1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Happy birthday, Nigel Adkins!

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Mar 11, 2020.

1. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

26 pass.

Thank you Nige.

2. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Ah yes, 22 must've been the one that Redders scored recently.

3. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

A privilege to have experienced those back to back promotions.

I said at the time being a Saints fan would never get better than that, and it hasn’t really (though The San Siro and Wembley in the same season came close).

Thanks for the memories Nige, and happy birthday mate

4. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Every once in a while I watch old Saints videos, just to keep my memory of them sound. And every time I play the Boro video I count the passes. There was always some controversy as to whether it was 25 or 26. But I count the pass into the goal by David Connolly. Now there was a great striker too.

5. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Even at his age and with injury restrictions his class shone through, really shrewd business by Pards to get him in.

6. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

7. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

A story about Nigel that I don't think I've ever put in the public domain before...

In my first season working at Arsenal, back in 2016, I was given the job of finding someone to speak about Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain for an in-depth feature in the monthly Arsenal Magazine. It could be anyone connected to Alex's past, but the more relevant and high profile the better.

I set myself a target of trying to get Nigel Adkins. I really wanted to interview him. And so, I spent a good while chasing round for a phone number for Nigel, emailing and phoning his old clubs and explaining that Arsenal wanted to interview him for a feature. I eventually got a number, on a promise from someone that knew Nigel from working together many years ago, telling me that this was his private mobile number and if he asked, I didn't get the number off of him.

So, I phoned Nigel. I was a bit nervous and wasn't even sure if it would be him. The phone rang a couple of times and then someone picked up.

"Hello..."
    "Hello, is this Nigel Adkins?"
    "It might be... it depends who's calling!"

Anyway, I explained to Nigel who I was and why I was calling him, and asked if he would be willing to speak about AOC to me and when I could call back. To my surprise, there and then, he said he was on a walk in the New Forest and to give him 20 seconds, he was going to jog to a nearby bench.

He jogged to the bench and spent 15 minutes talking to me about Alex.

At the end, I decided to tell him I was a massive Saints fan and to say thank you for his work at the club. He could not have been more sound. He then spent another 15 minutes asking me about being a Saints fan, reminiscing over some of his favourite games and moments and discussing some of the other things about the club and his experience of being the Saints manager.

At the end, he offered - without any prompting - to meet up with me in Winchester for lunch and to speak to me for my academic paper. He could not have been any more helpful if he had tried.

Honestly, I know some people say you should never meet your heroes, but I'll always treasure that. A bit sad, I know, but it was such a pleasure. To this day, there are certain things we spoke about together that I've not repeated, and I will never repeat. But I'm so glad I got to spend some time just talking to him and to just have enjoyed such a candid conversation.

A top, top bloke who lived all the way up to his billing and more.

8. Libby

Libby 9-0

Cheers for sharing that DTLW. What a man.

st_brendy likes this.
  9. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

What a lovely story! Thanks for sharing that DTLW, genuinely heartwarming stuff there.

10. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Great story DTLW. Honestly got goosebumps reading it.

If I am ever lucky enough to meet him, I think the conversation will be short.

Just a handshake, a smile, a stare into the eyes, and the words "thank you"

11. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

I like him even more now.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  12. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Though to be fair I will say to him "What for?" <laugh><laugh><laugh>

It's Only A Game likes this.