1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Harrogate Town v Sunderland – Saturday 24th July 2021 - KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Jul 22, 2021.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Jul 24, 2021.
  1. Home win (Harrogate)

7.7%
  2. Away win

84.6%
  3. Draw

2.6%
  4. Meh - who cares!

5.1%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Sunderland travel to Harrogate in a pre-season friendly
    Capture.GIF
    Last time out Sunderland drew with York and Harrogate lost to Rotherham.

Lee Johnson says Sunderland still need six signings - or a minimum of four, if they are 'high quality'.
    Johnson has brought in three new faces already, but with seven players released over the summer, Charlie Wyke turning down a new contract, and Denver Hume's future not yet settled, he accepts that his squad is still short on both numbers and quality.
    Sunderland drew 1-1 with National League North side York City in a pre-season friendly at the York Community Stadium on Wednesday and afterwards Johnson was asked directly about how many new players he needs.
    Luke O’Nien has missed the last 2 games after suffering a problem with his dislocated shoulder but could be ready for Saturday. Alex Pritchard is recovering from Covid-19 and will be out until the end of July. Lynden Gooch came off as a precaution on Wednesday with a slight tweak to his hamstring. Bailey Wright has a groin strain -allegedly.
    Harrogate Town welcome back Jack Diamond, who played a crucial part in securing promotion back to the Football league. Town have only won one of their pre-season friendlies so far.

Lee Johnson:
    "I think we need a few, to be honest. If you gave me six, I'd take six. I'd take four if they were high quality, but I think we need a few. I wouldn't say I'm comfortable (with where Sunderland are) - I'm having sleepless nights, that's for sure."
    "What I am comfortable with is that we are working extremely hard in the background. It's a tough division this year and you have to have the quality, but at the moment we are a bit short."
    "The new season kicks off in two-and-a-half weeks' time and Johnson admits that it is a race against time to bring in signings."
    "At the moment I don't think our back four will be settled until the week before the season in the best-case scenario, and possibly even as late as three weeks into the season in the worst-case scenario."

Team Line ups
    Sunderland:
    Patterson; Flanagan, Younger, Doyle, Dyce; Neil, Embleton, O’Nien, McGeady, Diamond; Stewart.
    Subs: Burge, Richardson, Winchester, Almond, Gooch, O’Brien, Kimpioka, Hawkes
    Injured: Xhemajli, Willis, (Hume), Pritchard, Wright

Harrogate Town: Cracknell, Sheron, Page, McArdle, Hall, Pattinson, Falkingham, Kerry, Thomson, Muldoon, Orsi.
    Subs: Burrell, Oxley, Thomson, Martin, Armstrong, Trialist
    Injured: tbc

My two pence:
    I was impressed with the quality of the free youtube stream provided by York City. Surely we could do something similar for our U23 games.
    I liked the first half and we looked like we would control it similar to the Hearts game, but it didn’t pan out that way. Benji really should have won it at the end, but hey, it’s only pre-season and at least we didn’t lose.
    I'm going for a 2-0 away win.

Live stream is now free to watch <cheers>
    https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/live-video

Ha’way the Lads

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  2. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

cheers again RTB...getting back into the swing of things already ;)

for what it's worth, i have liked the look of our attacking style, plenty of forward movement in contrast to the side and back then hoof we were getting used to...we could use those few players in pretty sharpish though but if we have to wait then we have to wait and hope they hit the ground running...and please, no more injured for the first 10 games, straight in and make a difference!!

3. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

At least we are playing football again, the youngsters are all confident holding the ball and playing it forwards. LJ might have to play a few more youngsters - maybe give Patrick Almond a go. He's a bit rough around the edges but he's a big strong lad, I'm sure he could do a job at right back.

4. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

i think it is also the type of football that will get the best out of gooch, diamond and geads (at least) and most likely pritchard when he is fit...all youngsters are a bit rough around the edges but the experience alone will round those edges ;)

5. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Yeah I think it will suit all the lads from the U23s - they are all used to playing that style.

I'm sure this must be Patrick's dad - proud moment signing his first contract.

6. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

Thanks again for a brilliant pre match analysis RTB i will look forward to your great match threads for the rest of the season

My take is, im not too bothered with a win, but i have put us down for one, Im more concerned with individual performances to match our expectations. Especially looking forward to some good constructive displays from the academy players as im hoping a few of them can step up to the plate this season

7. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

Great thread as usual RTB :)

8. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

I have to say, these match threads make the place ...

... excellent work mate.

9. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

Hopefully O’Nien can get at least 60 minutes into him. Patterson should play the full game with Carney on the bench also.

10. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

11. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

2-0 to the Lad's

Ha’way the Lads

12. Tongester55

Tongester55 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to watching it, with my 3 sons and 2 grandchildren - first time all together at a game since Wembley (Portsmouth).

13. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

Give Benji and Patterson 90 mins, and would you believe Grigg 60 mins if he plays like Sterling/Ronaldo and scores an hat-trick then great (but most likely do a danny graham), flanagan will have to get his finger out and stop the messing about. If Stewart is playing 0-3 he gets 2 and Mcgeady the other. We won't know untill the Hull game how good we are but need a striker and midfielder in quick.

14. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

10 sheets if anyone fancies it.....

RTB likes this.
  15. Comfy

Comfy Well-Known Member

16. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

17. Comfy

Comfy Well-Known Member

18. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Booooooo

Sack the board....

19. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Really bad of Harrogate to call this off so late. Their safety advisory personnel should get a massive arse reaming for this.

RTB, Dorset and Makemstine Roger like this.
  20. Tongester55

Tongester55 Well-Known Member

Doesn't make sense. If it was covid related then the game would be cancelled surely. They need to give a full explanation.

Gil T Azell likes this.