1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

He's Magic, You Know...

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Citizen Kane., Nov 19, 2019.

1. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

The news of Poch's sacking came so suddenly and so unexpectedly for me I've barely had time to gather my thoughts. Mixture of hurt, sadness, frustration, fear, confusion...such a mess at the moment. I thought it would be a nice touch for those who want to reminisce and take stock of the whirlwind that was the past 5 years to post memories, clips, pics etc. to celebrate the Pochettino era.

I'll kick things off with an obvious choice...

...Brings back so many memories. What hurts most is that Neville's remarks at the start of the video about players not showing commitment and not caring about the club ring painfully true today, more than 5 years on. Perhaps it feels as if we've come full circle.

Farewell gentle prince.

x

2. Citizen Kane.

3. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

4. Citizen Kane.

5. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

It’s terrifically sad. Not saying it’s right or wrong or won’t prove necessary in the long term. But Poch’s tenure has been amazing. He’s turned around what the club meant, and our expectations as fans with it. You could almost argue that he’s been a victim of his own success. Moments of his time with us will live with me forever. I can’t say more right now because I almost can’t believe he’s not our manager anymore.

6. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

Definite mistake from Levy but there is likely to be the new manager bounce syndrome in the next few matches. Whether the long term will be better, who knows. I doubt it myself. Thanks to Poch for the best period of play I can remember and getting us to the CL final

remembercolinlee likes this.
  7. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Monumental screw up imho.
    Bollocks

paultheplug and Roo like this.
  8. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The last time he played well for us he still had a surname.
    We're going to hear a lot of players telling us how much they loved Pochettino.
    Maybe they should've showed that on the pitch over the course of the last year, then?

9. humanbeingincroydon

Well I know for a fact that Danny Rose won't be tweeting anything...

10. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Will be serious for a second (I know, it's a rarity).

This really has been a dogshit year for me and my family. Lost my Grandad in Feb, lost my Nan in October, my Mum had hip replacement surgery the day before the CL final, my Cousin had pneumonia in which - to quote the doctor - he was lucky to be alive, my Uncle was hospitalised recently where initial indications were a minor heart attack, and due to the loss of my grandparents there's a huge divide in the family where unfortunately some have shown their true colours with regards to money.

At times you look to football for a pick me up and so it sucked that the one year things outside of football were ****, the things in football also were. The CL run did provide one huge beacon of light though, I was in Dam for the semi final, not actually at the game but nonetheless it was incredible and the build up to the final was surreal.
    But in general I can relive some great memories that he's provided and a simple trip to YouTube can always put a smile on your face, he made me feel proud of this club again, we saw a hunger and fight from this team that we hadn't seen for ages. Amazing results against rivals as well as some of the very best sides on the planet. He also helped develop academy players which means so much to us as fans with one becoming arguably the best striker in world football right now.

While I may have felt his time here had run it's course for now, he's still easily my favourite manager in my lifetime and I won't be surprised if that remains for many years to come.

Really wish the guy all the best and I'd like to think that the door isn't shut on a potential return in the future under different circumstances.

haslam, BluefromBridgend, Roo and 3 others like this.

11. BobbyD

BobbyD President

yeah, he was a great guy. As an outsider looking in, he created a great side and he was a manager whom you couldn't help but admire. Barely whinged, was generally modest and just seemed quite a nice and charismatic guy. It's a shame the way it ended for him, especially since he did all the hard work of building a team up on a budget and not being able to see the new big money spending should levy use the finances you generate from the stadium now.

As for your **** year, it's a shame but hopefully character building. As for the divide in your family my ones gone through a similar sort of thing because of a huge falling out. It's crap but at the same time at least you know peoples true colours and you don't have to waste your time spending time with them.

If you get mourinho, it's going to be mighty funny because thats a massive u turn on being an attractive football playing side. I would be in intrigued by how some of the fans will have to feel because theres a few of you who intensely dislike him (tbf he's become a massive twat post real) due to his demeanor, his football, the rivalry and his arrogance.

Dier Hard likes this.
  12. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Yeah it's definitely made me value the things I have as well as had.

Poch, yeah he was a true gent, if anything in this day and age, being a gent is probably a bad thing because nice guys really do finish last! He was a rare breed and as I've said, even though I felt this current spell had to end, I definitely hope the door isn't shut on a return. If some people's theories on Levy/ ENIC are correct in that they'll look to sell within a couple years then I think depending on how on-field performances are at the time, you'll find a lot of Spurs fans who'll pray the new owners make a call to Poch if a new manager is on the agenda.

As for Jose, it's looking likely now according to Sky. Very, very weird for me. I've been someone who's been highly critical of him, from relying on huge money to throwing people under the boss when his usual third season meltdown occurs, as well as often coming across an arrogant prick but it can't be denied that his record is phenomenal. For sure, it's been helped due to the financials but the guy really does know how to win - if anyone hasn't seen it, I'd highly recommend looking on YouTube for a video where he discusses how he beat Barca with Inter, like him or not, it's a fascinating watch. His football has not always been pretty but I think fans are happy to look beyond that if the football gets results. I've said in the past I'd be happy to sacrifice style for substance and if Jose can indeed do that then so be it.

13. BobbyD

BobbyD President

The one last thing i forgot to mention about Poch was his undying loyalty. Many of the "bigger" clubs would have loved to have hired him yet he stayed at spurs.

As for Jose, he's not looked the same since his meltdown with us (first time he was sacked on performance). Granted, he normally does pretty will in the first 2 years at any club so it might be a good short term hire (even at united he "overachieved" in both seasons imo). The downside is the only team he left in a decent position was us whereas the rest of the sides he's taken over have usually gone to pot

14. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Hope the next 12 months are way more peaceful in your personal life...and that the money grabbers in your family get mugged...<whistle>

PleaseNotPoll and Dier Hard like this.
  15. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I guess it's the hope that he can bring some success. This team really should've have won something, it's arguably too good not to have done. Some are on their last legs and performances/ results have been gash of late but there's still a lot of quality here. If he can get the best out of it, even if only on a short term basis then so be it.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  16. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Appreciate that mate, cheers.

You and I both on the latter part <laugh>

bigsmithy9 and remembercolinlee like this.
  17. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Thank you for the memories Poch

please log in to view this image

I truly believe Levy stunted his growth as a manager by not seriously backing him...another one bites the ENIC dust

Roo likes this.
  18. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

How have they gone to pot?

Every club he has left has won trophies galore since..apart from United and what did he mess up? He got them 2nd when they were dog **** and he isn’t really up for managing tossers like Pogba or half of your squad in his 2nd stint so he self destructed....that’s a pretty normal reaction actually. He won’t manage exactly the type of footballer all fans complain about due to their stinking attitudes so I dont see the problem. We just don’t like it happening to our clubs but sometimes it’s just what the club needs. Hazard stopped playing for Jose..well really he stopped playing for Chelsea as did most of your squad when he got sacked. That was ok though because Jose is a ****? They soon remembered how to play once he left.

Jose just exposes ****ishness within clubs by outing everyone’s favourites so the fans don’t take to it well. That’s all I ever see...I don’t see this big destructive force that causes turmoil within clubs.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  19. BobbyD

BobbyD President

As i said, he left us in an excellent state the first time and even the 2nd state we were not too bad.

Look where United languish, you can blame that on ole or you can see what he left behind.

Fred 47m
    Dalot, 19m
    Lindelof 31m
    Matic 40m
    lukaku 75m
    Pogba 89m
    bailly 30m
    mkhitaryan 30m
    Sanchez another 25m?

He did amazing to win them the europy first season and come 2nd the next. However you look at his buys and the money spent and the carcass that is united and what happens to the clubs he leaves. Inter was the same (you could blame the fat spanish waiter who ineivitably had a part to it)

He was an awesome coach and he used to be protective of his players until after Real. Ever since then he's been moody as **** and has thrown his players under the bus. I will be surprised if he lasts more than the 3 years, hell i'll be surprised if he lasts til the end of next summer.

Saying that he's a chelsea legend and i wouldn't mind him staying at yours for a little while just to splurge some of levys money

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  20. humanbeingincroydon