1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Heung-min Son

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, May 23, 2022.

1. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

2 The only rule is that you must be 1* yard away from any wall as far as I recall (* possibly some other distance). Another stupid recent change to the Laws

2. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

“Apparently to the media I am not good enough. Yes I am obviously disappointed to be omitted from the premier league player of the year Award Nominees but I think from now on I just have to try and win an award that doesn’t depend on votes like Golden Boot. There you have no choice but numbers because you don’t vote for it, numbers are the ones that clear the situation. In England I feel so small, but in Asia I am so happy and appreciated. But I am playing for myself, my team, my country, family and fans. And I love what I do so its ok.”

Im glad he sees the agenda

I’ve noticed it for a while myself

Left on the Shelf likes this.
  3. Left on the Shelf

Left on the Shelf Well-Known Member

I really don't like that he doesn't feel appreciated in England.
    There is clearly an agenda at PL level, but I think he's a very popular individual with (most) football fans across the country.
    I hate to think that this decision clouds his general sense of belonging. We need him here...and happy!

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  4. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

W
    M

----------------------O

Obviously "institutionally" waaycist throughout the PL, PFA etc ...

5. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The PFA Award is voted for by the players, though. You think they have an agenda against him?

6. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

I get why Son feels the way he does

quite why he doesn’t get the respect he deserves is beyond me

7. The RDBD

Unless tis disrespect being shown, then I would not worry.
    Spurs supporters, and his adoring fandom in
    Korea and SE Asia, know exactly how good Son is.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  8. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I think the primary reason is that he plays for Spurs.
    How long was Kane getting ****, despite winning the Golden Boot repeatedly?
    The media went from knocking him to trying to sell him off.

There are some other factors, in my opinion.
    Not winning anything, being a bit streaky and being overshadowed by his strike partner, for example.
    He's also incredibly dull off the pitch, so he's got no media interest outside of the sport.
    You can't slag him off for his affairs, spending habits or violent drinking bouts.
    All positive points, but not for the journos trying to steal a living.

I've said for years that he's the perfect modern player and a manager's dream.
    Works hard, trains hard, scores, assists, pacey, happy to put a foot in and has no distractions.
    Players are likely to pick winners for awards, though. De Bruyne is a fair choice.
    I'd put Son ahead of Kane, Mane and Ronaldo this season, but you can see why they're there.

9. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

The witch hunt after the completely accidental injury of Andre Gomes was diabolical imo and exposed the shocking double standards in this country's media as well as the rather unpleasant underbelly of football fans across the country. Even after the red was overturned, the vitriol didn't abate and he is still booed loudly at that National Headquarters of Booing and ****ing Miserable Gits, Goodison Park.

It all began with the dismissal against Bournemouth, which came at the end of 40mins of Jefferson Montera kicking everything in sight with impunity. Son seemed to be a 'marked' man after that, then the Gomes incident a few months later compounded the situation and by the time we played Chelsea and Rudiger had perfected his rolling around on the floor bit, the country was baying for him to be sent off. This despite the fact that Maguire failed to see red for an identical incident the following week. Because reasons.

The media, pundits and to an extent the public in this country have long held a perverse fetish for fallen heroes. They love nothing more than building a person up before leaving them to be hung, drawn and quartered. It is the reason so many players falter on these shores and equally the reason so many nasty characters (read: 'cheats') prosper, as they are simply congratulated as being 'clever'.

The sequence reminded me of how Bale received a booking for diving from one over-zealous referee, and thereafter he became a pariah, refs couldn't get the yellow out fast enough whenever he was fouled. So instead of celebrating one of the most outrageously gifted young talents this island has ever produced, the narrative took a u-turn and suddenly the PFA YPOTY was in fact a dirty diving cheat whose only talent was going to ground too easily.

The hypocrisy makes me sick.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
  10. Left on the Shelf

Left on the Shelf Well-Known Member

<laugh><laugh><laugh>

11. The RDBD

So much typing could have been saved by just putting "Booodison park" .

12. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

The fact that Brenton was the one who cemented Bale as a diver in the minds of referees and pundits alike while by complete coincidence managing a team that included Steven Gerrard and Luis Suarez makes the hypocrisy even more obvious

13. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

And going on to manage the likes of Vardy and his prize padawan, Maddison.

14. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

He tends to have hot streaks, but when he’s not on it, he can very ineffective. Look through the match day threads and you’ll see that.
    Overall there’s no doubt he is an incredible player - and if he was part of the City or Liverpool front three, his stats would be far superior to the players you mention - but at present, he probably goes under the radar because he is not headline news often enough.

15. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

PFA awards are voted for before December if I’m not mistaken

so basically what Son needs to do to get in the list is to act like his head has been turned by transfer speculation and have a bit of a sulk on matchdays

bit like Harry Kane was doing around that time

16. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

No Rodri, no Son, but Ronaldo and Thiago? Yeah, no.

17. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

PFA knows FA as per usual, then

18. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Surely the players are best placed to judge?
    It's one thing pundits or journalists or officials giving opinions from aware, but those who play with and against them should know who's best. Or maybe the Spurs defence got more than one vote.

Diego likes this.
  19. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Having watched and listened to a wide variety of ex-players, particularly as pundits, no. Just no.
    I wouldn't trust Michael Owen to put his shoes on the right feet in the morning unaided, for example.
    Liverpool having twice as many players in the team as the side they finished behind is a clue, too.

There's also bias, laziness, disinterest and the timing of the vote to take into account.
    A wide variety of reasons why it's just plain wrong.

20. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

Apparently its not just the players all members of the PFA get 2 votes. If you are a current player you cannot vote for a player at your club, if you are an ex-player you can vote for anyone.