1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How to have fewer games...

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Turbia Milk, May 3, 2024.

1. moreinjuredthanowen

We played from 16th spet to December St 2 games per week to fit in the efl Cup, internationals and the league

There was no breaks.

Those midweek are "available" to the efl.now.

Where do the 2 extra games go?

Then look at how easy it is to play cl up to the qf. They have tje last 16 this year over a month while the europa last 32 and last 16 get played.

Now we are going to see the cl last 33 and last 16 packed into the same time so it'll be a week between rounds in last 16 and onwards.

It's going to be killer.

2. moreinjuredthanowen

No it's not the qf. Thts the thing.

It's a 2 legged play off to reach last 16 so it's the equivalent of being 2nd in your europa group this year.

Zanjinho likes this.
  3. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I'll go back to my original point, the new format is ****ing ridiculous!

4. moreinjuredthanowen

I agree. It is and I can't see how the efl Cup can survive or where it can actually be played.

I am assuming the European sides will be fine with it but I've no idea when the scheduled games will be.

Those 2 added games, just two, either push the efl games.much earlier or much later and cock up the start of season or festive games.

Imo there's not enough midweeks left in the season for domestic cups now.
    I can only guess the season will run longer as a result.

5. InFrancroatiaWeTrust

InFrancroatiaWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

FFS <doh>

Turbia Milk and Zanjinho like this.
  6. InFrancroatiaWeTrust

Forum Moderator

Not totally random. You play 2 teams from pot 1, 2 from pot 2, 3, 4 and do one home one away from each pot.

moreinjuredthanowen likes this.
  7. Libby

Libby 9-0

I think it'd make a huge difference as the bulk of the tournament is done pre Christmas alongside the European group stages.

If a European team does well in the league cup they basically play every midweek up til Christmas and presumably that's only gonna get worse with new format?

I've thought league cup should be for non Europe sides for years. I think all other teams would automatically and take it more seriously too as it'd be so open and would add a lot of interest to it for fans.

Give the winners the conference league spot and you'd get a different winner every year.

saintPort&Ginger likes this.
  8. moreinjuredthanowen

I'll bet you won't.

Why. City u21s win it 5 years in a row while the usual suspects rest everyone to focus on survival.

9. Libby

Libby 9-0

City wouldn't be in it

saintPort&Ginger likes this.
  10. moreinjuredthanowen

I'll bet they will cosnas much as you'd like it the efl wouldn't wear it and uefa would take the place off the competition if all clubs can't qualify via the space.

11. saintPort&Ginger

Why would UEFA worry about which English teams are in the Conference? The big guns would already be in the two premier competitions, and the ones who win the EFL won't exactly be cannon-fodder for the Euro-Conference.
    Look at the PL teams that won't make the CL or Europey for next season, I'm pretty sure they could hold their own against the likes of Genk and Sturm Graz.
    Anyway, that wasn't my initial point - it was that ditching the EFL is wrong and just removing the teams playing in Europe is a more acceptable solution.

12. moreinjuredthanowen

Because they never wanted the competition to have that place.

They'd be delighted to get England to put it to the leavue like most others.

They'd like the fa cup to get it tbh.

I agree with your point. I am just saying the second thsts tried uefa will come knocking

Remember these people were corrected in their own attempts to be elitist by giving the extra two cl places to big clubs with records.

They will not allow a competition that excludes clubs (even if they want exclusion) to have a europen place.

The reality is the only solution that might be possible is further byes in the competition so 6 clubs join in at qf stage or something ridiculous

13. saintPort&Ginger

Are we talking at cross-purposes or am I being a bit thick here? Winning the EFL won't put the big clubs into the Conference because they'd already be in the CL and Europa, apart from the odd blip.
    Those clubs are never in the Conference anyway, so nobody's being excluded in practice.
    Cba checking, but I'm sure the winners of the EFL for several years now also qualified for the major Euro competitions.
    I'm not advocating for the EFL to get a place, btw - that was Libby - I'm just saying take the teams already in Europe out of the EFL as a contribution to easing the fixture congestion.

14. moreinjuredthanowen

That is true but the spot then passes to the league not the runner up

If you just remove anyone already in Europe from the competition then let those 6 clubs have no opportunity to win the spot.

Hence uefa won't be happy.

They do not want club from the championship with ****ty grounds qualifying because as much as it talks uefa is elitist.

If there's no efl Cup European spot then it becomes the equivalent of the Johnstone paint trophy.

That's tje issue.

But I am also 100% sure city would want to enter their u21s and win it anyway

15. AndyI

AndyI Well-Known Member

The format doesn't allow that.

Real and Bayern will be in pot1 along with Liverpool. You can only play 2 of them in the league stage. 1 at home and 1 away

16. moreinjuredthanowen

Yeah but it's just a point about how you could get a stinker of a away set of games, as I said it could not happen

17. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

The winners of the Carabo Cup do already qualify for the European Conference spot. It's just not been won by a team that hasn't already qualified for a higher European place yet.

18. InFrancroatiaWeTrust

Forum Moderator

Think that’s mitos point. Atm there is a chance any random team from England coukd go into it, but so far it’s always been one of the top 7 as the cups always been won by a team finishing higher anyway.

Take out all of the european clubs and suddenly you’re guaranteed that a team finishing 8th or lower is in the competition.

19. moreinjuredthanowen

Exactly, which uefa will hate as it's elitist no matter what it purports to claim.

20. Turbia Milk

Turbia Milk Well-Known Member

Or consolidate them. X weeks in summer. X weeks in winter. Other than that... Bugger off.

The constant break/restart isn't good for clubs and isn't good for nations. Both would perform better if there wasn't constant gear changing. If nations didn't send players back after a week each time they would be less likely to do stupid things to injure them because they would know the player would be spending time recovering on their time, not the club time. (Plus players less likely to get injured if playing different role/training routine).

The constant stop/start is in no one's best interest.

Zanjinho and johnsonsbaby like this.