1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

HOW WILL THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2023/24 END

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by realred1952, Jul 5, 2023.

1. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

TOP 12 ....
    LEEDS
    LEICESTER
    MIDDLESBRO
    SOUTHAMPTON
    NORWICH
    SUNDERLAND
    WATFORD
    IPSWICH
    perm 4 from
    WEST BROM
    STOKE
    BRISTOL CITY
    BLACKBURN
    BIRMINGHAM
    COVENTRY
    SHEFF WED
    MILLWALL

remaining 4 join for "middle of the table finish"

SWANSEA
    QPR
    HUDDERSFIELD
    HULL

RELEGATION bottom 4
    CARDIFF
    PLYMOUTH
    ROTHERHAM
    PRESTON

THIS LOOKS TO BE THE HARDEST championship in a decade.

2. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

A football thread over here - TFFT well done JGF.............<laugh><laugh>

I'll comment first - there is no way Cardiff will finish in the bottom 4. We've been there and done that thanks very much.

As far as potential strugglers are concerned, I've got a feeling one of the Prem drop outs could be down there - I'll go for Leeds.

3. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Haven't you had your funding slashed recently though Sparkey with the ruling that you have to pay the remainder of the fee for that poor chap who died in that plane crash?

4. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

We can't spend anyway due to the embargo - well not transer fees that is.

New man at the helm and two new freebees on board already - one of them today.

Never know - maybe Ramsey as well later this week. :emoticon-0105-wink:

5. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Sparkey, putting all the club/country banter and rivalry aside, do you really think you won't be a potential bottom 4 side? If you look at last season, only 2 teams amassed less points than you, and they went down, along with a side who amassed more points than you. You know you can't spend fees to improve the squad, so how do you think your league position is likely to improve? It's likely Plymouth will struggle, as they don't appear to have the financial muscle to compete; whereas, everyone expects Sheff Weds and Ipswich will, but they amassed over 100 points in winning that league, so shouldn't just be dismissed, only the very best have ever done that...
    So, you then look at who's left in the Championship from last season, and that points to you and Rotherham as the most likely to be bottom 4.

I agree that at least one of the relegated teams will struggle, but don't see any of them being in relegation danger. It's still early doors in the transfer market, but I think Leicester will find it the hardest. All their top assets will be stripped, and they have crippling debts - which I read will take all of their parachute payments and more, so they will find it hard.

Oldsparkey likes this.
  6. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Supcon - that was last season as you quite rightly say. We've learnt a lesson and am convinced we wont go there again.

Not being able to pay a fee for a player is not necessarily a killer blow. Apart from permanently signing out of contract players (there are plenty out there), with the EFL decision to reduce our embargo to two windows now ending this summer, we're able to loan players until January and have a prior agreement to then purchase them in that window.

We all know this is a tough league and there will be some unexpected casualties which may not be obvious right now - the "obvious" one is us but I don't honestly think so.

7. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

I honestly think you’ll struggle, I can’t see anything to suggest otherwise, it’s not even as if you had turned things around, you hadn’t .
    There you are mate I think you’re going down, that’s a good omen I rarely get these things right <laugh>

8. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Bookmarked........<laugh><laugh>

9. AshtonRed

In fairness I was right we’d finish above you last season, considering how low you finished that want difficult though<laugh>

10. bcfcredandwhite

Without knowing the financial constraints of every club it’s very difficult to predict with any accuracy.
    Normally I’d say the newly promoted teams from League 1 would be favourites for the drop but I can’t see Sheffield Wednesday and Ipswich struggling.
    Plymouth are likely to struggle but who else?
    Probably Rotherham and one other - Birmingham? Huddersfield?
    I’m not sure about Cardiff - I can’t see them carrying their poor form over into next season any more than clubs on good form carry it over. The form slate is wiped clean.

11. realred1952

I usually do 3 or 4 run through's if I have time ! .. takes a while! but I seem to get by on just 4 or 5 hours sleep.... ! then one day might catch up with with about 8 or 9 !

very difficult to assess CARDIFF, new kid on the block and a bit of financial restriction. City I dont rate that highly either, have to to "fight the bias" factor and sometimes a bit lax!! Leeds & Leics both had 92 pts! WBA to Millwall 62 pts to 60pts .. bottom 4 were 40 -39 pts.

Still a lot of business transfer wise to do so teams will get "upgraded" !
    Last season it worked out quite well ...

12. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

You continually contribute with ideas, facts and possibilities jgf2, you've been doing it for 12 years plus to my memory, you are individual, factual and make us aware, we might have a joke with you but you are one of us and valued, keep giving us the facts as you see them, we all enjoy your input, that is a fact as we see them..

13. realred1952

thanks Wiz .. enjoy all your info posts as well been longer than 12 closer to 16 or 18

14. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Yep - keep posting JGF. <ok>

15. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Just noticed this Ashton. I think you made that prediction when you were 10 points above us with 10 games to go - not exactly a long shot......<laugh><laugh>

16. AshtonRed

It was closer than 10 points, and you had games in hand, you were convinced you’d end up above us, which is why I predicted otherwise. You are getting old and forgetful <laugh><laugh>

17. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

That's very rude and a slight on the majority on here.....<laugh>

Anyway, that was last season - this thread of JGF's is about the here and now - let's just see how it goes eh? :emoticon-0105-wink:

18. AshtonRed

<laugh><laugh>Me included

My prediction is we’ll end up above you again. As will most of the teams :emoticon-0105-wink:

19. bcfcredandwhite

Convinced?
    I wasn’t convinced Ashton - I went over to their board and reminded Sparkey how crap he thought we were and how sad I was when I looked at the table !!!
    At least we gave them the highlight of the season - beating us at their place <laugh>

20. AshtonRed

Oh yea of little faith, yes I was convinced, the only time I doubted it was after WBA at home, Boxing Day wasn’t it? , on leaving AG that day I thought we were in big trouble.