1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Huddersfield Town 0 v 0 Swansea City

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Nov 10, 2022.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

Competition - Sky Bet Championship
    Venue - John Smiths Stadium
    Date - 12 November 2022
    Kick off - 3:00pm

Following their hard fought 2-2 draw at Birmingham on Tuesday evening, next up for Russell Martin’s Swansea squad is an away match at Huddersfield.

On Tuesday evening, Troy Deeney hit a late equaliser as Birmingham City claimed a point from an entertaining 2-2 draw with the Swans.

The Swans had looked set for a comeback victory at St Andrew's, having fallen behind to Scott Hogan's early header.

Olivier Ntcham's fine 20-yard drive brought the visitors level before a rare goal from captain Matt Grimes - even more rare was that it was with his right foot!

However, in the 90th minute, veteran Blues skipper Deeney struck from point-blank range for his third goal in 10 games to salvage a point for John Eustace's side.

Russell Martin's Swansea move up to eighth in the Championship having failed to win in four matches, although three of those have been draws.

On the same evening, Josh Ruffels scored his first two goals for Huddersfield - including an audacious winner - as the Championship's bottom side overcame high-flying Queens Park Rangers at Loftus Road.

Lyndon Dykes had taken just 81 seconds to put the hosts ahead in his 100th appearance for the club, with the opener coming just moments after Seny Dieng kept Danny Ward out in a one-on-one at the other end.

The Terriers were quick to respond as the frenzied early pace of the game continued, with Ruffels levelling with a powerful finish into the top corner.

The defender decisively beat Dieng again with a hooked overhead finish from the top of the box before the break.

Terriers goalkeeper Lee Nicholls made two crucial second-half saves, denying Tim Iroegbunam and Taylor Richards, as Huddersfield hung on for their first win away from home this season.

Despite their victory, Huddersfield remain bottom of the Championship, two points behind Wigan and West Brom.

Including the very first fixture on Christmas Day 1952, the Swans have played the Terriers on 60 occasions, winning 17, drawing 17 and losing 26.

In the corresponding fixture last season, the teams battled out a 1-1 draw:

Turning to Saturday - the final match ahead of the FIFA World Cup in Qatar - the Terriers will be buoyed by their excellent win at Loftus Road and will be eager to end this stage of the season with a victory that could take them above either - or both - ‘manager-less’ Wigan and West Brom.

As for the Swans, they will be keen to maintain their chances of making the Play-Offs, currently sitting just 1pt below 6th placed QPR, and I think that the Swans are more than capable of returning to South Wales with at least a point.

I’m going for a 1-1 draw <cheers>

2. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

oh Jebus ! I feel ready to be disappointed yet again with this one. Hope I'm way off but I think we'll lose by a goal (probably late)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
  3. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

Thanks Taff. I appear to have been suffering from misplaced optimism these last three games. So I have no option but to carry on so its a 2-0 win to the Swans!

4. swantastic

swantastic Well-Known Member

Time to dish out an away hiding ?
    4-1 us

5. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

Our purple patch is over and I'd be happy with a point but I fear a home win 2 - 1.

6. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Thanks Taff.......you can now have a WC rest....or will you prematching Wales games?
    We wait in anticipation :emoticon-0109-kiss:
    Tomorrow.......
    Terriers 2 Swans 3
    Safe and rewarding journey to all that travel
    YJB's <smooch>

7. Taffvalerowdy

8. Taffvalerowdy

Ollie Cooper comes into the starting XI in the sole change to the Swansea City side to face Huddersfield.

Cooper, fresh from being named as a travelling standby player for the Wales World Cup squad, comes in for Luke Cundle in the only alteration from the midweek draw at Birmingham.

Cundle drops to the bench, while Fin Stevens is on the bench as Matty Sorinola misses out.

Steven Benda continues in goal with Harry Darling, Ben Cabango and Nathan Wood making up the Swansea defence.

Ryan Manning and Joel Latibeaudiere are the wing-backs, with Jay Fulton and skipper Matt Grimes in midfield.

Cooper joins Olivier Ntcham in providing support to Joel Piroe in attack.

Huddersfield Town: Lee Nicholls, Luke Mbete, Sorba Thomas, Jordan Rhodes, Josh Ruffels, Kaine Kesler-Hayden, David Kasumu, Jack Rudoni, Ben Jackson, Tom Lees (captain), Michal Helik.

Substitutes: Nicholas Bilokapic, Connor Mahoney, Duane Holmes, Brodie Spencer, Brahima Diarra, Loick Ayina, Danny Ward.

Swansea City: Steven Benda; Nathan Wood, Harry Darling, Ben Cabango; Joel Latibeaudiere, Jay Fulton, Matt Grimes (captain), Ryan Manning; Ollie Cooper, Olivier Ntcham; Joel Piroe.

Substitutes: Andy Fisher, Michael Obafemi, Jamie Paterson, Luke Cundle, Armstrong Oko-Flex, Fin Stevens, Kyle Naughton.

55282 and DragonPhilljack like this.
  9. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

Anyone gorra working link ?

10. Taffvalerowdy

Nope

DragonPhilljack likes this.

11. daimungeezer

It appears from the stats that we're dominating so far.

12. Taffvalerowdy

Ntcham booked

13. daimungeezer

71% possession, 9 attempts, 4 on target, no goals... same old :(

14. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

15. daimungeezer

16. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

This is one of the first away kits that I don't like, just saying as I watch another bore feast from our prozac team, added by Little Leon who could send a glass eye to sleep, love him!....<laugh>

daimungeezer and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  17. daimungeezer

Which one is it? Orange or grey?

18. DragonPhilljack

We usually are very charitable to the bottom dross teams? Just stating the obvious I know!.......<whistle>

daimungeezer and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  19. DragonPhilljack

Orange and blue.....<ok>

daimungeezer likes this.
  20. DragonPhilljack

This is starting to look like one of those boring 0-0 draws?.....<laugh>

Taffvalerowdy likes this.