1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Huw jenkins proved right in sacking laudrup

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by DragonPhilljack, Feb 24, 2014.

1. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

It’s fair to say that Swansea City and chairman Huw Jenkins received a lot of criticism for their shock decision a few weeks ago to sack manager Michael Laudrup. The man that had got the club into Europe – thanks to winning their first ever major trophy. Big achievements in just one season for the Dane, but football moves and changes very quickly, and you just cannot keep a man in the job because of what he achieved the previous year. The simple fact is that for whatever reason(s), the Swans weren’t performing under Michael Laudrup and were sinking further and further into a worrying relegation scrap.

Huw Jenkins installed defender and former skipper Garry Monk as head coach and Laudrup’s replacement. A bold call you could say – an understatement for sure. The chairman received further criticism for that, even from the club’s fans, with some convinced we were heading for the drop for giving the job to someone with absolutely no experience whatsoever.

You have to wonder though if they forgot about how our passing style and philosophy was born at Swansea City Football Club. Roberto Martinez returned to the club back in 2007, having left to join Chester City – still as a player – and with no management experience whatsoever – just like Monk. The Spaniard, now at Everton, implemented a completely new way of playing, and it’s what has got us to the English top flight. He got the ball rolling for want of a better pun, and Rodgers was able to take it a step further with another promotion following Martinez’s League One title win. Martinez took to management like a duck to water, and Monk has enjoyed the same start too in his new role.

The massive differences in so many aspects of Swansea City’s play between Laudrup’s final few games – particularly West Ham, and those under Monk just says it all. You only need to watch the horrendous show at the Boleyn Ground before the heroics against Cardiff City 7 days later to convince yourselves of the many issues that existed under the guidance of our former manager. In just three days in charge, Garry Monk was able to inspire a Swansea City performance that we have been craving for many, many months. A performance full of attributes and qualities that we desperately lacked in previous matches. Effort, desire, belief, quality, determination and players playing effectively to their full potential gave our arch rivals no chance at the Liberty Stadium.

Given the huge differences in our intensity following Monk’s leadership, you have to wonder what Laudrup had the players doing on the training pitch. The players looked unorganised defensively, lacking ideas and sluggish. Huw Jenkins was evidently worried with our training and performances that he wanted a change of coaching staff. when it looked like Garry Monk maybe involved in a possible coaching staff shake-up, Jenkins felt the need for drastic measures, got rid of Laudrup and put Monk in charge indefinitely.

And it wasn’t a one-off either, as some might have thought. The Swans got their first point at Stoke City in the Premier League, before producing an even better performance than that against Cardiff when italian giants Napoli visited the Europa League last Thursday night. 0-0 was the result, but the Swans really should have given themselves a numeric advantage ahead of next week’s tough return leg.

We’ve been spoilt for choice for ‘best performance of the season’ under Monk already recently, as the Swans performed admirably once more, this time away at Liverpool, one of the strongest home sides in the division. Former manager Brendan Rodgers rather arrogantly, although correctly pointed out after the 4-3 thriller at Anfield that Monk has got the Swans playing like he had them playing during his two years at the club – attacking with purpose and confidence. Wayne Routledge and Nathan Dyer look like different players, set pieces look threatening again, the defence is organised and Pablo Hernandez looks like a new signing.

Of course, as with any other coach or manager, Monk will be rated by results and so far they’ve been excellent. The Players and fans both seem in confident mood and if they continue to maintain the performance levels, then we should be in for a solid end to the season. It’s too early to say whether Monk should be given the job permantly or not, but what we do know for certain, is that Huw Jenkins definitely made the right call in sacking Michael Laudrup. - comeonyouswans.com

Link: http://www.comeonyouswans.com/2014/02/23/jenkins-proved-right-yet-sacking-laudrup/

What a great read and so on the money!...................<ok>

2. Jack Uzi

Jack Uzi Active Member

Surely all but the biggest idiot can see this now.

3. swanselona

swanselona Well-Known Member

Nope, and unless I am the biggest idiot, the only change is that Monk has got us playing with as mentioned, spirit, desire, everything else is as it was, any fool can see that.

People claim we now use the wings, yet Laudrup against West Ham was seen on the touch lines asking his wingers to hold their width, so was it really a drastic change as people claim, no it was not.

Performances have been up, yes there is no doubt, but nothing has actually changed, we have won 1 out of 5 in Monks reign, so a 20% success rate. After all, we don't like to consider the opposition on this forum do we when criticising Laudrup, so lets not do it when praising Monk. Fair is fair and all remember.

So Monk has won 1 out of 5 - so a 20% win rate.
    Laudrup this season won 12 out of 37 matches, so a 32% win rate

Even if you are to include the end of last seasons results. Laudrup won 14 our of 48 matches, which is a 25% win rate. Still superior to our current win rate under Monk.

So again, how can it be proved to be the right choice when its a results business.

Only look at the last 5 of each

ML - Man Utd, Tottenham, Birmingham, Fulham, West Ham = 40% win rate
    GM - Cardiff, Stoke, Everton, Napoli, Liverpool = 20% win rate

So again, where is the proof other than performance levels that we made the right choice?

Yes performance levels are much better under GM, but even with performance levels below par, ML was still getting us results, people claim we were in a relegation scrap, but as mentioned, only because they are too naive to understand how our fixture schedule was horrendous. Yet see how many jump to GM's aid now that I have brought up win rates, and bring up the fact that we played Everton, Napoli and Liverpool in those 5 games as a sort of defence, yet used no such tactics when criticising ML.

So no there is still a long way to go, as the performances may be up, but as those who wanted Laudrup gone, its a results business, and other than performance levels, our points tally is no different than many of us expected anyway under ML.

4. roofjack_22

roofjack_22 Well-Known Member

A loss on Thursday and that will be 1 win in 5 games . Ratio that out and you get 8 wins in 40 games , sound familiar . Only difference is all hail Monk or all hang Laudrup .

5. swanselona

1 win in 6 mate, so even worse.

As that would equate to 6.6 wins in 40 games.

Just wait til they all start calling for Monks head, you know its going to happen, they haven't even accounted for the boost a new manager usually brings, or the rest that our players have had, and that will soon go as the fixtures come in thick and fast again.

I mean we just had 3 in quick succession, yet picked up 0 wins. But we cannot mention those were Everton (a), Napoli (h), Liverpool (a) as that would be using double standards, and our super fans who are knifing ML in the back don't seem the sort to have double standards.

6. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

The only true way of knowing how success or not we'll be under Monk is if he starts next season as the manager .With preseason training ,new players of his own (if he chooses to buy which he needs to ) and 5 games into the season .By then he'll have shaken off the Laudrup effect totally and he stands or falls by his decisions ,at the moment he's a new kid on the block with a "positive new manager syndrome "in effect .We're a lot more forgiving at the moment wait until the going gets really tough like a run of difficult , overloaded run of fixtures and throw in half the 1st team squad unavailable .So far we're doing ok and back to what we're good at and long may that continue.

7. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

Exactly. So we're all agreed. So can everyone now PLEASE drop all this nonsense? It's getting incredibly tedious.

Thanks <ok>

8. Welshie

Welshie Chavcunt fanboy dickhead

Swansea sacking Laudrup basically due to a congested fixture list is a disgrace. From a neutrals point of view.

9. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

Why is it a disgrace ? the board made a decision which may prove to be the right one ,time will tell

10. Welshie

Welshie Chavcunt fanboy dickhead

I just feel sacking was unfair considering him winning your first major trophy in years and taking you to Europe. Although Newcastle have always been at it until recent history.

11. Norway-jack

Norway-jack Well-Known Member

Far too early to tell if it's the right move.

We lost at west ham like we always do, we lost against the big teams like Liverpool and everton like we normally do we have 1 win in 5 which was the same kind of stat that laudrup was getting so overall not much has really changed.

Monk has done great stepping up but nobody knows what will happen and if things would have been that different if laudrup had stayed .

It's a results business not a performance business until we get clear of relegation and put 2 wins together it's all up in the air.

I'm not having a go at monk or laudrup I'm just looking at it from neutral perspective ,while the performance level has increased so have our clearing of injuries.

It can be argued that the up lift in form dove tails with the return from injury of many key players, I think monk has done a goos job though I'm a bit worried that his use of players may come to haunt us when we are up against the teams we must win against.

Palace is more vital than Liverpool and Napoli and if we continue to pick up knocks like with shelvey then we could be back to square one with injuries at crucial times .

Monk needs to learn fast the best way to manage resources,I'm sure he will .

12. Yankee_Jack

Yankee_Jack Well-Known Member

The title of the thread is typical of the myopic, pro-HJ / sweep **** under the rug / move-on types.

As I have said on another thread .... far too early to make any pronouncement or validation of the decision to replace Laudrup with Monk. The full accounting of this fiasco will not happen until: a) the end of the season and we know where we are in the league; b) the final settlement is reached with Laudrup and we know how much money we've had to reallocate financially without receiving any value in return; and a new one .... c) the end of the close season and we see how easy or difficult it is to acquire players to maintain our competitive status, never mind improve to challenge for the upper tier.

This fiasco is going to have long legs. It's all very well getting drunk in the mock celebration of anti-Laudrup fever ... but the hang-over could yet prove to be a mother.

13. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

We would Definitely be relegated under Laudrup where as under monk we at least have more than a chance of staying up...
    What a master stroke by jinx and thank god He finally agreed with me and some others that Laudrups way needed to go and the swansea way needed to come back..There is no argument about it..<ok>

14. Yankee_Jack

Yankee_Jack Well-Known Member

Such clairvoyance .... you couldn't give me the winner in the 3:00 pm at Aintree this Saturday could you? Be a good chap, we'll pool our money and make a killing.

15. LIBERTARIAN

LIBERTARIAN Well-Known Member

"He finally agreed with me and some others".

Where was that meeting held then?

16. Monty Fisto

Monty Fisto Well-Known Member

We were 10/1 for relegation just before Laudrup got the sack. Anything other than a win vs Palace and we'll be shorter odds than that.

17. The Lone Rangel

The Lone Rangel Active Member

We are playing football of a standard several magnitudes better than almost everything served up under Laudrup for the best part of a year. I'd have to question the sanity of anyone who seriously believes otherwise.

Sacking Laudrup was unquestionably the correct decision. Whether or not Monk is the ideal long term candidate at this stage to replace him is another matter.

18. swanselona

Results results results is what matters. So I question the sanity of those who think performances alone will save us.

19. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

Can people please enlighten me as to why HJ has been labeled the bad guy and why some talk of ML as if he has golden bollox. I'm at a loss.

Yes - Laudrup did good for us while here, up to the cup win but since? and also yes - it was a huge shock to me when he was sacked. I admit I was very upset by the news and wanted to know why. What's more surprising to though, is the amount of glib bullsh*t that is being posted here.

I keep reading
    "what a disgrace" that Laudrup was sacked,
    I keep reading
    "how ungrateful we are" as applied to any one who dares support HJ.

Yes Hugh Jenkins, the same guy who for 11 years has guided our team from oblivion to the premiership, the same man who appointed Martinez and 'The Swansea Way', Souza (he wasn't that bad was he?), Rodgers and golden bollox himself. HJ as chairman of our board is largely responsible for giving us the best times that Swansea City has ever had, the best football we've ever played, the best league we've ever been in. So shame on all of you bums who've turned on him in favor of an ex-footballer.

Laudrup's should be suitably embarrassed for calling a press conference so he could simply and childishly have a go at my club and try to put Swansea City FC, that's your club too, in a bad light. Simultaneously of course massaging his bruised ego and attempting to garner public sympathy and press support. He failed dismally.

What did he say in his press conference, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. He even failed to start a "quotes" war in the press which, lets be honest, was his true reason for calling the conference.

"They sacked me by email", grow up,
    "why did it take 9 days for the letter to arrive", probably because 'they' had a lot of your sh!t to sort out mate.

I loved ML while he was hear but what I've heard has turned my head and my stomach. If it is true then I doubt Laudrup will get any compensation at all, 'Breach of contract" doesn't cover it. I wont go into it again because I'll be accused of, dare I say it, hearsay, although nothing I've said has been challenged. Anyway, without evidence there are no facts just hearsay, but I trust its source.

Latest news:- Laudrups spiv agent has been seen sniffing around Tony Fernandes so its bye bye Harry hello Michael Laudrup at QPR and they can have him.

20. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Absolutely right and anyone who knows anything about football and the way we were heading should be able to see it...I saw the signs at the end of last season and said so....facts are facts you cant deny we were awful and going backwards all season....there was only one outcome if you work it out by our form where we were heading...<ok>