1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

If the season ends today, do Leeds deserve to get promoted?

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Apr 4, 2020.

1. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Why? This is the 2019/2020 season so as long as it concludes in 2020 there should not be a problem. It sounds crazy to say we can’t finish what we’ve started but hey let’s scrap it and start again. Air and travel restrictions will likely continue into the end of this year, there won’t be any European games so we’ll have plenty of time to finish the season. I think restrictions will be lifted enough by June to at least allow games behind closed doors with Sky and BT taking in some lost revenue with new subscribers and screening as many of the games as possible.

The key will be risk of injury and availability of an ambulance on call unless clubs can source a privately run alternative

Eric Le Merde likes this.
  2. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Yes but it won’t be the 2020 Open but the 2021 Open<doh>

3. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

Even if national leagues get going again in the near future, perhaps behind closed doors, I can't see games involving travel to other countries happening for quite some time. So how about calling a halt to the current season now having no relegations and allowing for one season only the PL to be larger in number, i.e., the current top three from each league are promoted. The extra games could be accommodated by not having the European cup, championship, etc. Each country will have the same problem and so it would provide a consistent method of addressing this common problem and provide a little extra income for the season that European competitions don't happen. For the PL 44 games instead of 38 and with six teams getting relegated from each league except the lowest, there could be a little more spice to the relegation places.

If we all get back to normal quicker than this then I would say finish the games, simple but I'm not too optimistic about this being resolved in weeks, more likely months and the sooner the decisions are made the better for all concerned.

Do Leeds deserve to be promoted? Well I would definitely say yes, I'm a Leeds Fan, justification? In the last 10 seasons the top team after 37 games has always secured automatic promotion. My preference would be to finish the seasons games but realistically I can't see that happening. I think the solution above is the least offensive but will not be without claims of foul play from some, those teams in or close to play off positions, perhaps they could be financially compensated by parachute payments that wont be needed as there would be no relegations. Not an ideal solution but perhaps acceptable based on "a bird in the hand being worth two in the bush"

Just canning the leagues and saying it is void will, in my opinion result in more law cases and disharmony but realistically it could happen. I would feel aggrieved as a Leeds fan as I don't think we could hold onto our coaching, playing staff as you can't tie them into no existent contracts or force them to stay somewhere against their will. For example why would Jack Harrison want to stay on loan with Leeds next year if Man City wanted him to play 1st team football, he may want to stay but you see my point. I don't think we would be the only ones to lose staff or players either.

I want to play the games and win the league as I don't want anybody to say we got promoted unfairly or cheated our way into the Premier League.

Will we get promoted? I have no idea.

Right off to the supermarket now

4. JonnyLosAngeles

JonnyLosAngeles Well-Known Member

"Right off to the supermarket now"

I hope he makes it back - some of those are REALLY dangerous right now!

Eric Le Merde and ellandback like this.
  5. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Wish I was allowed out to go to the supermarket.

Eric Le Merde and Whitejock like this.
  6. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

How are you coping, Ell? You stuck at home yourself, or have you isolated with your parents, for instance? My youngest is single & moved in with us for the isolation. Didn't fancy doing it on his own. Don't blame him! Think it would drive me nuts.

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  7. JonnyLosAngeles

JonnyLosAngeles Well-Known Member

Stay boy, stay now!! :emoticon-0105-wink:

8. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Hi ellandback,
    You can't possibly say that the top three in the champ should be promoted (and presumably the assumption
    would be the bottom three in the prem relegated) with so many games unplayed.
    Much can change in 9 or 10 games, for sure. I sincerely hope the season can be completed - closed doors or not,
    so there would at least be fair closure and no arguments from any clubs.
    Oh, and DO try not to implode when you can smell the finishing line this season, hey? ;)

9. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

Even with 9 games to play It is odds on that you will be relegated, so one up and one down, works for me <cheers>

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 5.51.20 pm.png

The only way you will be in the PL next season is if this season is cancelled

10. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

11. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

12. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Leeds and WBA must be promoted if the season ends now.
    No relegation from the Prem this time and 5 down next year.
    Others can work out the rest.
    Ffs, stop the prevarication, someone make a decision.

I can't believe football will start until a vaccine or treatment is found.
    You can't play, even behind closed doors. How are players supposed to self isolate from a set piece. And no player will ever stop spitting either.

Someone please make a decision and start a new season again when a vaccine is here.

Walsh.i.am and Eireleeds1 like this.
  13. TC (Lovely Geezer)

TC (Lovely Geezer) Well-Known Member

Premier clubs have already voted against increasing the size of the league, so no promotion without relegation.
    UEFA has set 25th May as the deadline for the governing bodies to decide if season's will be completed, cancelled or voided.
    I'm more than happy for them to delay making any decision until nearer that time, as so much could change by then!!