1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

If Watmore can remain fit?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by MrRAWhite, Oct 24, 2019.

1. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

This could prove to be akin to a fantastic top signing. He looked so much sharper on Tuesday night and adds the pace in attacking areas that we have been lacking for a very long time.

2. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Agreed, he's only been back five minutes and he's already scored a couple and got an assist. Nowhere near fit but he's producing the goods right off the bat. Very good player imo.

MrRAWhite likes this.
  3. BigPete

BigPete Well-Known Member

Just really hope the lad stays fit as he will be a brilliant addition especially in this league.

Only thing is if he hits form I can see other teams trying to hurt him and the refs will let them get away with it probably.

4. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

This. With bells on, there's no protection in this league as Duncan found out at Wycombe last season.
    Use him sparingly would be my advice to PP.

Gil T Azell, clockstander and BigPete like this.
  5. Hawyatt Earp

Hawyatt Earp Well-Known Member

I think I'm his biggest fan but it's been a lonely existence in the Duncan Watmore fan club over the last couple of years. I've always said he's a premier league player* but even I thought it was all over this season. Just keep him fit, leave him out of all the cup games and he'll get us up

*And been laughed at a lot

6. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

It didn't cover a long period but we all saw him doing the business in the premier league so I don't see how it can be denied. Admittedly a lower end premier league player because he is a bit limited but it's hardly a wacky opinion when he's already been there and done that.

clockstander likes this.
  7. FulwellBri

FulwellBri Well-Known Member

Hopefully PP takes a leaf out of the great BSA book and uses him etc the same way we used kirchoff.
    I remain unconvinced by watmore. Injury wise especially.
    But every little bit counts.

8. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

I would protect the lad from himself if I were Parky, if Ross had done this (among other things ) he might still be in a job and we might be in the Championship, thats how highly I rate Watmore and his value to us. For a start I would play McNulty out wide on Saturday, with Watmore on the bench and only use him late in the game if necessary on 60 mins, keeping the 4/4/2 formation, it worked to a tee on Tuesday night. and should be the standard formation for the rest of the season. we cant afford to burn him out, as we will need his class, if we are to move up the league tables.

9. Thefoox

Thefoox Active Member

I'd rather play him for an hour the lad needs to get match fit

Gil T Azell likes this.
  10. Hawyatt Earp

Yeah me too. But have him nowhere near the squad for the Oxford match.

11. Hefty fullback

Hefty fullback Well-Known Member

I'll be watching Watmore and Hume in the Championship next season.

12. Jerry lee

Jerry lee Well-Known Member

Impact sub

Bit like with mcgeady when he's fit

Watmore never beeen a starter

clockstander likes this.
  13. clockstander

He will get fit just by training and playing as a sub.now and again, and not starting him two games a week as soon as he gets back, al la Ross, he has been out for so long he needs to be phased in, not rushed, its not like we don't have alternatives, we have, so why not use them, and keep everybody involved.

14. Hawyatt Earp

In fairness he was a starter in the premier league for us. Personally hope he starts every league game for the rest of the season.

BigPete likes this.
  15. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what we should do about starting him or not, any other player who was starting, scoring and playing well generally you'd be mad to drop. I think the best thing to do is to treat him like any other player, keep a close eye on him and trust that the fates have dumped enough on him already and it's brighter days ahead.

I certainly wouldn't run him into the ground but the more minutes he gets the faster he'll be up to speed.

Ginnanson and Porterfield73 like this.
  16. clockstander

I think he is up to speed, he has not lost any of his sharpness imo, his goal off the rebound in the cup game showed he still had the burst of pace which makes him the player he is, I would still ease him in gently though, but its just my opinion, but if we have that option it's the one I would take. The last thing I want is to be thinking is we cant win a game unless he plays, thats not a good place to be. Thinking ahead, I would also like to see the front two picked again, with McGeady on the bench to replace Maguire in the hole, or if needs to be Grigg going off, moving McNulty into the striker role and bringing Watmore on out wide, either way we don't lose our shape, or effectiveness, we have seen only too often what happens when subs appear too late or look like afterthoughts.

17. beam1234

beam1234 New Member

Not a bad shout CS. It looks like (if Tuesday night is anything to go by) getting up the pitch fast under Pep Parkinson is achieved by;
    1. Burge accurate kicking.
    2. Leaving distribution to the CHs rather than the DMF dropping back and collecting it.
    3. A pass and move mentality.
    4.. A very definite role for the wingers that Watmore fits to a tee.
    The trick is to keep him fit and over use or over reliance as you say will not achieve that. It is vital though that we win our next 2 games and we'll probably have to risk keeping him in for these. After that lets manage him with kid gloves.

Ginnanson and clockstander like this.
  18. clockstander

I know mate, and I would love to see him play every game for us next season in the Championship, if he can do both great.

19. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Fair enough yeah I can see your point of view. When I say up to speed I meant fitness wise as he's clearly not there now but it's remarkable how sharp he's already looking considering what's happened to him.

clockstander likes this.
  20. beam1234

beam1234 New Member

He was, you are right. But, his most impressive contribution was how FSA used him as sub to defend the clean sheet by getting us up the pitch in posession in the last 15 minutes of games.

clockstander likes this.