1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

I'm not saying I "want to wrap myself around you", but...

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Sir_Luther_Blissett, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Sir_Luther_Blissett

[video=youtube;rQqwG_rQx7A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQqwG_rQx7A[/video]

Why do I still feel like this? I'm 42. But I can't wait for the season to start. How much of a saddo am I (rhetorical :wink:)?

2. Spurs61

Spurs61 Well-Known Member

I know what you mean - I was just thinking - it's only one day to go - how exciting - like birthdays or Christmas when you were a kid

3. babyhornetdan

babyhornetdan Well-Known Member

I know where you are coming from there. I have only been going for 5 seasons full time and half the season before. My first full season was our premiership season which was an amazing high after watching us win promotion despite being the underdogs, even in the final itself, and to do it so emphatically as well was the cherry on the cake. Yet, i have approached every season with the same sense of anticipation in the pit of my stomach, the same knots in my stomach and when i walk out on to the stand in the baking sun and see our boys warming up and hearing the chatter and the singing, it is a feeling that you dont get anywhere else. There is pride in our club and our team, there is excitement and anticipation. Whether we win loose or draw it is always a great day out!!

4. Sir_Luther_Blissett

Wonderfully put, bhd <ok>.

That's the point isn't it, Art? "Like... when you were a kid"
    Birthdays and Christmas these days? Well, last birthday I woke up and spent at least an hour not realising it was my birthday until someone wished me a happy birthday. Christmas is a bit better, but so much of it is an administrative affair, with kids' presents, food etc etc.

But the football season..? For some reason it's different.

5. Golden Gordon

Golden Gordon Well-Known Member

It never changes either, BHD, after decades. That feeling walking along Vic Road or up past the allotments and going through the turnstiles. God I miss it!

6. babyhornetdan

I really hope you are well enough to get to a match soon GG. Best wishes to you.

7. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It is strange how that walk into the ground can be so exciting. It is anticipation of Your team showing the rest of the country that they know how to play football and win at the same time. Every year you wonder if the acquisitions will gel into a good side, but then there are 23 other sets of fans hoping that they have bought wisely.

8. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

The nerve ends jingling , hairs on the back of the neck standing up, anticipation of whats to come! Yep I've missed it all too!
    Even watching sky or following the MT's its still chewing fingernail time! Because to us footy fans ,this matters!! Your team wins on saturday , you have a happy week ,problems at home or work diminish ,lose and everything is that little bit tougher.

9. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

And me. The ritual of pre-match drinks at the local, the walk to the ground being swept along by the crowd with the excitement growing then finally hearing the Z Cars theme............ - then back to the local to disect the days events.

Away games were equally exhilerating - watching out for black and yellow scarves hanging out of car windows, finding the pre-planned pub meeting place, getting into the ground and seeing faces you could name, faces you knew but couldn't name - all there with a common purpose.

Gawd I miss it.:(

10. Golden Gordon

Z Cars - oh no,it's getting worse! I think i'll have to see if I can download it.

Travelling home- the time I still remember most was Villa Park '84, driving back down the M1 on that sunlit evening. It was other-worldly. Seemed like every car was flying yellow and black.

11. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

i bloody love it all! I can't wait for the season to get going..i shall be screaming at my laptop on saturday, listening to the game in the USA! And next week...oooh boy, i can't wait to get to Vicarage Road! Definitely worth coming home from holiday for! :)

12. Golden Gordon

Many thanks, BHD. I'm seeing a neurologist next week, hoping he can explain why my legs are so feeble. Just hope he can give me some idea when I might expect to get back to live footy. At least the haematologists are happy with me.

13. babyhornetdan

Well at least its not all bad news. I hope the Neurologist goes well for you. Its never nice hearing a fellow hornet is ill.

14. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

Well at least theres good news there GG :)

15. SuffolkHorn

SuffolkHorn Member

It was the same driving back from Cardiff, it was so worth getting gobbed on by those Leeds fans after the game!

16. LuxWFC

LuxWFC Member

Oh my God........some guy posted this on another forum and it was stuck in my head for a week.

Just get over it and here it is again :(!

17. Sir_Luther_Blissett

All the best with that, GG <ok>.

(keep wearing the shorts :wink:)

18. Al the Hornet

Al the Hornet Well-Known Member

Is it really time for the games to commence?

[video=youtube;HyLfb5GEyg0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyLfb5GEyg0[/video]