1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ingerlund ..

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Red Alert, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

Sterling might have been on one but if you have been a bit of a twat would you want your boss making it public?

big no from me. say I have a knock bollock me off but go public you have lost my respect for ever.

2. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

I'm assuming it was already leaked, or they knew it was about to be leaked. If they could've kept it private I'm sure they would've.

3. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

No. Deal with things in confidence. And if it is leaked deal with the leak. It is a injury/sickness excuse by the Manager and decent pr team.

It should have been foreseen that the players coming back to training might be problematic after a game as important as they had played hours before.

4. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

It was always going to get leaked and if they had tried to hide it they would have looked bloody stupid once it did come out

BCFCRob likes this.
  5. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

Scenes from England's first international, against Scotland in 1872, which were published in The Graphic on 14 December 1872. The original artist was a W. Ralston
    For all the tears, turmoil and triumphs in England's first 999 games, it is trophies - or a lack of them - that have shaped the Three Lions' story so far.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50340459

6. Cliftonville

Think of the very best Managers in the World. They deflect blame from their players. They fight for them. A strong leader would front it out for his team. And behind closed doors act as they see fit.

7. BCFCRob

There are also examples of those very same best managers in the world, shifting blame to their players. And then if it gets leaked, and it looks like Sterling has got away with it, the manager looks weak.

8. Cliftonville

Like?

Managers at the top level use reverse psychology. A Ferguson or Mourinho would have turned this around and adopted a siege mentality, "they (the media) are out to get you, this was a nothing incident but I will deal with this".

That is the norm. That is a Manager protecting his team, people have to know you are prepared to fight for them, and if you do that they will trust you and be ready to fight for you. When that standard is broken its a normally a means of getting a player out.

Sterling appears to have done virtually nothing, been dropped and its in the press. That is feeble man management to what happens across teams every week in football.

9. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

Title "Ingerlund .."

Thought we had signed another out of contract player ...

10. BCFCRob

Didn't work for Staam or Beckham for Ferguson. Nor Ibrahimovic for Guardiola.

The manager does have to protect his team of course - but suppose the incident has happened and they are aware that journalists know, or are on the brink of knowing, which is pretty plausible (if not probable). If that occurs, I don't think Southgate's actions are that inappropriate.

Who knows, from a man management perspective, forcing him to stay and keeping Sterling in a situation where he felt uncomfortable or didn't want to be could have been more damaging. It might have been partly the player's own decision. I don't think it's that black and white that it's definitely bad management, from a manager who for the most part seems to have that side of the job quite well nailed down.

11. Cliftonville

Yesit did because the Manager wanted the players out. Its often the process. Marginalise an individual. Guardiola planned these actions, it is part of storming to norming to performing (look it up if unfamiliar).

Yes it is black and white. There are standard norms. Spats in training, in the club are normal and its stays internal.

Unfortunately a secondary action was Gomez was received negatively by the Wembley crowd. Again that could have been Managed better - Keep matters internal. Gomez evidently was affected. That impact should also have been Managed.

12. BCFCRob

Have you ever in your life been wrong Cliftonville? You write so matter of factly as if you're right and everyone else is wrong. Why aren't you England manager right now?

13. Cliftonville

First question. Yes. Frequently. I am factual because I have been educated and mentored to be so.

It was black and white. Bill Beswick who interestingly once was England's psychologist and has also worked at Bristol City places enormous importance on internal confidential man management. It should never be public. This is standard psychology.

Second question. Why aren't you Prime Minister right now?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Red Alert likes this.
  14. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

Lawrenson on football focus said there was a punch up a week at Liverpool bit of an exaggeration im sure but he said they just got on with it. Southgate must have seen a few. wonder if its a generation thing the way some people have reacted.

Worked on the building and saw one mad bastard go on one with a digger smashing up the site. next day we carried on like nothing had happened. fights were not unusual and that was it, sorted and forgotten.

15. johngalleyfan2

same answer covers both of you!

16. Cliftonville

Where's the holy CAPS lock?

17. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

It had already been leaked before Southgate spoke to the press

18. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Apparently there were at least 20 people around during the incident so it was inevitable that it would have leaked,,,so in that case, dealt with correctly IMO..Had it not been seen by others then the incident should have been dealt internally....As for Gomez, fans will always find an excuse to boo a player that doesn't belong to their club!!!

19. johngalleyfan2

Such a retort confirms the arrow made its mark …. :emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl:

20. Cliftonville

You've held back again … Its WRONG!!