1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ins/Out - Summer 2022

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGunner, May 19, 2022.

1. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Genuine question.
    How much money do Arsenal have to spend.

Last summer Arsenal spent £154m and (including January window) brought in £28m.

Can you sell to raise money?

I've read about selling Pepe for £30-40m but recall that when you bought him for £72 in 2019 it was on a deal where you pay £6m for 12 windows. So (if this is correct) you've only paid half his transfer fee so if you sell him you wouldn't actually raise sny transfer money as you'll have to pay it to Lille.
    Not sure who else you have to sell.

Like I said, genuine question.

Like us, you raise money through sales, gate money and prize money (league placings and European money) so wondered if you have enough money to fully strengthen your squad in all the positions.

2. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Real Betis have already confirmed that Bellerin will be returning to Arsenal. He's on £100k a week, so the wages are far too high for them to afford. But yeah, I'm not 100% convinced we'll be able to sell for a good fee, especially as his contract runs out next year.

As for Torreira, Fiorentina's president has said that they're not going to trigger the option to buy for £15m. Either they think it's too much or his wages are too high. It's likely the latter. I don't think he'd be open to staying, though. He doesn't really pay attention to what's happening at Arsenal, as evidenced by his past social media posts.

3. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Yep, I think both will be sold if their loan clubs can't stump up the cash

4. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

The honest answer is who the **** knows <laugh>

We spent more than I expected to spend last Summer (albeit on 6 players), but if reports are to be believed, we are going to spend between £150m - £200m again this Summer (including player sales).

The main issue we've had, as you can probably see from the OP, are the excessive wages some players are earning. It makes them extremely difficult to shift, especially when we look at the calibre of clubs interested in them. So this hinders our activity. Baring in mind we've already trimmed the wage bill down a lot in the last year, yet there's still more to go. Shows you just how badly we've messed up with player contracts for several years now.

Anyway, now that we're going to be freeing up a lot of wages, it gives us more wiggle room to try and get the targets we want. We need to make sure that the background checks we run on these players are more rigid than what we've done in the past, though.

Torreira couldn't hack it in England, Guendouzi had well documented attitude problems, Runarrsson was a bizarre move from the beginning (a second choice goalkeeper for a bottom half French side), Pepe was never, ever worth the £72m we paid for him, signing 30-year old Cedric on a 4 year deal didn't make sense....so we have to approach this upcoming window a lot smarter than past windows gone by.

A lot of us agree that we need around 5-6 players to reinforce our squad and we showed last Summer we have the capability to get several players in. The key is making sure they're the right fit and have the right mentality for what Arteta wants, as opposed to signing a mish-mash of players who are suited to differing styles and lack the discipline required.

Diego, remembercolinlee and PINKIE like this.
  5. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

Torreira I'm convinced will be gone one way or another, but Bellerin I'm less sure about. It depends on the level of interest in him and whether he'd be keen on a move to those prospective clubs. We may even have to subsidise some of his wages for a year if we're that desperate to get rid.

On the surface of it, it seems like his heart belongs elsewhere. But if we choose to flog Cedric, and can't find a replacement, then we may have to keep Bellerin for cover and let him leave on a free in 2023.

6. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Bellerin is still a decent player and a much better option at RB that Cedric. I wonder if there's a way back for him at Arsenal ?

TheBear likes this.
  7. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

please log in to view this image

PINKIE likes this.
  8. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

Apparently, he had a very good season with Betis, was a fan favourite and played a big role in them winning the Copa del Rey (got an assist in the final). Betis is probably the right level for him if we're being honest. If he was on £50k a week, rather than the £100k he's on at the moment, I'm 110% sure they'd have pulled out the stops to sign him.

This is the struggle you face when you give players insane money like that and want to move them on.

9. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

All clubs have them to be honest, we’ve got that fat **** Ndombele who’ll be a nightmare to shift - both because of his weight and the fact no one will likely pay up. Lo Celso would’ve been in a similar boat but his performances for Villarreal mean they want him permanently and there’s others also interested if they don’t strike a deal.

In terms of Bellerin though I’ve just never rated him full stop and I’ve said that to Pinks for years. Bloke just always looked brain dead to me, fast as lightning but nothing else about him. Tomiyasu is light years ahead of him, really good defender that guy, just seemingly quite prone to injury at the moment.

TheBear and BrunelGunner like this.
  10. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

Maybe a move to Betis permanently could be on the cards…

But I just don’t see how Betis can afford him unless he takes a massive wage cut or we pay a percentage of his wages like we regrettably did with Ozil etc.

This wouldn’t be an ideal situation, but if he’s that desperate to go, I do wonder what we would accept to get him off the books.

11. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

Not Eddie's biggest fan, but he's staying now it seems. Let's hope he can really kick on now.

PINKIE likes this.
  12. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

What happened to Ndombele? Was massively rated when he joined a few seasons back.

13. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Ate too much food and didn’t wanna burn it off.

In all seriousness though? Just seemingly a very poor professional, barely able to last 90 minutes and cries when the going gets tough. Ability-wise one of the most naturally talented players I’ve seen but he won’t go far with the mentality and attitude he has. Premier League separates the men from boys and he’s a very little boy.

PINKIE likes this.
  14. ArtisanWenger

ArtisanWenger Active Member

Lets see:

We will let laca leave
    Sell pepe for 25-30m
    Sell torreira for 16m
    Renew Elneny
    Sell Maitland Niles for 6-7m
    Sell Chambers for 6-7m
    Sell Bellerin for 12m
    Sell Maari for 4m
    Sell Leno for 20m

That would give us lets say on average 93m,if arteta isnt uncertain as usual and passes up deals.We have also reduced the wage bucket immensely so that should help and europa league will bring in some money which is better than being out of europe,lets assume that gives us some 27m so that should be 120m and with the owners putting in 60m will let us play around with 180m

So we will have to buy a first choice striker and his back up,Jesus looks like city will milk us for him..so 45m,We are buying a winger from brazil called marquinos for 4.5m and we will additionally reintegrate saliba,we have alreqady signed matt turner for back up goalie and Youri tielmens will cost 30m apparently.And a guy called aaron hickey will be 25m who can cover both sides so that will total to 100m.

So with the remaining 80m we should look for a back up dmf and a back up striker and maybe an experienced winger who can play amf and on the wing.Ziyech maybe for 25m?That would leave us with 55m..i wouldnt be unhappy with werner so if we can get him for 30m that would leave us with 25m for a back up dmf.

Emile Smith Rowe Jesus Saka
    Martinelli Werner Marquinos

Odegaard
    Ziyech

Tielmens Partey
    Xhaka Elneny Lokonga

Tierney Gabriel White Tomiyasu
    Tavares Saliba Holding Hickey

Ramsdale
    Matt Turner
    Youth back up GK

remembercolinlee likes this.
  15. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Cheers.
    Tielemans is interesting. Very good player but press has made him out as wanting CL football and Leicester fans seem pretty unimpressed with him this season.

I think that Pepe being sold won't add to your transfer pot as you still owe £36m on him so anything you get for him will go to pay that off.

I also think that Nketiah could well end up staying but either for a big signing on fee or a massive wage.

Part of me wonders if Arsenal's and Tottenham's window will depend on how much Chelsea, United and Newcastle throw around...could lead to fees being artificially high which will limit what rather of us can do.

16. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I worry about the Chavs and their new owner hoovering up all of the talent and / or jacking up the prices (again !). He will want to make an impact and I can see them lobbing a ton of cash at it. Utd and Newcastle will try to do likewise, but both team (Utd less so) have less appeal with no European football.

As for us, it looks as though Nketiah might be staying now, which would probably mean we'll only go in for one forward, which looks like it will be Jesus, who I rate massively. He's also a serial winner with City, he's still only 25 and will bring that mentality to our young team.

Tielemans would be a brilliant signing too if we can get him. He's a proper artist in midfield and whilst he's said he wants CL football, Ornstein has said 'he's keen' to come to Arsenal. Anyway, I just like winding Fosse up about it. He's absolutely adamant that he won't go to Arsenal and I've got a ****in ton of quotes of his to rinse if he does <laugh>

remembercolinlee and Mantis like this.
  17. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

I hope we don't go after Osimhen.

That would be a £70-80m player that just wouldn't suite our style. I think he would have exactly the same issues Aubameyang had at Arsenal.

He works in a counter attacking or deep sitting side that can play him into space, at Arsenal with the high pressing I can't him him fitting it at all.

Jesus, Nunes even Abraham would be better of us.

Last edited: May 26, 2022
  18. ArtisanWenger

To be very honest i feel if you back Conte as rumoured with 120m or more outside of the signings of romero and kuleseviski then sure shot he is finishing in the top 3,our only chance of top 4 will be either via the europa league or tuchel keeps stumbling and underperforming in the second half of the league or the last third as he has been for two seasons running and we leapfrog them.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  19. ArtisanWenger

I want to ask something so Roman had given a soft loan of around 1.5b pounds...that loan is being written off by the new owners?Either way if it is being written off or not how does this comply with ffp when they have had an advantage of of 1.5b pounds over the rest of us for 20 years aka meaning 75m a season,owner investment max to a three year period is that much i heard if we exhaust every legal posibility..so it wont comply with neither premierleague ffp or champions league one,how can this **** be allowed to go?

PINKIE and remembercolinlee like this.
  20. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

It's bullshit all round. Roman has said he doesn't want his investment back, but surely that just means that Chelsea have been artificially pumped with £1.5bn (Which we all knew anyway) If Abramovich doesn't want it or can't get it due to sanctions, then that money should be paid by the new owners, taken out of the club and given to charity. It's an absolute ****ing farce that a sanctioned dodgy Russian crook can pump his money into a UK company and it all gets swept under the carpet.

Chelsea do not meet either fit and proper ownership standards, nor do they comply with financial fair play. The FA and UEFA should throw the ****ing book at them. 20 point deduction and boot them out of the CL for three seasons.