1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ins/Out - Summer 2022

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGunner, May 19, 2022.

1. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I didn't want to post about this because, usually, I don't like speculating. But the evidence seems to be piling up, so I have to mention it. It does appear as if Thomas Partey could potentially be the player in question at the centre of these rape investigations currently.

You may be wondering what makes me think it's him.

Firstly, he fits the criteria of the footballer that was arrested - 29 years old, lives in North London, world renowned player, Premier League star and was on course to start for his national team in the World Cup. The player also missed training the previous two days. All the other 29 year olds at both clubs have alibis when this news broke. Partey does not.

Secondly, one of the alleged rapes occurred in Marbella last month. This is also where Partey was on holiday last month.

Thirdly, he's not been pictured in Germany with the other players. The club aren't oblivious to what gets said on social media. The seriousness of these allegations mean they would want to clear Partey's name ASAP if he was innocent. So they would post pictures of him in Germany's training camp. Yet they haven't done so.

Fourthly, several Arsenal players and sponsors have unfollowed him on social media.

Look - if Partey isn't the player in question, he is owed one almighty apology from those who have accused him, and those who suspect it's him (myself included).

But right now, all the information available to us points to Partey.

2. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

I was watching highlights of Fabio Vieras recent game for Portugal against Spain. The guy has an unreal touch, if he can handle the physicality of the EPL this guy may already challenge Odegaard for the starting AMF spot.

gooner4ever likes this.
  3. Solid Alboland

Solid Alboland Well-Known Member

but this was my point earlier in this thread in that you have now bought a 3rd player whose best position is AMF and wouldn't that money be better spent elsewhere .

4. TheBear

Yeah perhaps - It looks like he's going after players that can do 2-3 roles though..

Gabriel - ST/RW/LW
    Viera - AMF/LW

then bids for ..
    Martinez - CB/RB/DMF
    Tielemans - CM/DMF
    Raphinha - LW/RW

If you think about it though the addition of 5 subs has changed things for next Season and I think that's why he's after these players.
    If you can bring on 5 subs every game, you have a far greater chance of changing the outcomes of games that are not going your way.

City already have a huge squad but I think some sides are underestimating how important a strong versatile bench will be this term.

gooner4ever and Solid Alboland like this.
  5. Solid Alboland

Just think you are overloaded with similar players and yet you still haven't addressed to clear problem areas in LB and CM / DM which imo should have been the priority .

6. TheBear

Well CF was the biggest problem area for us. Jesus is a big addition in that respect.

We're only half way though the window. But for sure we need to bring in an CM and probably a LB.

7. Solid Alboland

considering the horrendous fixture list due that abomination of a WC you definitely need cover for Tierney ,

8. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

After missing out on Lisandro Martinez to Utd, it appears Oleksandr Zinchenko is now our priority focus:

I think he’s a decent player but I really want to hope our strategy isn’t just signing the unwanted City players (that would come to us).

9. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Decent player who would add versatility to our squad. Proven premier league experience and has done it at the highest level. Knows Arteta and would fit our system.

No downside to this signing imo

TheBear likes this.
  10. TheBear

I posted this in the other thread but I'll copy it here..

Being linked to Zinchenko and Paqueta at the moment.

I think Zinchenko would be excellent, he would provide quality cover for Tierney whilst also being able to slot in as a DM.

Lucas Paquetá is obviously very talented. He's Brazils main man in midfield and was been one of the best players in France last Season.
    My only issue with this is he is going to costs what 50-60m and is not a direct replacement for Xhaka in the same way Tielemans would be. He's a bit more attacking minded (although he is good tackler) which makes me think if we do sign him Arteta is intending on moving to a 4-3-3 with Partey at the base.

gooner4ever likes this.

11. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

Zinchenko is the type of signing Everton would have made like 10 years ago when they were consistently finishing 6th.

Paul Merson’s prediction from 2017 that we are the “new Everton” continues to make more and more sense.

I don’t think zinchenko is a bad player, but he wouldn’t necessarily be a starter for us, and he strikes me as the type of player that plays decent in a team of good players, and gets found out in a team of lesser quality.

12. TheBear

Bullshit. Zinchenko is just too good to only be starting 50% of City's games. He wants more game time and with a squad the size of City's that's hard to come by. He's a classy player and still good age.
    I think he may start ahead of Tierney - he's as good at fullback and is quality in midfield as well.
    (far better than Elneny or Lokonga)

Also nothing Paul Person says makes sense, The guy is an absolute moron.

gooner4ever and straycat_67 like this.
  13. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

Although I agree generally that Merson speaks nonsense, comparing us to the late 2000s/early 2010s version of Everton isn't entirely wrong.

Our finishing positions since 2016: 5th, 6th, 5th, 8th, 8th, 5th
    Everton's finishing positions 2006 - 2013: 6th, 5th, 5th, 8th, 7th, 7th

Those finishing positions are hardly miles away from each other.

white_gunner likes this.
  14. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

It does look like it's him. Your club aren't handling it well. A member of staff being done for rape and they haven't suspended him? It's a disgrace.

My club allowed Adam Johnson to carry on playing and that was equally shameful.

gooner4ever likes this.
  15. TheBear

Looks like it was just an allegation that's been retracted. By his ex fiancé.

What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty? The disgrace is people want to hanging without a trial these days.

gooner4ever likes this.
  16. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Nobody is saying he's guilty?

With an allegation like that it's best for the club to err on the side of caution.

BrunelGunner likes this.
  17. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

Well, that's not entirely true. Firstly, we don't know where the allegations came from. Secondly, even if this most recent allegation from June 2022 was from his fiancé, that doesn't explain the case he was being investigated from last year in September 2021.

The whole thing doesn't sit right with me.

If Partey was the player being investigated, we shouldn't have been playing him until it was over and he was totally in the clear.

Footballers probably get accused of stuff all the time. Much of it probably goes nowhere. So the fact that 6 police cars turned up at his house at 3am means there must have been some substance or some form of evidence that led to him being in custody for so long.

18. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Whilst it's hard to deny that a lot of things point towards Partey, the suspect hasn't even been officially confirmed yet so any stories floating about that Partey's wife/ fiance made one of these allegations is absolute nonsense and likely made up by some mong on Twitter, because if it turns out Partey isn't even the suspect, there's gonna be a lot of accounts deleting Tweets from their so called sources.

gooner4ever likes this.
  19. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

The amount of twitter spastics is quite astounding. What surprises me is the amount of people who swallow the BS that is touted on there. As for Partey, if he is the footballer in question, then if and until he charged with anything he's free to go about his business and the club are free to get him prepared for the coming season.

If that situation changes, then 100% Arsenal will suspend him.

TheBear likes this.
  20. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Whilst I like Twitter, especially for news and banter purposes it’s also a dangerous place at times. Many fake rumours spread like wildfire.

In terms of what the club should do, I do think whoever it is should’ve suspended their player whilst the investigation is ongoing. It’s obviously a tough situation to be in because we should have innocent until proven guilty at the forefront of decisions but equally having an accused rapist walking around the workplace can be uncomfortable for many people, especially women but anyone in general. Whichever club it is won’t be coming out of this situation looking too good in my opinion, more so if the player is eventually proven guilty.

BrunelGunner likes this.