1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Is This Mad Citeh Squad The World's Strongest?

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by David Schofield, Aug 24, 2011.

1. David Schofield

After the acquisitions of Aguero and Nasri, Citeh's Squad looks immense.

No saying how they will do with it, although I expect rather well, but on paper at least they appear to have by far the strongest Squad in England.

Have they now actually got the strongest Squad in the World?

If Not, who

2. Constcrepe

Constcrepe Active Member

A big squad like the one at City is also a weakness. To many big players, too many egos to keep happy. Also when its time to move them on, who is willing to carry on paying their huge wages? City are and will continue to find it hard to shift the dead wood.

3. suarezlfc

suarezlfc Active Member

Perhaps. It's between them and Real Madrid. On paper of course. People will point to Barcelona, but beyond their first XI they're not that strong, hence they have to stick Mascherano at CB when Puyol is out, and Adriano (used mostly as a winger in his time at Sevilla) at LB.

4. Whiteside of Red

Agreed, the strength of the squad is also its weakness. Big-time players not getting game time isn't going to create the team spirit required to win the big prizes.

5. David Schofield

Chelsea under Mourinho managed it, perhaps as much to do with The Special One's ability as that of his Squad at the time.

6. Psycho2k

Psycho2k Active Member

On paper they do have the strongest squad of players, but they are far from having the best team. They have too many big ego's that are not getting in the first team and that will cause problems, and then you have Tevez who has openly said he does not want to be there but still makes it onto the bench/pitch, thats got to be a kick in the teeth for the players that really do want to prove themselves.

7. Robby202

Robby202 Well-Known Member

City have quality and depth in their squad, United and Chelsea have every right to be concerned. Tbh if they had a centre-back pairing like the old Vidic/Rio or Terry/Carvalho and a decent manager they would conquer the world.

8. suarezlfc

suarezlfc Active Member

Agree too. That's what I mean when I say 'on paper'. All those players individually are arguably better than the individuals in any other squad, but chemistry and morale play a massive part. I'd rather have a Kuyt than a Tevez, even if the latter is a better player individually.

9. HRH Custard VC

HRH Custard VC National Car Park Attendant

Because ManMecca Citeh have 1000 MF players, it does not mean they will win anything

10. Constcrepe

Constcrepe Active Member

Maybe not the world.

11. Robby202

Robby202 Well-Known Member

O.K. The universe then<laugh>
    please log in to view this image

12. Constcrepe

Constcrepe Active Member

<laugh>

13. thefanwithnoname

thefanwithnoname Well-Known Member

i think city will get some form of success, ala chelsea, whether it is sustained success i am not sure

one thing that will happen is that city will become a 'graveyard' for talent, as chelsea did

the worst mistakes the likes of SWP made was taking the money a chelsea, i see similar for milner, barry and the likes of johnson etc

14. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I don't think they do.

Their central midfield squad is top class, but still weaker than those at Barca and Real. Silva, Toure and De Jong are almost comparable to Barca and Real's starting CMs, but Barry and Milner are pretty poor backups when compared to Fabregas, Mascherano, Gago and Kaka.

Their wide players are also good, but no better than Real's or Utd's imo - Nasri and Johnson are good, but again it's Milner and SWP as backup which leaves the squad short. I'd take Di Maria and Granero with the potential to have Ronaldo and Benzema cutting inside as backup, and also Nani, Young, Valencia and Park over City's current wingers. They can shift Silva out wide which gives them a quality wide set up, but costs them any sort of real cutting edge in the centre.

Their defence is way behind Utd's and not that hot when compared to Barca, Real, Chelsea or Liverpool's. Kompany is one of the PL's top defenders, but beyond that they don't have the quality or experience compared to any of the other top teams. And that has showed twice already this season, in the CS and against Bolton.

Up front, whilst Aguero and Tevez (if he stays) are quality players their remaining attacking depth is weaker than Utd, Barca, Real and Chelsea. Dzeko and Balotelli leave a lot to be desired compared to other top clubs. And if Tevez goes they are going to be very reliant on Aguero, in which case, their attack would be no better than Liverpool's, with Suarez and Aguero being of similar importance to both clubs.

Overall, City have a squad that can compete for the title and look at the CL QF or even SF as a realistic achievement this season. I would put them in the top four in Europe, behind Barca, on a par with Real and Utd, and maybe just ahead of Chelsea. But given their weaknesses in defence, and the fact that they may be very reliant on a single striker for goals again this season, I can't say they are the best in the world.

15. Areba Hernandez

16. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

17. ArabianExpat

ArabianExpat New Member

definately rthe best in england by a long way, can they win the league as a team though? united will run them to the wire, barca have the bes team and squad city not far off though with 4 comps to play this season so their will be plenty of opportunity for players to stake a claim for a regualr starting spot, can see them winning the lot this season even the champions league.

18. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

Seriously, the media ridiculed Liverpool's 'over cramped' midfield after this summers transfer business but half of it is deadwood that we are trying to get rid of anyway. When Man City overload their team with strikers and midfielders the media cream their pants.

19. Neither here or there

Neither here or there Active Member

Real Madrid have set the example of buying star players to have sitting on their bench but we have seen that isnt necessarily a recipe for success.Albeit the recent Barca team have shown your squad doesnt have to be top notch in order to compete.

I have my doubts whether Mancini will be there in a season or two, if there is no short term success they will be in trouble financially(if FFPR actually are adhered to) and on the pitch(when the star players are not getting game time, egos, etc).

20. chelsea - over 100 years of history

Surely the best squad is one with balance not 5-6 25 million plus strikers when you can only play 1 or 2.

United seem to have a very balanced squad of youth and experience and players who are happy to play less because they are up and coming or nearing the end of their careers (giggs / owen for example).

Sir Alex has his flaws but in terms of building very good teams and squads he is a master. Anyone can do what Mancini is doing at the moment and like with Adebayor, Bellamy, SWP etc you can't just pack you're squad with expensive talent and expect these players to be happy to sit on the bench. City will lose a fortune in the next few years by doing this and I'm not sure it'll bring the success they crave. I don't think they have half the togetherness or team spirit that United have to be honest.