1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Is This Mad Citeh Squad The World's Strongest?

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by David Schofield, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Elpistoleros magic feet

Jerome Boateng is a centre back, but typical Mancini who has a habit of playing players out of position, ie Adam Johnson a left footer on the right, and James Milner a right footed central midfielder on the left against Liverpool last season at Anfield had Boateng playing left back.

2. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

Adam Johnson is a winger though, and it's common place to swap the positions of wingers these days.

3. Elpistoleros magic feet

Ze Liverbird.
    I know that, but Mancini had a tendency to be static, in other words his players had to stay where he started them. Less static managers ie Kenny will tell his forward 5 to move about, and confuse the opposition as much as possible, I don't expect you to end up where you started.

4. tevezrightboot

It is far easier for a right winger to get a shot at goal coming in from the left as as heruns in the goal opens up for him so enabling him to have more of the goal to aim at. As for J. Boateng he will soon find out if he has made the biggest mistake of his life by not staying at the Etihad Stadium, when City play bayern in Sept.

5. Eddie B

Eddie B Member

Those are some odd examples.
    Adam Johnson has been playing on the right since Middlesborough and James Milner is famously flexible and has played on both wings and even at fullback under a variety of managers. In that game Meireles was also a CM playing left wing and he was fine.

6. David Schofield

After today, I think the debate as to whether City have the strongest squad domestically is put to bed.

Anyone starting to change their view on the assertion that they have the strongest squad in world football?

7. Constcrepe

Constcrepe Active Member

Real Madrid???

8. Father_Jack_Hackett

Father_Jack_Hackett New Member

All it means is we were stronger on the day against 10 men it doesn't mean we have the strongest squad domestically, you obviously didn't see the first half.

9. Lucaaas

Lucaaas Well-Known Member

<laugh> How unfortunate...

10. superal

superal Active Member

Bayern Munich showed they are still ordinary compared to the best teams in the world. City have a long way to go to prove anything! Fantastic start to the season and scoring tons of goals so hats off in that respect! Utd will come back from this as they always do

11. superal

superal Active Member

The only mugs in the transfer market recently are your sorry bunch! All that money spent and our 'poor' squad made you look like a championship team lol

12. SKY+

SKY+ Guest

City in my opinion have plenty of cover in the positions you mention. Nasri can step into Silva's role easily and if Aguero get's injured they still have 2 class acts in Dzecko and Balotelli. Or they can can play one up front and have Nasri in the hole. From a defensive midfield point of view they have plenty too, Toure, De Jong, Barry (when realistically they only need to play one of them). Also I see people are knocking Milner - he was class today and has been one their best players this season, the system suits him perfectly.

I also think defensively they have plenty with the other Toure back now.

In my opinion they have the best squad in the EPL by far. And if everyone is fit their first 11 is a country mile ahead of any other team in our league.

13. bluemoon2

bluemoon2 Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to our match against MC! It will be the right kind of test. We had a wierd day today that only happens once in a blue moon. On the other hand for all the quality start they have had this year, I dont think any MC fan could have expected the kind of result they had today! Enjoy it ! It wont be like that every week!

14. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

15. Watfordftw

Watfordftw Member

Wouldn't say the best in the world, perhaps in England. But they got taken apart against Bayern

16. The Ginger Marks

Had they played like they did today against Bayern they would have wiped the floor with them.

17. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Real and Barca would take them to shreds, but in England im inclined to answer yes.

18. The Ginger Marks

I think they have the ability to do better than United against Barca, its not like they could do a whole lot worse considering the capitulation on two occasions.

19. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You could apply that to anything. If we played like we did 2 months ago we would never have lost 6-1.

City have been **** in europe and United haven't done much better. Calls into question the quality of the league for me.

20. Zinc Alloy

Zinc Alloy Member

Agree with this.