1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

It's a rugby town

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by bum_chinned_crab, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

I dont follow rugby, can't stand the game but this morning on my way into work listening to Radio 1, one of the news items was about Hull beating Huddersfield. I find that quite odd, always felt it was a minority sport. Seems they report on the Premier League, Scot PL and whatever the hell that was that FC were playing in.

But yeah, if it makes some people happy, good for them, nice to see 3 major teams in 2 sports in Hull.

2. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

I'll not bother with the multiquote reply. It's too messy.

In general, people DON'T associate rugby with Hull. RL fans do in their own little bubble. It's people in Hull (and the HDM) that are causing people to criticise that view. That's not 'getting knickers twisted' it's informed debate.

I have attended both, so have your permission to comment. People can still form an opinion other ways too or we'd never talk about City games we didn't attend.

I don't find the play off system complicated. I never have from its conception. It's long term rugby fans that are confused by it.

Just a suggestion, but telling people what they can and can't say and what they must do to decide is not only bollocks, it also irritates. <ok>

3. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't really see point of this debate, I'm from Hull so I'd like our rugby sides to do well, despite having absolutely no interest in the game personally.

Radio Rugby gets on my nerves, but outside of that, I can't see the issue.

4. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

HCAFC (Airlie Tiger) Well-Known Member

While I'm sure your post was constructed without an ounce knowledge on the subject your entitled to your opinion.

Uncompetitive - about as competitive as premier league football, depends what your opinion on top flight football is I suppose.

Relegation/promotion - a thorny subject, a measure to stabilise finances, in hindsight not the best idea but at least their trying something unlike football where the biggest bank balance wins.

World cup - 8 teams in american football, 14 teams in rugby league, close but no cigar!

Two league systems - it works and people enjoy it, don't know what your problem is.

Soft as **** - not worth a response!

5. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio Well-Known Member

Union is a toffs sport and it's ****e.

I await the backlash.

6. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

That's my point, be proud our small city can support as much sport as it does, creating some pointless rivalry doesn't achieve anything.

I don't just think it's the excessive rugby coverage that annoys people about humberside!

7. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

It's all personal experience I guess, obviously no-one outside of Hull has ever mentioned rugby league to you, my experience has been different. Saying 'In general' doesn't make you right, your not in a position to make that statement, like I said you can only go on what you've experienced as can I.

You didn't attend both games this weekend, basing it on the TV coverage (where mics are sound mixed) is hardly accurate. As for other games I agree it can be like a morgue for rugby too which I'm guessing you've experienced. Already said I shouldn't have commented on that as it only serves to wind people up.

With regards to the play-offs I was being sarcastic, sorry if that was lost on you.

I didn't tell you what you can and can't say, I just indicated commenting on something you couldn't possibly know doesn't really add to the debate.

8. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Airlie, you can't possibly know how I know about the atmosphere at any given game whether I'm there or not.

With not a lot of effort, you could find out why a lot of City fans are less than impressed by the attitude of a number of FC fans. You could also find out why quite a few people feel that this attitude extends to a wider remit and in many opinions, has served to hold back this region for quite some time.

You like FC, that's your choice, but to apply your thinking to others simply shows your own ignorance and makers you look a tad pompous.

Enjoy your sport, but don't be so quick to criticise others that don't share the cammaraderie element until you understand why. (and please don't just guess)

9. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

You indicated the atmosphere at the game you attended was poor, I didn't claim to know what game that was, I simply said that does occur, your being pedantic.

I know exactly to what you are referring too, whilst it's not something that effects me or influences my opinion I can understand and empathise why people feel this way.

Yes I like both sports equally and I know in this city (and indeed the country) that is quite rare, of course I don't expect people to have the same opinions, but you can appreciate one of the few positive things about this city without despite personal preference and opinion.

I understand why, I just think it's sad that that's the situation we have. The 'bubble' as you refer to it doesn't just engulf rugby league but the city as a whole.

I'm not trying to change opinion (it would be naive to think I could do so), I was merely stating my opinion to contribute to the debate, which is what this board is for.

10. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

I never mentiond A game I attended, so can't be being pedantic.

The 'bubble' you talk of doesn't encompass us all, this thread is evidence of that.

11. WhittlingStick

WhittlingStick Well-Known Member

if nobody mentions the Ice Hockey team in a minuit im gonna puck-ing get ruddy ruddy mad !

12. FILEYseadog

FILEYseadog Well-Known Member

I have never been to a rugby ' game '.

Seen it on tv a couple of times.

I don't like Rugby and I don't Care if both Hull teams go bust. Especially the team that play in our stadium..

13. Barmbys_Tan

Barmbys_Tan Well-Known Member

As i found out about 2 weeks ago...we also have a basketball team

The 'Hull Wasps'

14. captaintigerrobin

captaintigerrobin Active Member

Aswell as an American football team, the "Hull Hornets."

EDIT: Not anymore :p

15. HHH

HHH Well-Known Member

I'd wind it in Airlie. Dutch and Bob love casting out a line for rugby fans. I've never seen a single rugby themed thread on here they haven't commented on.

16. Newland Tiger

Newland Tiger Well-Known Member

How many police and stewards do they have at the KC when Hull FC play ?

Do you get told to sit down ?

17. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Every year Wigan Athletic have been on the same level as the rugby league club, in the top flight, their average attendance has been higher. That doesn't suggest Wigan is a rugby town. And the football club, unlike the rugby one, have not won anything but have more often been fighting relegation.

18. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

Hull is regarded as a rugby town because the southern Press prefer to put an easy label on a northern city rather than make any effort to find out anything about it.
    On the surface we have two top tier RL clubs which is unusual in that sport, so that's the most convenient way to define the place?

Also because the main sport in most towns is football, the term "Football Town" doesn't identify a point of difference, so it's rarely used unless there's more than one Football League / Prem team like Sheffield, Manchester, Liverpool etc.

It's not worth bothering about really because the Press / Media are notoriously lazy and our club will always be "Hull who play in a rugby town in Humberside".
    They won't learn so we might as well develop a thick skin and ignore them.

19. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Then you haven't looked hard enough. There are plenty I haven't posted on. It's also no wind up, I'm passing my comment on someone elses opinion.

20. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

The southern press don't even know RL exists. The rugby town bollocks is mainly by the local media and FC fans.