1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

It's a rugby town

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by bum_chinned_crab, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

Ok not looking to get my head bitten off, genuine question and this is a rugby thread so seems ok to me...

I know, basically, the differences between Union and League, and their respective roots, but nowadays, why don't they join into one and have more power from one system than 2? Some players have made the swap from 1 t'other so I don't understand why they keep it divided.

Surely it can't just be historical?

2. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

I think it's both TBH, but for some reason the 1980 Challenge Cup final at Wembley between FC and KR left an indelible mark in the minds of the National Press and even if we spent a decade in the Prem they would still regard us as a rugby town.

3. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Union has little to gain from a link to league. RL fans are still bitter about the initial break at the forming of the northern union I believe.

It's a comical fact given the wendyball comments from some FC types, that rugby was created largely because they felt the dominant version of football at the time was too rough.

I also find it funny to see that the date on the Hull RLFC badge shows they were founded about three decades before rugby league itself.

Of course, at that time and to this day, rugby is simply one version of football, making us a proper football mad City.

4. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

We must read very different papers. The rugby fans themselves complain at the lack of coverage of their sport in the mainstream press.

5. Benjo

Benjo Well-Known Member

I think you'll find they do boss... having read this whole thread it looks like someone seriously woke up on the awkward side of bed this morning... I've not managed to figure out why you care so much about this either. I can't say I'm that bothered about which sport people from Hull (or not) think our city is more well known for, though we have two top tier teams in RL and have won more in RL so how that can be dismissed in this argument because you're bickering over which and how many games you've been to I just don't know.

6. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

You'd best let the FC fans and other RL fans know as they routinley complain at the lack of national media coverage.

Oh, and this is a discussion forum, for people to talk through their opinions, having one and expressing it doesn't mean I'm grumpy, it simply means I have an opinion, largely based on experience and consideration, which means it's unlikely to change just because someone dismisses it.

7. Notts Trent Tiger

Why would there be any bitterness from a split that the now rugby league teams made?? In 1895 the northern teams wanted to pay their players the southern teams never so the Northern Rugby Football Union was formed separately from the Rugby Football Union! It was the rugby league teams decision!

Hull FC formed as a rugby football side in 1865 and where one of the teams to split from the governing body !

You obviously have no knowledge of the history of rugby league so why make a big fuss over it?

8. Stuart Blampey

Stuart Blampey Well-Known Member

Hull Football Club- the clue's in the name

9. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

A couple of points;

1. despite how it may look at a glance, I don't have any issues with rugby league, so I'm not making a fuss about it, but commenting on an associated issue.

2. If you really believe there's no issue between rl and ru at some degree at all levels, I'll not bother with the rest of the reply as our personal experiences are obviously very, very different. Mine's limited to traveling to watch RU internationals, watching pro and amateur rl, being friendly with some rl coaches both amateur and professional and playing both codes (at a very, very low level).

10. Benjo

Benjo Well-Known Member

Oh, thanks I'd completely forgotten that <doh> and here's me trying to snatch that human right away from you.

I just think you're being harsh on Airlie, who made some very good points, most of which I fully agree with.

And why the **** should I notify all FC and RL fans that League has national coverage exactly? How would I go about it? Firstly, you can usually see RL games on Sky... that's national enough surely! From my experience RL fans complain about the lack of national interest, not coverage.

All you've done is try to poke ethical holes in my comment rather than acknowledge the fact that as a city we've won much more in RL than we have in football... That's the only point I wanted to make.

It's similar to the "look at the state of the pitch" argument that comes about ever February when everyone on here slates FC for the **** playing field whereas in actual fact it's due to the shape of the stadium and the weather. The groundsmen have even stated that the football takes more out of the pitch and after just a little bit of actual thought anyone can see that they're right.

Sorry for going off the rails a bit there...

11. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

It was the RL bit I thought was the bigger clue. Hull FC founded 1865. Rugby League created 1895. Some foresight that.

Amazing how sensitive some are about it.

I bet they're FC fans rather than Rovers.

12. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Ethical? No idea.

As for being harsh. I simply express a view that differs from his and support my view with evidence. If it shows holes in the otre view, that's not harsh, it's just debating from a stronger position.

As for 'winning' at RL...please. As the fc fans and yourself acknowledge, it's hardly kudos to the City is it? Beating M6 pit villages, or more shamefully, NOT beting such teams and having a worse success rate than Batley in finals put it in perspective.

13. mussiesredhat

mussiesredhat Active Member

as well as a speedway team.

pre-edit: not anymore

14. mussiesredhat

I can't see it happening, but I firmly believe that if RU ever changes its rules to make a drop goal worth 1 point and a penalty worth 2, then RL is dead and buried anyway. having been taken over by basic RL techniques and coaching, RU is now by far the better sport, apart from all the kicking and clapping

15. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio Well-Known Member

Yeah but i've also seen it written somewhere that Hull's a coastal town. Shows how much they know, eh.

Anyway, there's only one Hull RL team and that's Rovers. The other is Gateshead. Arf Arf.

16. mussiesredhat

we must be a coastal town because we have sharks in one half of the city

17. Stuart Blampey

In view of the trouble that has marred Hull-Warrington games in the past, will the HDM be running with 'BEHAVE OR ELSE- HULL AND WIRE FANS WARNED' for next Saturday's game?

18. City

City Active Member

I went to my first FC game at the KC last night with my lad. I have to say the atmosphere was better and certainly louder than Saturday.
    South stand was as loud as the east stand I was surprised how good the atmosphere was.
    One thing that helped was beer in the stands the atmosphere improved as the game went on and more booze was drunk!
    All in all it wasn't bad I came out thinking good luck to them they won ,
    But absolutely nothing like the buzz I get when walking away after a city win.

19. Stuart Blampey

Talking to someone at football on Saturday who said CAS fans were quote scrapping like **** unquote among themselves the other week

Lots of stewards piling in- much worse than we see at City

20. Exodus Geohaghon

Exodus Geohaghon Active Member

It's always gonna kick off worse at rugby and non-league football. Same happens at pre-season friendlies. Wherever police resources are stretched, in other words.