1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Jack Ross, the good ...

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Smug in Boots, Oct 6, 2019.

1. FulwellBri

FulwellBri Well-Known Member

I dont get this defeatist ' who would want the job' bilge.
    It's a big job. A job with almost limitless potential. I'll go so far as to say even in this league it is bigger and better than any job in the c'ship and quite a few in the premier.
    BSA arguably got the England gig based on what he did. Yes he left a bad taste with many but it was always his dream job.
    For me I think ross has a blueprint of what a manager is or should be. But it is all show.
    From the clothes, the cliches, the demeanour. It is all textbook stuff but it doesnt translate in the dressing room, the training pitch or the field . He wont deviate from that I think and fair play to him for sticking to whatever principles he has. Fact is it is not working here and he has failed and is continuing to fail.
    For me it is a young manager ( assistant ) from the German or french leagues we should be going for . Dont know who they are but looking at what the barnsley and norwich men are doing what that bloke ( Wagner) at huddersfield did that is what we want. The stodgy repetitive british model isnt working.

2. Roker choker

Roker choker Active Member

Agree, I'm no expert but from watching one match Walker played last season for Mansfield I said he would have been ideal for us, would love to see the in depth scouting dossiers Coton and Hill have created while here

clockstander likes this.
  3. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

I know I see it the the red and white tinted glasses but being our manager in the situation we are in is a hell of an opportunity.

A club on its knees, the chance to build us back into the premiership and achieve massive adulation.

Even getting if they get it wrong we hardly ever (never) have mass protests about it

4. Guinness Guzzler

Guinness Guzzler Well-Known Member

It always annoys me when this happens. I know it won't be as easy as it sounds but he must know that this risk averse style and constantly focusing on clean sheets that we can't keep will see him either sacked, or at least not have his contract renewed. If that was me I'd think "**** it, this is my last chance, let's just go for it". Instead he seems to be persisting with a style that has never really looked like getting us out of this league even when Maja was here never mind after he left

5. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

I'm guessing cut and paste jobs.

6. FulwellBri

FulwellBri Well-Known Member

Amazing how much info you can write on a toffee wrapper

7. sheepman

sheepman Well-Known Member

No apologies needed mate.
    Think this could be a couple of things

May be its down to being the underdog in the cup games which I can accept. The games will have a different feel about them.

However more worryingly maybe the players think they are better than they are and don't think they have to put in a shift against League one teams
    but are happy to work hard when the Premiership media is watching. That would be unacceptable

Nacho and smithy in nl like this.
  8. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

That would explain a lot actually.

9. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

I agree completely, thank you. <ok>

10. malagamackem

malagamackem Well-Known Member

I must say I am confused and disappointed with JR. I personally thought he was a great appointment. I would love to know the mood in the dressing room and whether the players still have his back. I’m disappointed with the fact we lack a playmaker and a style of play that others fear.
    I’m not sure sacking him would solve it though.
    The only benefit I can see is that we get that new manager uplift which sometimes happens and sometimes doesn’t. TBF we have lost Oviedo Maja and Catts and not replaced.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019

11. T_Bone

T_Bone Well-Known Member

Bloody hell, I feel like topping mesel

12. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

But he's not though is he mate.
    I've been Ross in from the start but things have gone badly wrong.
    Reading some of the comments from lads who see the team first hand can no longer be ignored.
    Yesterday we all knew Lincoln would get a lift out of their new manager and we obviously couldn't match them for whatever reason.
    As for a replacement manager I have no idea and not sure going back to Big Sam would work.
    Were in a really bad place at present.

13. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

Hi mate that comment was about Tony Pulis <cheers>

14. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Christ don't want Pulis here, if you think the football's terrible now just ask the Boro fans about his style of play makes Jack Ross look like Pep.

RTB, Sheep Farmer and Sunderpitt like this.
  15. Guinness Guzzler

Guinness Guzzler Well-Known Member

I think partly the cup thing is because the opposition treat it as nothing more than a friendly. I know there's always changes, and you'd think the lads coming in would have something to prove, but this is a tournament where you don't earn a penny in prize money until the semi final (and even then it's 25k for the beaten semi finalists, 50k for the beaten finalist and £100k for the winner, so in premier league terms even winning it is buttons). I can't imagine the clubs who have limited squads (like Burnley and Sheffield United) will be telling them to go out and give everything to win it, they could do without the extra games. I'm sure they'd take it seriously in a semi final, but until then it's pointless for them. It's a tournament ideally set up for shock results

sheepman likes this.
  16. sheepman

sheepman Well-Known Member

Very true. I think you can only really judge the team on league performances when the opposition are up for it
    What gets me about the league games is nothing changes Ross changes the personnel but regardless there is no team work and no real aggression

Guinness Guzzler likes this.
  17. Nozs’ Hat

Nozs’ Hat Well-Known Member

Remember what Coleman said when he took over, it is a difficult job but imagine being the manager who took us to our full potential. Who wouldn’t want the job.

Ozzymac and Bank of England 2 like this.
  18. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Spot on

19. malagamackem

malagamackem Well-Known Member

True...but who is going to risk their pedigree and reputation? The only person I can think of is Hughton. Other than that we recruit someone (like Ross) who has shown potential in a less demanding environment, or pay stupid money like Notts Co. did with Sven to fly though the league. It is a difficult choice but I would personally opt for the Hughton style route. Maybe Im wrong but can't see an odds on strategy other than that.

20. Zak's Dad

Zak's Dad Active Member

I can't fathom why he won't "roll the dice" and be less risk averse, he has nothing to lose because surely he can see that "more of the same" will only lead to the sack?

A few posters have alluded to "stuff going on behind the scenes means he's actually doing a good job".
    But I have absolutely no idea what they're talking about?

Nig likes this.