1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Jack Ross, the good ...

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Smug in Boots, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Was still backing him up until yesterday.
    He won't be going anywhere until the takeover is sorted either way.

But I've lost faith now,
    when he goes i wish him well but unfortunately its not good enough here.

Smug in Boots likes this.
  2. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

The real question that needs asking is would you prefer to be at the bottom of the championship or happy in prem mid table ask Stoke fans?

3. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Seriously I'd rather stay in this league than have that Neanderthal manager anywhere near this club.
    The Pulis's of this world are out of date as was Roy Keane after he left us.
    Footballers either superstars or mediocre won't be treat other than with kit gloves.
    And by the way if we think we're in trouble think OGS at manure won't have a settled night in bed after that disaster up the road.

Nads and rooch 3 like this.
  4. MKmackem

MKmackem Well-Known Member

It's starting to become embarrassing, being played off the pitch week in week out. No heart, no desire and no ****ing idea !!!

Smug in Boots likes this.
  5. MKmackem

I'd rather poke my eyes out with blunt stick than watch the **** Pulis puts out every week...

6. MKmackem

Or on the head of a match...

7. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

What about Slavisa Jokanovic?

Built 2 excellent, attacking minded sides at Watford and Fulham.

2 daft sackings, Watford coz the Pozzo’s are off their tits and Fulham as players were bought he didn’t ask for and the team was disjointed as ****.

Knows the way out of the Championship should we land there, gets his team pressing oppo which is what a lot of us want to see.

He’s managing in Qatar, I doubt he’d be hard to poach.

It’s a strong, viable thought for me.

8. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

He'd be earning a shed load more in Qatar

9. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

the Bristol rovers away game falls on the next international week, so is that getting called off and why not now.

10. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

No doubt. But there’s always the hope he’s interested in the challenge.

Doubt he’s skint.

Ozzymac likes this.

11. Brainman

Brainman Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see how Ross and the players react on Tuesday.
    Throwing caution to the wind would be nice.
    As nobody really cares if we win or lose.
    Try something different Jack. Go for it.
    Not holding my breath.

clockstander likes this.
  12. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

1-1 <laugh>

rooch 3 likes this.
  13. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Atm Ross is taking a lot of stick, a lot of the criticism is merited imho.

However will he get it right? The problem with chopping and changing managers is that, as had been said, you may get a short term new manager bounce, but you end up with a motley crew or rag bag and Bob tail group of players. As the different managers plan on their own particular formation/tactics strategy..and only get a part way through implementation. Neither fish nor foul, or neither use nor ornament, you could say. Which is what happened to us.

I only listened to and read about the game on Saturday, have not seen it, but even Ross is saying it was the worst ever.

So what happens? Nothing atm I suspect until the 'takeover' does or does not resolve. We do not have a game to bounce back...so the bad ordeur is going to linger.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  14. Zak's Dad

Zak's Dad Active Member

The problem for me is that he's already been given enough time to prove that he won't or can't turn it around.
    After the January transfer window there was a huge thread over the road where people pointed out that he hadn't brought in any players with midfield presence, or pace in attack, and therefore his tactics were effectively tied to the same risk averse line up of packing the midfield with slow defensive players whose only task appeared to be to protect the back four. And who couldn’t get up to join the attack - let alone make runs past the strikers.

You could - word for word - have the same conversation now. 10 months after the first one, and another transfer window later.

He's really struggling now because the opposition have sussed him and are planning accordingly - and yet he's still refusing to alter a failing game plan.

All the evidence points to him not 'coming good' or 'turning it around'. And I refuse to believe that another manager won't be able to hugely improve performances and results with the same squad.

15. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

I certainly agree with the point that we do not seem to have a game plan, other than give it to Mcgeady

We are not scoring enough goals, poor strikers and poor service to them..not enough chances created

16. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

Cos' watching Sunderland right now is like watching Barcelona....

MKmackem likes this.
  17. MKmackem

Who knows what the answer is flanders...

We need someone to shake these players up and spark them into life. I believe we have the players to piss this league, but we don't have the manager to implement it.

18. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Don't the players have to take some responsibility for that? They are playing for arguably the biggest club in League 1. Shouldn't that be enough motivation? Wouldn't that be enough motivation for you?

Is that Ross' game plan? Or is that the easy option for players who are overawed, out of their depth, or simply not up for it? A Roker Report article (and I'm not saying they're the fount of all knowledge) a few weeks back was of the opinion it was the latter.

Anyone read 'Living on the Volcano'? Interviews with football managers. Brendan Rodgers says in there if a British manager doesn't spend the entire game effing and blinding and screaming at the players, he's no good or doesn't care. If a foreign manager is calm and quiet and shows little animation he's considered educated or intelligent. When I read that, I immediately thought of the way Jack Ross is described.

19. Zak's Dad

Zak's Dad Active Member

Agree with both points regarding the attack, and when you add in that we concede too many clear cut chances and goals despite having a very defensive set up at the back.
    With the only plan appearing to be:
    Buy more centre half's
    Hope the goalkeeper is our MOTM again

It all adds up to a failing set up easy to defeat.

When you look at that through the lens of:
    Our failing game plan hasn't changed in one year and two transfer windows despite spending three times the rest of the league ague combined and performances and results are slipping?

There's only one conclusion staring us in the face.

20. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

One decent defensive midfield player, with a covering option, would have solved the problem, yet none of them could see it, thats my worry, Jack and his staff are clueless about what is needed, and fall between the two types of team that would see us go up, we have an awful weak disjointed mixture, and cant seem to sort it out, he looks more perplexed now than the day he started. <ok>

Bank of England 2 likes this.