1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours January 2022 Transfer Window

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by SaintInKuwait, Dec 11, 2021.

1. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

On £200k a week I heard.

2. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

He’s in the England squad and is a great influence on younger players so fully deserved

garysfc and Cowtownred like this.
  3. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

4. Gregm1988

Gregm1988 Well-Known Member

I had heard it was a four year deal but I think we put it on the table in 2020 and he didn’t sign until 2021 (as revealed above). Or what I had heard wasn’t quite right

5. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

Geeez 4 years? He’s done ok but he’s not amazing. What is it about signing average goalkeepers on massive contracts.

I guess we won’t be investing in a new no 1.

6. Lovelocum

Wow I just checked, Walcott is our top earner (along with Forster) at £75k a week. That’s insane.

I guess the young players must appreciate it though. You can’t put a price on that.

7. Gregm1988

So it will be 3 by the time he signed it I gather. Until 2024. For similar wages to what the source you seem to have used for the other post says. So massive to the likes of you and me but 50-55k is basically just average experienced premier league player wage. It is similar to what Jack Stephens gets for example. So I wouldn’t say automatically rules out a new number 1

JWP is now our top earner - but Walcott and Forster are still just below. That Walcott contract is mind boggling. He only just about earned a permanent deal on that average a I mentioned. Not 50% more. We need to start considering “would another team actually pay this”. So do other teams mind. I look at man united for example. Bent over a barrel because they are who they are just to get players over the line. Rather than walking away and finding players who want to join and play for more sensible money

8. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

JWP is our top earner actually.

9. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

Where do all these numbers, some contradictory, come from?

10. Lovelocum

11. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
  12. SaintInKuwait

SaintInKuwait Well-Known Member

The thing is, all these numbers are going to be estimated. The content of player contracts never seems to get out there in a meaningful way and we have no idea of how even estimates break down into base pay vs bonuses. Theo was always going to have an seemingly high salary as, without a transfer fee and on a shorter deal, the value of him as an asset over the length of the deal is lower.

I’m not explaining myself well, but basically his salary is reasonable for a squad player on a free at the end of his career and we don’t know the true value of everyone’s contract.

13. Lovelocum

Yes that’s the one, Theo Walcott. Officially he is one of our players.

14. Gregm1988

There are 3 or 4 different sources and in some the figures are consistent and in others they are wildly different.

I have seen a range of 40-100k for Che. The latter is not true because much was made about JWP being top earner

I have seen 35-50k for Lyanco. Again, the top end seems too high as it is more than Salisu when he signed and both are/were inexperienced in the league

The Walcott number is the same in all of them but that includes the ones when he was on loan (I think).

Redmond is also right up there which might result in him not getting an extension this summer. But he is another who won’t get that amount elsewhere (I don’t think) so we should be considering reduced terms. But players don’t seem to ever sign reduced terms. Their wages go up due to inflation and their increased experience. But this doesn’t reflect declining effectiveness. We can’t afford to have people approaching 35 cluttering up the top of our wage bill in circa 3 years time

15. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Trouble is, if people like Salisu are on £35k p/w, you can easily see him getting £100k p/w somewhere else. Which is why getting him signed up to a new deal should be another summer priority.

davecg69, ChilcoSaint and garysfc like this.
  16. Gregm1988

I think he is rumoured to be a little more than that which makes sense for a 22 year old coming from only one or two seasons in Spain.

It is very easy to make claims about him easily getting 100k elsewhere but I still don’t think there as many players getting that as many would think - using the same websites for all clubs. Chelsea, the two Manchester clubs and to an extent Liverpool distort those numbers

I am not sure he is in a position to join any of those yet. He still drops howlers and has bad games. That is just overlooked compared to the others because when he is good he is so much better. Consider his performance against Spurs - a side he would be in the frame for. You have to think him absolutely losing his head and diving in all over the place in that match would give them pause. Especially on a 5 year 100k per week contract

For example - I don’t think we will be offering him that much

Sure Newcastle complicate things but they were linked with every defender in the window. It seems like they will go back for Bottman first

I guess I am challenging the claim that you could “easily” see someone offering a fee that would probably be at least 40m and a contract totalling 25m excluding agent and signing on fees this summer. Maybe next summer - so your ultimate conclusion about needing to sign him up for longer is of course true

17. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Absolutely! Also, I accept the numbers could be wildly out but there’s a lot of first team regulars down that list which isn’t good reading. And 2x questionable goalies on £6M+ per year! <doh> (for a cash strapped club like ours).

18. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

Saints do their business on the downlow!

[get battered 4-1 on opening day]

BREAKING! SAINTS TRYING TO SIGN HUDSON ODOI ON LOAN!

19. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Impressive work to re-heat the January window thread in August, SaintinNZ! <laugh>

20. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

Ah, Whoops! Not sure how that happened....my bad folks :emoticon-0102-bigsm:emoticon-0102-bigsm