1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

January 2023 transfer window

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by Butterfield, Dec 29, 2022.

1. lardiman

lardiman Keep smiling through
    Forum Moderator

OK, brief summary...
    So far in this transfer window we have

3 in (Kane, Bonne, Penney)

5 out (F-Caskey, MacGillivray, McGrandles, Stockley, Kirk)

The three in have made 3 starts between them since joining. Probably would have been more, but Kane picked up an injury.

The five who've gone have made only 2 starts between them since Boxing Day (6 games ago) when Dean Holden took over.

The big question is;
    Will we lose any regular member of our Starting XI before the window closes?
    We'll know in about 18 hours...

2. Sat In Greenwich

Sat In Greenwich Well-Known Member

expecting f all to be honest. the club seems to be downsizing faster than the rate we have in the last 10 years. come next season i can see conversations around needing a 27000 seater stadium such is the good job they've done in deterring people from watching

The Penguin likes this.
  3. lardiman

Forum Moderator

We've signed a couple of players in the last few hours, and O'Connell is apparently off to non-league.

If there's going to be a disaster in this transfer window it has just under 4 hours to happen... :emoticon-0158-time:

4. Sat In Greenwich

isnt it all a disaster already? getting rid of proven players on multi year contracts in exchange for short term loans/deals for players who've barely played.

quite annoyed about stockley... easily one of the top strikers in the division, in the right formation. we've gone from him and washington up front to basically anyone who fits in a shirt.

5. Butterfield

Butterfield Well-Known Member

6. Elfsborg från Borås

Elfsborg från Borås Well-Known Member

Michael Hector looks a promising signing<whistle>

7. The Penguin

The Penguin Well-Known Member

"Not played this season":emoticon-0184-tmi:.

8. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Can't recall more dead wood being binned in a 24 hour period.
    Not a typical January deadline day. More like a night of the long knives...

Elfsborg från Borås likes this.
  9. The Penguin

Dean Holden and Anthony Hayes said at the Fans meeting that they weren't looking to strengthen at CB.

10. Butterfield

Butterfield Well-Known Member

Is it still 50 points to stay up? Can we get 6 more wins this season?

11. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I think none of us have a clue.
    8 out ... O'Connell probably the one we'll miss most in theory, but he's done little lately and he was Garner's man not Holden's.
    5 in ... at least a couple of them injured or not match fit right now. And very little game time between them this season as I understand.

February could be a very long slog.

Elfsborg från Borås likes this.
  12. Elfsborg från Borås

Holden is a nobody and will suffer any old s***.

At least he has kept us up. He'll be gone soon and another clown will come in for the new season.

13. Elfsborg från Borås

<laugh>

14. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

Well, that was exciting. It's genuinely hard to see any sort of game plan in last night's action. With the exception of O'Connell, the players who left are largely sidelined and a lot of players on show that fans say 'I'll drive him myself' when a sale is mentioned. And let's face it, the play offs aren't happening. But relegation is shill an injury crisis away. And the players we brought in are an unusual bunch to put it mildly.

I see elsewhere that this firesale was to make us attractive to a buyer. Only Charlton could find three billionaires so potless they need to thin the squad to make us an attractive purchase. It was fairly clear that any owner who wanted to make a serious promotion push next season should expect to spend big time in the summer. That is still true, so hardly a positive for anyone. Some of them (Kifk and Jayesimi) are on loan, so back in the summer. The definition of a sideways step.
    I may let my subscription to Charlton live go dormant for a bit. Time to play golf and enjoy life - this is miserable.

lardiman and Sat In Greenwich like this.
  15. Sat In Greenwich

been saying it all yesterday. it was a downsizing exercise. we are much worse off; even if the ones leaving were benchwarmers... wtf have we got on the bench now?

16. The Penguin

On the face of it it wasn't as bad as I feared, but Dobbo and Leaburn will be off in the summer, and we will be left with hardly any contracted players. Operation BreakEven has become Operation No Ambition, and I can't see Holden sticking around too long after his 6-month contract expires, if his brief is purely to break even in L1. Saturday's game showed how far we are from becoming promotion contenders, and we appear to be dependant on a takeover which is receding into the distance.

Ken Shabby and Smudger603 like this.
  17. Ken Shabby

As I said, I can't see a recognisable endgame in this. To be fair, Leaburn was touted as being already on the Palace books in all but name, and he's still here, so there is that question that what we have kept is the players ost of the fans had said were the only ones worth keeping. On that basis, we cleared a lot of deadwood so no harm done. But swapping Bonne of Stockley was okay in itself but I expected to see another striker come in hopefully with a different skill set. Jayesimi and Kirk simply haven't improved at all, and it was best for both sides to move them on but that should have opened up a space for another player to come in.
    Overall, it just feels like something is going down but what is showing on the surface defies logic. Why buy a club with Charlton's potential to try and run it at break even level? Or even downsize as a way forward? Personally, if I was going to do that with my excess milions, I'd look for something a bit more financially rewarding.

18. The Penguin

Thomas was deluded, he thought he was so clever that he'd find it easy to run Charlton single-handed, get us promoted twice and into the Champions League. Breakeven is PlanB.

19. Ken Shabby

Not really a dream at all to be honest - breakeven will be nigh on impossible given the infrastructure, but will probably make the crowds dwindle. However, I'd pretty much taken it as a given that TS was now just running the club as a sort of sideshow while he tries to find a buyer. But now we are looking at what sort of objectives a buyer might have for Charlton if you need to cut costs drastically to make buying the club attractive.

20. The Penguin

You can only guess, but maybe Thomas wants to get back all the money he's lost through his own mismanagement, same as Roland does, which, if true, does not bode well for his attempts to sell.