1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

January Transfer Targets in the Eredivisie

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Cove, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Cove

Cove Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

There are four months between the Summer and Winter Transfer Markets and within those four months, things can change quite dramatically for players. Net worth can decrease, potentials can fade away and prospects might become disappointments. In the past 18 weeks in the Eredivisie all of that has happened.
    Usually I make lists of players that are the best transfer targets for that period when the markets are open. This Winter, I have to make an exception because a many players that were bound to go abroad in the Summer never made a move. The case of Ola Toivonen is a prime example of that. PSV have been trying to get a 1 year extension signed by the Swede. Problem is, he is already at the salary-cap but he still demands more. Problem for Ola is that he hasn’t shown his worth on the pitch in recent months. His net worth has declined fast and a few clubs seem to be interested in his services. Dutch media have also been reporting that he has been a big part of the dysfunction within the PSV team, causing all sorts of problems in the locker room.

please log in to view this image

Whilst Toivonen is one case, there are many more, so here is a list with the disappointments in the Eredivisie:

Jordie Clasie(Feyenoord CM): Has regressed, lacks experience to be a leader in midfield. Even though his work-rate is good, he has been very inconsistent.

Siem de Jong(Ajax AM): After his lung collapsed early in the season he has been out of form and picked up injury after injury. Has been replaced by Davy Klaassen.

Stefan de Vrij(Feyenoord): Inconsistent, extremely regressed in his development and defensively very weak. Feyenoord is lucky to have Joris Mathijsen because this was supposed to be the season to let De Vrij take leadership of the defence and the team, he horribly failed to do both.

Viktor Fischer(Ajax LW,ST): Lost his form of last year. He has the quality but so far has been a bit too eager to show his talent. Defenders have discovered how to take him out and since then hasn’t been very effective.

Kolbein Sightorsson(Ajax ST): Injury after injury and when he is in good health, proves that he is not a class striker, just a very, very average one.

Adam Maher(PSV CM): THE biggest disappointment of the season. Can’t seem to find his way in the PSV team. Still shows signs of brilliance now and then but they should put him on the missing persons list in Eindhoven as he has been invisible in the entire first half of the season.

Georgino Wijnaldum(PSV AM): Good start of the season but has been injured for 3 months.

So these names are the ones to avoid this Winter, but even though the Eredivisie has been ransacked in the Summer, there are still a couple of names on the ‘to watch’-list for clubs in the EPL.

Alfred Finnbogason(Heerenveen ST): He was in top form at the start of the season but ran a bit out of steam a bit towards the end of the year. Very consistent striker but, and this is a big but, still needs a lot of chances to score goals. His positioning and finishing are currently the best for a striker in the Eredivisie, on top of that he is incredibly strong as well. His technique, speed and ball security however are below par and cause him to miss a lot of chances. SC Heerenveen tried to extend his contract but so far Finnbogason has snubbed all offers and wants to move on. With 1.5 years left on his contract he could be a bargain for any team that can take a big risk. There is one condition though, he needs minutes. Used as a sub, he is worthless. Worth 4-6 million pounds

Daley Blind Ajax(LB, DM): Extremely consistent and has made quite a development defensively. He became a decent left back last season but lacks top speed to be effective. Frank de Boer has put him on midfield this season next to Davy Klaassen and made a direct impact there. His passing and positioning are superb and therefore could attract the interest of clubs. Worth 6-8 million pounds.

Davy Pröpper (Vitesse CM): Ever since the departure of Marco van Ginkel to Chelsea, Pröpper has been the rising star at Vitesse. This midfielder got the chance to be the play maker in midfield and took it. The guy has been phenomenal this season. Worth 2-5 million as his contract runs out this season, but he is in talks with the club to get an extension.

[video=youtube;UC7qKZpU9dQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC7qKZpU9dQ[/video]

Maarten Martens(AZ Alkmaar, AM): This 29 year old Belgian is inconsistent, but has brilliant technique. Poor work-rate and a bit complacent but, he has half a year left on his contract and is not willing to sign an extension. Potential bargain for 1 or 2 million pounds.

Roy Beerens(AZ Alkmaar, RW): This guy has been the engine of AZ this season. He is a box to box winger with an extremely high work-rate. His tactics, vision and technique are good but his problem is his finishing. A lot of chances he tries to convert himself and most of the time he shoots them in the second ring. At a bigger club he would probably look for options more and therefore could be a very good winger for the EPL. 4-5 million pounds.

Dusan Tadic(FC Twente AM/RM): Bit invisible this season but still is a quality attacking midfielder. His technique, passing and shooting makes him one of the best players in the league. Could be an option for lower table clubs. 5-7 million pounds.

Kenneth Vermeer(Ajax GK): Fallen out of grace with Frank de Boer and got benched. The guy is still a good Michel Vorm type of goalie with excellent reflexes. At 29 he is in need of a new club and therefore on a cheap: 2-3 million pounds.

Others on the list:

-Luc Castaignos(FC Twente, ST): Poor start of the season but regained some of his form in November. Still misses a lot of chances but his positioning, work rate and his concentration are top notch.
    -Filip Kostic(Groningen, AM): 21y old AM with brilliant passes, tactics and a good vision on the pitch. 5-6 million.
    -Kristoffer Nordfeldt(SC Heerenveen): Flappy but experienced goalkeeper. Poor technique and distribution but excellent at shot stopping, neutralizing crosses and one-on-ones. Just an old school goalie. 3-5 million.
    -Graziano Pelle(Feyenoord ST): Bit reluctant to put his name in here, never had any success outside of the Eredivisie but an amazing striker for Feyenoord. A killer in the box, at Feyenoord they have one policy when it comes to attacking: give the ball to Pelle. 8-10 million.
    -Lasse Schöne(Ajax) : Solid, experienced midfielder. 27y old, 5-7 million
    -Hakim Ziyech(SC Heerenveen): Revelation of the season, gifted midfielder with brilliant free kicks and long range shots. At 18 too young to make a move but a definite must watch this season.

And that’s the list of transfer targets this Winter.

2. JKCanary

JKCanary Guest

Either Pröpper or Martens would be ideal for us.

3. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

Yep, although I think Martens is unlikely given his workrate.

I also like the sound of Tadic, but I imagine he would be out of our range and I'm surprised the suggested price is so low.

I still wouldn't rule out Toivonen, and either Maher or Wijnaldum would be fantastic even if their form has been poor, but I suspect they are also out of our price range.

Thanks for this Cove, really interesting info.

4. canary_max

canary_max Well-Known Member

henning berg was scouting for us in holland and germany wasn't he, let's hope he's seen something decent that could improve our defence and midfield

5. Cove

Cove Well-Known Member

Like I said in the intro, net worth can go down, Tadic is at 25 years old and is reaching the top of his ability, won't expect much improvement on his development, on top of that he hasn't been in the form of last year so I estimate his worth dropped 1 or 2 million, maybe even more. Last Summer I would have rated him 7-10 million.

6. Canary Rob

I have a few players that I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on, if I could trouble you Cove?

(1) Maarten Martens - we need a sharp, creative attacking midfielder with crisp passing and an ability to keep hold of the ball. I think we can afford to take a loss on an ageing player because the experience is invaluable and I'd have said Martens fits the bill entirely - do you agree and if so would he want to come to us? I can see his contract runs out this summer.

(2) Alfred Finnbogason - we don't really need a striker, and I also see that Celtic are apparently unable to match the asking price, but is he as class as his stats suggest and would he come to Norwich, or should he go somewhere bigger?

(3) Mateusz Klich - is he any good?

7. Canary Rob

Apologies - not a criticism, I just think he's pretty good!

8. Cove

Cove Well-Known Member

Didn't take it as criticism mate, I have to keep it short as I'm responding to 3 threads now ;)

1) Martens wants to cash in me thinks, he is 29, has been injured a lot in the past 4 years. He has the crisp passing, he as the ball security when motivated and yes you can afford a loss to give this guy a chance in the EPL. However: you have to consider this question before even considering a punt at him: can he work with Fer. Mu answer would be no as the two playing styles conflict eachother in midfield. Both are very dominant and both are maybe a tad bit slow when it comes to speed.

2) No, he will not be third choice behind Hooper and RvW.

3) He is good, but he has been a bit invisible as of late. He has the ability to give Wesley Sneijder like passes, but he gets carried away from time to time and loses the ball.

9. Canary Rob

Hmm - he sounds perfect to me (apart from the just wanting cash part...) We don't really need pace in the centre and if Fer is pushed deep I'm not sure that would necessarily conflict. It would also be helpful to have a player who could take up his mantel if he should get injured.

10. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I do hope one day we sign someone from the Eredivisie that's been discussed by Cove, I keep getting excited, then we sign someone I've never heard of, or we'd never considered.

11. Canary Rob

For some reason I have in my head that he did mention Fer (my memory is that Cove was very positive about Fer, but heard that he was going to Everton and we wouldn't get him?), but I might be wrong

12. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That wouldn't surprise me if he came up in one of these threads 12 months ago actually, but we all dismissed as going to Everton, true.

13. carrabuh

carrabuh Well-Known Member

I like the sound of kostic and Propper.

2 New playmakers in the centre wth Fer and ditch the wingers.

14. tipsycanary

tipsycanary Well-Known Member

Ideally would you really want to play without wingers at all, playing a narrow midfield? Or would you just not want wingers in the traditional sense?

15. Canary Rob

I agree, but I think we should also go for a bit of experience and I think Martens might be the guy.

16. K E M P

K E M P Well-Known Member

It's a bit like the swans, they play largely thought the middle and then use Dyer for pace out wide normally at the last minute and it works really well.

Our problem is getting the ball wide too quickly which allows the opposition team to set their shape up, this is why I think we struggle to create chances. I may be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time. Ask to he missus.

17. carrabuh

carrabuh Well-Known Member

I prefer wide midfielders, or players that move wide as and when necessary

18. tipsycanary

I can't believe your missus would ever thing you are wrong! I agree, from an attacking point of view we often use wingers poorly. They often receive the ball too far out, and deliver somewhat hopeful crosses from 30 yards. Our first move in attack is to get the ball wide so become too predictable, also a thing that I find annoying is when a wide player receives the ball our players first instinct is to move further away from them. This means it is predictable what they will do as they have so few options and they give the ball away more as they either have to put in a long cross or play ambitious long passes.

I have no problem with playing wingers as when implemented well it can create more space and drag out the opposition. We need to give the wingers more support from full back and CM, linking up with shorter one twos in order to get behind the defence, then play a cross.

19. tipsycanary

Im inclined to agree, its important to keep width, but best to be flexible with it rather then just having players hug the touchline as used to be the way. As I have said above I have no problem with wingers but they must be implemented differently to be more successful in attack.

20. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

For me, it's about investment. Not a good idea to buy stocks when they are soaring, but when their price to earnings ratio is low. Maher did enough last year to convince me and now could be a good time to buy (like Fer was last season after a relatively poor run of form).

I don't know Kostic, but he sounds like another possibility and of course Pröpper, if he doesn't sign an extension at Vitesse.

Thanks once again for your excellent analysis, Cove!