1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Jose Enrique- The Stats/Opinions

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by _, Aug 11, 2011.

1. _

_ Member

I bum stats in a way only Comolli and John Henry can relate to, so as per usual thought i'd crack some stats out for you guys. I always find it funny how MOTD clips can differ from what the facts say.

We should also remember Newcastle signed Enrique for £6.3mil, so we are quite getting him for cheaper than he was originally bought. Might shut up a few who wanted to panic buy him for £11mil at the start of the summer. Great business by the boys!

Anyway it's generally good news:

From Jen Chang (one of the few journalists who make sense on Twitter):

1 on 1, Enrique's very hard to beat. Happened only 9 times last season, compared to A. Cole (38), Clichy (26), Baines (24), Evra (23)

"Very loose comparison but Enrique strikes me as a pacier version of Aurelio with more ability to dribble. Also very solid defensively imo."

From AnfieldIndex (they compile a ton of stats):

LB Tackling Stats Comparison: Enrique: 61 (84% won) Evra: 80 (76% won) Baines: 84 (74% won) Cole: 100 (67% won)

LB Successful Dribble Stats Comparison: Enrique: 65 Evra: 26 Baines: 26 Cole: 17
    (what's more, only N'Zogbia and Nani in the whole of the league beat this record, boy can dribble!)

Out of Baines, Evra, Cole, Clichy and Enrique, Enrique conceded the least fouls (in fact conceded 50% less than any of his contemporaries)

Weak Stats:
    His aerial stats are quite weak, and he gave possession away more than those other left backs listed, though of course all the other players play for teams better at keeping the ball than Newcastle.

Here's an article from those guys comparing the stats of the top left backs, and where you can find said stats:
    http://www.anfieldindex.com/2685/liverpool-fc-transfer-scouting-stats-left-backs.html

Also:
    Last year Enrique was in the Championship team of the year alongside... that man Andy Carroll. Teamwork anyone?

Enrique was Newcastle's player of the season last year (SEASON BEFORE LAST), always impressive for a left back. Also for a Spanish player to come over, stick it out in the Championship, and deal with the huge amounts of games and the physicality of the league and play so well, suggests the guy has character.

Enrique VS Brum:
    [video=youtube;xGHI5Q77wBo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGHI5Q77wBo&feature=player_embedded#at=18[/video]

"One of the best left backs in the league", "One of the best around"

Enrique VS West Ham:

[video=youtube;MMkHwGAw8kI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMkHwGAw8kI&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Helluva pass:
    [video=youtube;MN_qX_OeZ18]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN_qX_OeZ18[/video]

2. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

haha, knew stats were coming! He just might be one of the best buys of the year, we will see but he could defo do the job for us, problem for me is...... I have him in my fantasy team and I highly doubt he will play now :=:)

3. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

4. KingEric07.

KingEric07. cape wearing twat

Why do you doubt he will play ??

5. _

_ Member

Haha i did the same thinking he would be in last week and start this week and then everyone would spam sign him and push his price up!

@KingEric he only means this weekend i think!

Advantages of his signing:
    Prem proven
    Another Spaniard to keep Reina cozy
    Apart from Baines, the only player outside the top 4 who is capable of stepping up, and we got him for a bargain
    Showed loyalty and determination staying at Newcastle when they went down (think his recent tweets are different as everyone is unhappy)
    Another cool nickname to add to the list... 'the bull'

6. Foredeckdave

Foredeckdave Music Thread Manager

FACT

It looks like the lad already has class, pace and can tackle. Playing for Liverpool under Kenny he WILL become an even BETTER player

7. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

Awesome stats there! Can easily see how good that business was from those stats.

8. Oh Titus She Said No

His only weakness is aerial threat and i'd say he's a little too relaxed on the ball sometimes, always tries to play his self out of danger which didn't always work for him and wayward passing across the pitch which ended up with other team attacking. Other than that he's quality and if he was playing for a London club he'd get as much publicity as Baines as he's probably as good if not better!

9. Chappaz

Chappaz Active Member

He really wasn't. Far from it.

10. Badgers Assemble

Badgers Assemble Well-Known Member

Great player you've got yourselves <ok> but Tiote was our player of the season :D

11. Sir Bobby

Sir Bobby Active Member

Having watched nearly all his games for us I can tell you you've signed a gem. I'm doubtful the price is £6 mil but anyway.

His dribbling IS very good but he sometime doesn't know what to do with the ball and ends up passing it back.
    I've never seen him beaten for pace though. Ever. In our 4-4 game at one point Walcott pushed the ball past him and whilst turning he slipped a bit, but he still got there before him.
    He also tackles very well. In one of his first games he played Man U and was against Ronaldo. It was 0-0 (at half-time) and Ronaldo was looking **** so Fergie switched him to the other wing against Beye (who was very good for us) and he ended up scoring a hat-trick and setting up one.
    His long passing is good but his crossing is average. Also he farts about at the back and loses it sometimes (often).
    Hope he does well and gets his Spain call-up cos he's easily one of the best LBs in the world

12. Sir Bobby

Sir Bobby Active Member

Oh and this. To even suggest he was our best player is laughable really

13. Lucaaas

Lucaaas Well-Known Member

I can be you left back baby!

14. KingPepeReina.

KingPepeReina. Active Member

Its a bargain.
    I made a comment ages ago that we should not go anywhere near him, because the price that was quoted was £15 million. £6 million on the otherhand is a steal.
    I would have no problem with Fabio Aurelio in the side, but the problem is how long will Fabio Aurelio remain in the side before picking up an injury. Fabio Aurelio is a fantastic left back when fit. There has been many reports that he's a top professional too, no manager has ever had an ounce of trouble from him.
    Its just security. Those stats do make interesting reading.

15. _

_ Member

I was still on 2010/11 season mode, given that the new one hasn't actually started. If i was to say player of the season this year would you honestly think i meant the preseason games?

And since we're being pedantic, then given that he was awarded the honor in 2010 then he was indeed voted played of the season last year.

But it's good to know we have several Newcastle fans to proof read the article, after all it is aimed at you guys...

16. Lucaaas

Lucaaas Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

17. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

18. Sir Bobby

Sir Bobby Active Member

I was talking about 10/11. Barton, Nolan, Tiote, Coloccini were all miles ahead of him last year. He was our player of the year in 09/10 (hence the reason he got the honour in 2010...)

19. _

_ Member

@Raaaul haha definitely sums that one up!

20. Smudger

Smudger Active Member

Quality player and for value for money he'll be far and away your best signing this summer, 6 million is an absolute steal in todays market. Weaknesses are aerial ability (but when does a full back need to win a header?) and sometimes getting relaxed and sloppy with passing.

Oh and just to pick up on something from the article, he wasnt our player of the season. 4th best I'd say. The player of the season award is from the year we were in the Championship (no Barton or Tiote).