1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Juan Mata

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by PINKIE, Jun 27, 2011.

1. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Reports today are that we are going to make an £18m bid for Mata. In the Daily Mail I know, so all taken with a pinch of salt, but he would certainly represent the type of signing we've been looking for.

2. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Cant see the point myself.

Wilshere and Ramsey are both top young talents.
    Fabregas and Nasri are both still under contract.

Mata's an excellent young player but I cant see the point he's certainly not the kind of player we need.

I'm fed up with Wenger collecting small creative players and short scrawny centrebacks - It's like he's auditioning for a Terry Gillian Film.

please log in to view this image

3. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

Mata is proving to be one of the best left wingers around. Surely any team would welcome his signature? <ok>

4. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Mata could be another Overmars in the making. Unless we utilise Terry Gilliam's time travellers to go back in time and get the 1998 version of Overmars, then Mata might be a better option?

5. robin_van_ fiberglass

robin_van_ fiberglass Active Member

He's better than Nasri so would be a great replacement for him if Nasri leaves. I don't know how you could be against it personally, I am trying not to get too excited in case it turns out to be media bullshit!

6. TheBear

I'm not claiming to have all the answers, like i said I think Mata's an excellent young player but our lack of size in the team does concern me.

But I think we need:

1. A Powerful Centreback
    2. An Experienced Goalkeeper
    3. A Top Class Striker

And I think most Arsenal fans would agree with that.

7. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Not sure he's better than Nasri, but I don't think Nasri is going anywhere anyway. The only thing he has ever said is that he will sort out his contract with Wenger in the summer, which he is doing. I still think we should go for Mata though, as a better replacement for Arshavin, who whilst undoubtedly has the skill, is far too inconsistent and at 30 is not getting any younger.

8. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I would, I think Szczesny is our long term between the sticks, but he needs decent competition for the No1 jersey. The other two positions are essential <ok>

9. robin_van_ fiberglass

I don't think we need a new goalkeeper, I don't think we need a new CB but I do agree with you about the striker :)

10. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

You don't think we need a new CB ? given the problems in this position last season - how can you say that?

11. The Bonstar Wandit

The Bonstar Wandit Well-Known Member

i think one CB is needed. Kos, Verm & Djourou are good, another taller player to compete with Djourou would be great.

12. Highland Gunner

Central Defensive midfielder, would be the position id deem most critical to fill at the moment

13. robin_van_ fiberglass

We were without Vermaelen for pretty much the whole season and I think a quality DM would also help to reduce the pressure on the defence. Besides even if we sold Squillaci and bought Samba for example it would lead to one of our defenders being unhappy at the lack of playing time.

14. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Given the amount of games in a season including all competitions, I think there is more than enough for players to get games. It's true that we were without Vermaelen last season, but what happens if he breaks down again? Or Koscielney gets injured. If we have no back up, then we're in exactly the same position as we were last season.

15. The Iceman

The Iceman Member

Anyone saying this wouldn't be a signing worth making needs their mental health checked out. He's a proper winger, something which we don't have, and he's one of the best left wingers around at the moment.

16. robin_van_ fiberglass

Perhaps, but I don't regard Vermaelen as injury prone so I am not going to assume that he will always get injured.

17. robin_van_ fiberglass

Wouldn't describe him as a proper winger, more versatile than that. He can play as a number 10 too.

18. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Maybe not Vermaelen, but he's only just come back so we need to see. However given the length of the season, injuries are almost a given. How many seasons have we been saying that injuries have cost us for now?

19. TheBear

Madness we conceded 43 league goals last Season.
    Claiming the centrebacks were'nt at fault for that is just naive.(yes the whole team could have defended better but the number of goals we concede suggests there is a definite problem with our back four)

I also think Sczezney will be our long term keeper but I would just like to see some experience come in as back up.

20. robin_van_ fiberglass

I think its a bit pessimistic to assume that our best players will get long term injuries but I take your point. Samba could be useful I guess as backup.