1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Landlord

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by TheCasual, Feb 26, 2024.

1. TheCasual

TheCasual Well-Known Member

So our landlord has decided that due to there fix rate on their mortgage ending they are selling.

Thus we have been given 8 weeks notice to leave.

I'm wondering if find a new house to rent will we have to pay the full 8 weeks? Or can we give them four weeks notice?

It's such a frustrating situation as we are about 18 months from buying.

2. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

Have you rang the landlord up and seen if they’re willing to just come to a perfectly reasonable and amicable agreement such as that? You can make things much more awkward and expensive for them than they can for you. If you find another house in that time and can leave early it’s probably best for all parties.

3. rovertiger

rovertiger Well-Known Member

Was it a section 21 you were given TC? Sounds like it. Me and my flatmate was given one last month but we were lucky to get other accomadation each. She's already left and I leave in the morning, we both wanted to get out before the 2nd March when the next months rent is due. We had two months notice as well upto the 15th March but we'd have only got two weeks out of a months rent.
    Have you been to Housing to apply for a Council house? They have a section that deals with the homeless and because it's not your fault you have some priority. Your first stop must be Housing mate because if you do become homeless you'll lose your priority.
    I'm moving into a flat in a Almhouse complex because of my age and health, please, please go to housing straightaway. you're given a dedicated person to deal with your case.
    Good luck mate.

4. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

Yes you can give 4 weeks notice within the 8 weeks period they have given you.

5. Red top reader

Red top reader Well-Known Member

And I thought I had problems selling my house, there are some right twats out there, one wanted me to reduce £35,000 so they could do some alterations. I couldn’t hold back, said “ are you ****ing kidding me “ threw them out the house, my mrs was not blessed please.. ****ing tyre kickers

rovertiger likes this.
  6. steverico

steverico Well-Known Member

You see that all the time on a place in the Sun, if the place had a ****ing pool the price would be £10k higher.

Red top reader likes this.
  7. Brucebones

Brucebones Well-Known Member

I know you say you’re 18 months from buying, but could you negotiate with your landlord to buy where you’re living now, or is that not an option, or you wouldn’t want to buy that property now?
    If you’re looking for a mortgage advisor that doesn’t charge, try London & Country, they helped us finding our mortgage 7 years ago, went through with the renewal 5 years ago & the only reason we didn’t use them this time was because we wanted to reduce the term of the mortgage & had to go directly to our lender.

8. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

Was thinking the sameBB.... a bit like some of the transfer deals... a loan with a commitment to buy....

9. The B&S Fanclub

The B&S Fanclub Well-Known Member

Slightly off topic, but be very careful if buying a leasehold property. I understand that some landlords are increasing service charges way above the rate of inflation. One woman in London got a bill for £33k. I was going to buy a leasehold flat in Victoria Dock a few years ago. Pleased I did some research and pulled out.

dennisboothstash likes this.
  10. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

We don't allow any posts that are in any way party political, so have unfortunately had to remove the posts above.

tigermaul likes this.

11. rovertiger

rovertiger Well-Known Member

Jeeze, thought I was going crazy then, sure I'd seen posts after the top one.

Well I'm in my new abode and I feel absolutely ****ed, unpacking can wait <cheers>

Chazz Rheinhold likes this.
  12. Heimdallr

Heimdallr Well-Known Member

There was no danger of an argument. It was an opinion on one person over a specific task regarding a topic related to an existing post. Happy to be disagreed with - communication and dialogue broaden understanding and usually result in an agreement. The deletion was unnecessary and a bad decision.

Howdentiger2 likes this.
  13. Chesh1recat

Chesh1recat Well-Known Member

Only £35k?
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...tml?ico=amp-comments-viewall#article-13128627

Red top reader likes this.
  14. Red top reader

Unfortunately my garden isn’t big enough but take your point… maybe a bird bath/pool lol

steverico likes this.
  15. Red top reader

Chesh1recat likes this.