1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lawro's Premier League Predictions - Matchday 32

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by THFC6061, Apr 7, 2011.

1. THFC6061

THFC6061 Well-Known Member

Lawro's Premier League Predictions - Matchday 32

SATURDAY

Wolves v Everton (1245 BST)
    Wolves came off the rails in a big way with their heavy defeat at Newcastle last weekend and I bet their manager Mick McCarthy is sick of hearing about how he is without his main striker Kevin Doyle for the rest of the season, because his injury is a major blow to their survival hopes.
    But Everton have plenty of injury problems too - they are running out of players - and, with only one league win on the road since Christmas, their away form has not been great. All things considered, I am going to go for a draw here.
    Prediction: 1-1

Blackburn v Birmingham
    This is a massive game for both teams, who are both just above the relegation zone. They both got a couple of big results last week too, because a draw at Arsenal was excellent for Blackburn and good old Kevin Phillips set Birmingham on their way to their win over Bolton.
    Blackburn have put all their eggs in one basket by saying their home games are key to them avoiding relegation and this is obviously an extremely important one for them to try to win. It is different for Birmingham, because a point on top of the three they got against Wanderers would be a decent return.
    I get the feeling that Birmingham will be doing their best to make things as difficult as possible for Rovers. Blues goalkeeper Ben Foster is in great form and I don't think his side will be giving Blackburn too many chances anyway.

Bolton v West Ham
    Following Stuart Holden's long-term injury, there might be one or two Bolton midfielders thinking they have got a chance of a game at Wembley in next week's FA Cup semi-final so I don't think having that on the horizon will affect the outlook of Owen Coyle's side too much.
    West Ham have to look at last week's defeat by Manchester United as a blip, because apart from that they have been in good form, but I cannot see them getting a win or a draw at the Reebok Stadium.
    Prediction: 2-1

Chelsea v Wigan
    I just don't think Fernando Torres deserves his place in the Chelsea team at the moment, having seen him struggle at Stamford Bridge in midweek against Manchester United in their Champions League quarter-final.
    But apart from that defeat, I think Chelsea are looking more like their old selves and they are likely to be too strong for Wigan.
    The Latics are scrapping for their lives at the bottom of the table, and got a good point against Tottenham last week, but they cannot get a sequence of wins together and, at the moment, don't look like getting out of the bottom three.
    Prediction: 2-0

Man Utd v Fulham
    Manchester United will be without the suspended Wayne Rooney but Dimitar Berbatov can just slot in up front for them, and Michael Owen might also get a chance.
    Fulham had a very comfortable win over Blackpool on Sunday with two good goals by Bobby Zamora but the way United use the wings when they attack at Old Trafford means they are very difficult to stop.
    We know United can cope with having so many important games coming thick and fast, and a big boost for them is that defender Rio Ferdinand is fit again - he just cruised through their win over Chelsea in midweek.
    Yes, Carlo Ancelotti's side should have had a penalty at the end but United deserved their win because they were the better team and you always thought they were capable of raising their game if they needed to.
    Prediction: 2-0

Sunderland v West Brom
    Sunderland are in a bit of a mess - they have now picked up only one point from their last seven games.
    They didn't appear to miss Darren Bent at first when he was sold to Aston Villa but he is clearly a huge loss to them. This is another tough game for Steve Bruce's side, too, against a West Brom team that are unbeaten in five games under Roy Hodgson.
    But I am going to for a Sunderland win here, because I think their form has to improve sooner or later - they are not that bad a team without Bent, and Bruce will have read the riot act to them after Sunday's 5-0 defeat by Manchester City to try to make sure they finish what had been such a promising season in the right way.

Tottenham v Stoke
    It will be interesting to see how many of Tottenham's walking wounded are available after their disastrous Champions League tie against Real Madrid on Tuesday, and to see how quickly Harry Redknapp's side can get over such a big defeat.
    This is the first of four successive home games for Spurs that could shape their season, and Stoke will be a big test for them.
    The Potters were very unfortunate not to beat Chelsea last week after playing extremely well but I think they might just be edged out in this one.

SUNDAY

Blackpool v Arsenal
    Last week's defeat by Fulham was the first time that Blackpool's players looked like they had been in a long, hard season - they just did not have their usual zip.
    To see Arsenal slip up against Blackburn was a surprise but that is the problem with Arsene Wenger's side - they still drop points when you don't expect them to.
    Blackpool will go at Arsenal and an open game will suit the Gunners down to the ground, but they cannot afford any more slip-ups now if they want to keep their title hopes alive.
    Prediction: 1-3

SUNDAY

Aston Villa v Newcastle
    This is a very important game for Villa, who I thought were decent in their draw at Everton last week. I am not a believer in saying that a team is 'too good to go down' but Gerard Houllier has so many matchwinners that I am convinced they will be fine.
    Newcastle have been a bit up and down on the road, and I think teams think they can get at them. You have to think Villa will get at least a couple of goals here.
    It was interesting to hear about Magpies midfielder Joey Barton claiming in midweek that he is the best midfielder in England. Good on him, and I don't mind things like that because he genuinely believes it - but, although he has had a really good season, I don't think he should be in the England team.

MONDAY

Liverpool v Man City
    The problem for Liverpool at the moment is that they are getting down to bare bones in terms of players. Daniel Agger and Glen Johnson have both picked up injuries and they don't know whether Steven Gerrard will play again this season, so their manager Kenny Dalglish is having to make do and mend.
    Manchester City might have been cavalier in their win over Sunderland last week but they will probably revert to type here, and try to keep things as tight as they can.
    The manner of their win over the Black Cats was really interesting, though, because City boss Roberto Mancini basically went with four attackers and two holding midfielders. You were left thinking why doesn't he do that more regularly?
    Yes, they might lose a couple more games but they are also more likely to win a couple more too. You have to look at them and think had Mancini gone for it more often, then they would be a lot, lot closer to leaders Manchester United.

Here are all of Lawrenson's 2010-11 predictions, together with how the Premier League table would look like if he was correct...

Lawro's 2010-11 Predictions