1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lee Johnson and Leadership Skills.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Nov 25, 2020.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

JW, I am not a LJ fan but I don't think anyone can pin any financial disasters and we had a few of them totally at his feet, we also had some fabulous deals benefit us under his contol, I don't think ,although some on here thinks he can walk on water,you can credit him being responsible for all of them.

His time with us has gone, he has earned the right and has been granted the privilege of working for Sunderland FC, it's up to him to develop his relationship with the fans and club, I honestly wish him well, beat Bristol Rovers 5-0 and we will all be happy.

2. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

He did better when he had less money to spend. Liked what he was doing at first lots of passing often quick and short but as he spent more that like what he was doing became no idea what he was doing as he played so many formations and players. He liked a change Lee. Johnson could be bonkers on Sunderland til I die watched City for forty odd years and none here has talked a game like Lee can.

3. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Despite the league they currently play in, Sunderland ARE a big team ! Were Leeds, Man City and co all suddenly small teams just because they were relegated ?

Given the number of Managers that Sunderland go through, I'll give Johnson until the end of the season only, but if he's not delivered promotion, then he will probably be sacked

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  4. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

look out Angelic OS will pounce on you … they aint BIG!!!!

5. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No pouncing from me JGF - you said they were a top club before you admitted you were wrong and changed it to Big Club. They deserve nothing and are where they are for a reason.

Nottingham Forest, Derby and Sheffield Wednesday were top clubs at one time, but they're not now just like the Smoggies.

All in the bottom 4 of the Championship and a long way to get back to where they were. In fact, Sunderland have further to go to get back.

6. realred1952

AH yes but they have got LEE now and he is sure to drone on and on :emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl:

7. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Funnily enough those three "Big Clubs" I mentioned now in the Championship, Forest, Derby and Sheff Wed all sacked their managers whilst Lee was out of work.

Why do you think he didn't go for and get one of those positions and have to dip into League One for a job? Did they all think they were "too big" for him to handle whereas Sunderland had nothing to lose?

8. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

9. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that winning at L2 Oldham in the Mickey Mouse Trophy is much of a Barometer ?

They have 2nd placed Lincoln away on Saturday in L1 which might be a better yardstick, given Sunderland haven't won in 5 or more league games.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  10. realred1952

well ROONEY is obviously on a big contract and need new owners before anything is sorted... whilst Forest having "picked" top managers haven't really set the world on fire!

11. realred1952

D W W D W W L D W W L D D D L
    3 points from 15 is pretty poor going ! so 9 from 15 would be a big improvement! A good barometer to set the ball rolling … Lincoln on a run of 3 wins after 2 losses and a draw!

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  12. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

I got poo pooed when Houghton was appointed Forest manager when I said that if he doesn't improve their position along with the type of football he likes to play, he won't be long in the job.................................I believe he's on the very thinnest of ice!!

13. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Probably OS, none of them are doing much better under new management so far though, are they? If, and a big if, he gets them up this season, then they can easily be a force in the Championship again

14. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

It might have been mutual - by that I mean that LJ may not have wanted the poisoned chalice of a ‘big’ championship club with massive expectation and unforgiving fans.
    Getting a big club like Sunderland promoted from League 1, although difficult, would be less of a challenge than getting any of those established Championship clubs to the prem

Supcon72 likes this.
  15. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Or even saving them from the drop for that matter?

Apart from the McClaren appointment as DOF, don't know what Derby are going to do with the change of ownership being sorted, but Sheffield Wednesday are a basket case. Pulis will have his hands full keeping them up.

Never rated Hughton and glad he didn't come to us when Warnock left. He's got a decent squad at Forest, but apart from the initial upsurge in results when he first arrived, he's not made that much difference so far.

As far as "unforgiving fans" are concerned, if Lee doesn't come up with the goods at League One level for Sunderland this year, he'll find out all about it up there.

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  16. realred1952

VERY TRUE a possible outcome but unlikely?... surely not!

17. realred1952

I reckon anywhere from 8th upward this season will suffice? ...next season should they be in lge 1 nothing less than promo!

has Lee done a rewind? took BARNSLEY to WEMBGLEE left them poised for promo …. so SUNDERLAND he could do 2 birds 1 stone promo via Wembglee? … then for championship, he will should city be still there look to go whoooooooosh

18. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

True - I had forgotten just hoe 5h!t those 'big' clubs are these days!
    All fans are unforgiving - but its more likely he'd get Sunderland promoted IMHO - Forest and Derby fans in particular seem to behave as if they have been 'loaned' to the lower leagues by the Prem and we should be grateful for the privilage of playing them!

19. realred1952

Lee's first game in charge v Lincoln AWAY and 2-0 to Sunderland

20. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

I must have been asleep at the wheel because I only just noticed that Lee was in charge at Sunderland. They have been in a slump for some years and although Lee would not be my first choice I wish him well up there, but I'm not expecting him to produce miracles this time out.