1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Leeds v Derby highlights

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by LeedsLover, Jan 12, 2019.

1. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

A lengthy and thorough explanation LL. To clarify, two wrongs don’t make a right... the other fouls in the game are not an excuse... they are context. It’s been pointed out, that You are choosing to highlight the BPF one because you aren’t his biggest fan!

As for ‘being right to a certain degree’ I thought i’d Clarified that but what I meant was. Right, that he shouldn’t have raised his studs, right that it risked a penalty and a sending off.

Not right in my opinion that it was as dangerous as you point out. He didn’t kick out or stamp with his foot. His studs were up though and high and shouldn’t have been.

Not right to state categorically it was a deliberate act to kick him the face as opposed to a natural self preservation one in reaction to seeing the guy coming. Only BPF knows that.

I’m not excusing here, just putting another perspective across. In rugby they have outlawed tackling a guy in the air... more than one reason for this, but one is that when you are airborne someone clipping your lower half will flip you, risking amongst other things neck and head injuries when you land.
    People say keepers are over protected, but going up for a ball leaves your hands above your head, taking your arms... your normal options for balance and defence... out of commission. As an ex-keeper i’m Sure you have opinion on that LL.

No malice either

Whitejock and OLOF like this.
  2. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I’m not condoning what he did but Derby players were following through and clattering our players at every opportunity, the ref had been far too lenient all game. I’m questioning was it in a silly way self defence.

If BPF had charged forward, jumped in the air and boot raised went into the guys face then an entirely different outcome. For me he jumped straight up in the air, he looked and thought the opposing player was going to clatter into him when he had no right to.

BPF already had the ball in hand, the player had zero chance or reaching it.

Do I think it was silly of BPF and showed inexperience yes. Would I have complained if he had been shown red, no I’d expect it to be given 50% of the time.

It could have been a game changer but then so could have our two penalty denials have been and at least one of there players committed three bookable offences yet he only received one yellow. True two wrongs don’t make a right, he’d be advised not to do it again but it was one small talking point for us and they got away with several, they really did.

JonnyLosAngeles likes this.
  3. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Imagine the fans response had BPF not put his foot up & the wee sh1te had smashed into him, taking him out for several games.....

They'd absolutely slaughter him for not defending himself, and putting the promotion push at risk as only Huffer available etc., etc.

He rightly took the safer option imo.

OLOF likes this.
  4. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

after some of the earlier assaults by derby thugs i don't blame him.

Whitejock, OLOF and Gessa like this.
  5. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

And what about the 2 challenges he made with his foot raised, immediately before the bpf incident.

Whitejock and OLOF like this.
  6. w.c.dukenfield

w.c.dukenfield Well-Known Member

I'm beginning to see a glimmer of common sense in your recent posts Wakey keep it up.

Whitejock and wakeybreakyheart like this.
  7. JonnyLosAngeles

JonnyLosAngeles Well-Known Member

Hi WJ.

BPF already had his knee up to protect himself. Extending the foot was a foul and a likely red card if called.

I trust the coaching staff have already spoken to him about it and told him not to try that again, he got a free pass this time, may not be so lucky next time.

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  8. Whitejock

You would have a point if the wee sh1te was coming in head-on - but he wasn't! He came if from the side. The foot movement was a balance thing as he was trying his best to brace himself for the impact. Watch it again, & also note just how close the ref was immediately in front of BPF - and with a clear view. He had done us no favours up to that point & allowed Derby to get away with several vicious assaults. If any ref was going to punish BPF, it was him. He didn't. Nor did the linesman flag for anything untoward. It was a straightforward foul TO LEEDS.

OLOF likes this.
  9. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

I understand the point (well, you’ve made it 45 times.....) you might think he was justified, but I’m on a simple point - another ref would send him off so it wasn’t smart.

10. JonnyLosAngeles

Your comments snipped.

Actually on the replay I saw, from behind the ref's angle, I don't believe he could see the foot going forward, maybe not even the leg up.

I agree AR should have seen it perfectly. May not have seen the foot moving forward from that distance in an instant though.

Whitejock likes this.

11. Whitejock

And I accept your point too, up to a point! :)

Not sure you could have another ref more likely than this one to award against us. He really was that bad. I've seen a lot of crap refs at ER & this one was topping the Crap Referee List! :)

OLOF likes this.
  12. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

I think raising his foot quite as high as he did was ill considered as it gave the little twat the idea of trying to get a penalty.

JonnyLosAngeles and OLOF like this.
  13. JonnyLosAngeles

That's funny, but a lot of truth in it.

Don't give refs an opportunity to make a call against you. Golden Rule!

Eric Le Merde likes this.
  14. OLOF

OLOF Well-Known Member

The Derby players were trying their hardest to break that golden rule

15. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Another referee 'might' have given a penalty and sent him off, small difference in words but massive in terms of opinion. No one knows for sure whether another ref 'would' have sent him off <ok>

OLOF likes this.
  16. JonnyLosAngeles

Not "might have," "would have!"

17. Whitejock

<laugh><laugh><laugh>

Sad, but true!

OLOF likes this.
  18. JonnyLosAngeles

They got away with murder, just about!

Would love to see a compilation of their fouls!

OLOF likes this.
  19. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

That doesn’t change my point. I agree ‘might’ is the word I should have used, but my point stands that a professional should not risk leaving his team with 10 men.

Leedsoflondon likes this.
  20. Whitejock

Is that just the 14 the ref blew for, or to include the assaults that he ignored?

We committed 12 fouls, mostly for health & safety violations like hazardously sneezing within 50 yards of a Derby player etc.