1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Let the links begin...

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Spanish, May 5, 2024.

1. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

These are all factors, I think the compensation is silly and is not any kind of a deterrant. It will probably have a £100 million impact to lose McKenna so the compensation should be closer to that.

McKenna’s family is already wealthy though and he hasn’t worked the last 15 years to be a flash in the pan so I don’t think he’ll be tempted by £9m. It wouldn’t all be additional money over and above what he’d earn at Town anyway.

I think whatever choices are made will be footballing ones.

2. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Indeed and one can read all sorts into that. The question is, will the club be in a really good place without him? Whoever came in will need time to settle in, coach the team in his style, adjust to so much, while facing up to some of the best teams in England if not the world!

Last edited: May 22, 2024
  3. 1950canary

1950canary Well-Known Member

I can only wish you good luck but if you seriously believe that any Manager is only driven by Football matters and not money and prestige then I think you are being very naive. If a bigger Club comes calling then he will be off.

ristac likes this.
  4. TopBunk

TopBunk Well-Known Member

Moving on now and failing could damage his stock and reduce opportunities in the future, he could find himself resigned to championship jobs if his first chance in the premier league goes tits up.

5. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Town have offered to quadruple KMs wages to 5m a year over 4 years.

6. 1950canary

1950canary Well-Known Member

You mean like Kompany who is linked with the Bayern Munich job?

7. TopBunk

Kompany stayed and carried on where he was.

8. Redruth

Redruth Well-Known Member

No, I think he is being liked to the job now <yikes>

9. TopBunk

After a season in the premier league with the club he got promoted

10. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Chances of making a name for yourself at Chelsea the way Mourinho did in the current conditions are slim to none. Don’t quality for the Champions League and you’re gone - and you have to compete with Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool and three or four other sides all vying for that fourth spot. Same goes for Spurs and Man United.

11. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

The BBC says:

“McKenna – who is contracted to Ipswich until 2027 - is ambitious and is understood to be keen to take the next step in his career.

Talks with Ipswich are likely to take place this week and the Tractor Boys are expected to offer McKenna a new deal to convince him to stay at Portman Road.

BBC Sport understands that is expected to fail with the manager, and assistant Martyn Pert, feeling the time is right to move.”

This would certainly be in line with the comments last night.

This would be disappointing. If he leaves now then McKenna would be side by side in Town’s history books not with Bobby Robson, but with Bill McGarry instead.

12. Redruth

Just read that while trying to find the Kompany link to Bayern, not a good read.

13. Redruth

on the BBC site, linking him to Brighton & Bayern.

14. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Very disappointing,but we're a victim of his/our success over the last two Seasons.

15. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Just reading on TWTD that this supposed BBC journo is a Norwich fan.

16. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

Exactly that. Had you scraped up via the play offs he might not have attracted so much attention.

17. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

On the flip side, if Town were bottom without a win after fifteen games would we expect Ashton to reward the loyalty? Probably not.

18. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Lunchtime today and long before the BBC Fabrzio Romano mentioned McKenna is being considered by Chelsea. Follow him on Twitter he is rarely wrong and way ahead of the likes of the BBC

19. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Long before lunchtime today, McKenna was being linked with Chelsea yesterday. As for ‘rarely wrong’, the tweet says he is being considered internally along with some others.

20. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

The last 48 hours makes me think McKenna’s leaving regardless for one of those three clubs linked (Chelsea, Brighton, or Manchester United). I get the impression he’s waiting on what happens with the Man United job - as that’s his preference. It’s going to be a very rare occasion when I cheer for Man United to win a trophy this weekend!

If it’s Man United - I’ve got to say fair enough. A club he apparently supported as a lad and he’s been there for several years before us. Getting that top job seems to be a career ambition - he may as well leave now while his stock is high and they’re keen. He’ll have support of the new investors and you’d imagine he’d get a couple of years. If they’re planning to clear deadwood, he’d be well placed from his previous time there to make the right decisions.

If it’s Chelsea - I think that’s a massive risk for him and his career. However, they’re in Europe, they’re much richer, very talented young squad - he’d be a good fit if the players respond to him. And he gets time. No guarantees there on both counts. It’s several steps up, he probably backs himself to win trophies there. And he definitely gets a second year with Hutchinson!

If it’s Brighton - I’d be more disappointed, although I see the appeal. Not sure if he’s as interested in that position. While it’s a step or two above us on the ladder, they’re not really contenders for trophies or success. Feels like it’d be another stepping stone - albeit a more stable one than ours - on his path to a top job.

Hopefully, of course, he stays with us. At least for one more year. A bumper pay rise and new contract demonstrates how much we value him (and gives us the chance to increase that compensation figure!) Next year is going to be a tough challenge - regardless who is in the dug out. I’d be much more confident we’d survive relegation with McKenna in the dug out over a new guy coming in.

He’s the real deal. The best manager we’ve had since Burley by a long stretch. Unfortunately, as others have said, clubs have picked up on his success here and it’s made him a very attractive and affordable “project” manager.

Southcoastoldgaffer and itfcptc like this.