1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Let's start it early

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Oldsparkey, May 6, 2019.

1. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

After seeing red, we're feeling blue. :emoticon-0106-cryin

Anything beats that gopping green we wear from time to time.

there are very few local owners left (unless you go way down the leagues) so fair play to Lansdown.

2. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

He is investing more around the ground hotels, multi story car park, new home for Bristol Flyers across the road,Shops the guy is leaving a dynasty in Bristol not to mention the thousands he employs in the city at Hargreaves/Lansdown.
    We have Bristol Rugby in premiership ,Bristol City woman in the premiership, we just need to get Bristol City men’s in the premiership.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  3. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

With the type of players they have (talking more about attitude here) and obviously Colin, Cardiff are already the best equipped of the 3 to go straight back up.
    Can't believe that Stoke are in the top 3 in the betting???

4. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

smh - still by no means certain that Neil will be with us next season though I'd say if he starts it, he'll probably finish it wherever we are in the table.

Lost track with you guys through last season for obvious reasons, but no real idea about your circumstances regarding owner/manager/budget/success expectations across there.

Is there a greater chance of Warnock seeing the season out with us than Johnson with you? What do you see as success this season - and probably more importantly what would be Johnson and Lansdown's view on that?

5. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I read somewhere - admittedly it could be rubbish - that because we kept within the FFP rules for the past 3 seasons, SL can splash the cash next season without fear of falling foul.
    Like I said - not a certified source but if true it could herald exciting times ahead.
    This season let’s not forget that despite our traditional ‘booms and busts’ we only missed out on the playoffs by 5 points. During that campaign we had at least 4 YES, FOUR perfectly good Weimann goals disallowed - plus a shocking refereeing debacle at Villa which, just in case our Welsh friends may dismiss as sour grapes - resulted in an official apology from the EFL and the referee concerned was demoted.
    Those 4 disallowed goals must be a record for an individual player in one season, surely?

6. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

No sour grapes from me r&w - we had enough trash refereeing this season ourselves. <ok>

Not saying it cost us relegation - that was our own fault - but it doesn't half rankle when such blatent incompetence tends to favour the "big clubs" every time. Villa are seen as "big club" in the Championship just as the top 6 elite are in the Prem - unlevel playing field is an understatement.

7. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

load of kiwi fruit with hairs on them

8. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

JG2 - you need to see a doctor pal. :emoticon-0105-wink:

It's only forum fodder - if you want something more interesting, we can discuss the price of fish. <ok>

9. bcfcredandwhite

3 out of Derby, Leeds, WBA and Villa will be favourites to go up - then you have the likes of Boro and Stoke - and Florest - all ahead of us both in the bookies pecking order methinks Sparky

10. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Aye, probably right there r&w, but in the summer of the season before last, the bookies had us down to finish 14th and you know what happened then.

A lot will depend on this transfer window for most clubs. Much clearer picture about club ambitions come August 3rd, but even after the window closes it could still all go wrong for some.

11. Shinycitylad7

Shinycitylad7 Looking at the stars mate

Ffs we've got to tolerate these welsh ****s again...

12. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Yup......I think they should be reported to your mods for wanting to talk sense.

13. Shinycitylad7

Also need reporting to the police to have their computers checked <laugh>

14. bcfcredandwhite

Sparkly, what’s your honest opinion of Reid?
    I admit - much as I loved the guy as one of our own, I thought him as being a ‘one-season-wonder’ and was pleased when you gave us £10m for him.
    Is there a £10m player in there do you think? Genuine question not a WUM - like I said, I loved him - just thought he hit his peak for us on the season before you bought him.

15. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

R&W - I really like the lad and think he's been given a very raw deal by Warnock. Most of us believe he bought him without really figuring out he'd fit into the "Warnock Way". When asked why, Warnock said he didn't see him as a striker - what the hell was he then?

He's mostly been restricted to last 10 minute cameos to influence a game when we've been behind and others are tiring. He has the sympathy and support of the vast majority who've sat through some prehistoric management decisions this season. The lad deserved a fairer crack of the whip.

To be honest, we probably paid top dollar for him, but in the inflated market up in the "stratosphere league", £10M isn't a lot of money. When you add anothe £11M paid out for Josh Murphy, that was £21M sitting on the bench most of the time - bloody ridiculous.

I wouldn't blame Bobby (or Josh) to want out now that Warnock is set to stay. They were either bad buys in the first place or under used because of the system - most of us think the latter.

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  16. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Steve Lansdown can increase spending because losses are calculated over three seasons. He made a very large loss for the 2017-18 season which will be offset by a far smaller financial loss over the last season - The financial losses will be near the ceiling of thirty nine million (past income) but not over it.

17. Shinycitylad7

I'll be honest. I knew from the second you bought him he wouldn't be great for you. Not because you'd struggle in the prem but because of who the manager was. It was such a bad move for Bobby career wise, I get the lure of prem football but your back down with us now and the tactics/style of game you play won't change under Warnock. I doubt you'll get 20 goals out of him this season unless Colin plays him in the CF position. I genuinely think had he stayed here this season, he would of been the difference and we'd of took 5th or 6th spot. We might not of got promoted but he would of been in a much stronger position to get a better move, no disrespect. Be interesting to see how he and Joe Bryan get on this year. Should both thrive and play big parts in getting their teams a top 6 finish.

18. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Strange, but I tend to agree with all that. :emoticon-0105-wink:

19. Alandicksthegreat

Alandicksthegreat Well-Known Member

Bobby Reid is a much better player than he showed for your lot Sparkey, Warnock certainly didn't get the best out of him but being a bit player you can't expect anything else, a real shame he left us but when your profile and wages double or treble you can't blame the lad.
    Should fair better in the Championship that's if he's given a fair crack of the whip, can't see that happening unless Warnock leaves.

20. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Once again - tend to agree.