1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Liverpool place some non-playing staff on furlough

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by lazarus20000, Apr 4, 2020.

1. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52165826

Liverpool place some non-playing staff on furlough

Premier League leaders Liverpool are the latest top-flight club to place some non-playing staff on temporary leave.

Staff affected will receive 80% of their salary through the government's job retention scheme and the club will make up the difference.

Newcastle, Tottenham, Bournemouth and Norwich have already announced they will furlough some non-playing staff.

The decision to furlough some non-playing staff was criticised on Twitter by former Liverpool captain Jamie Carragher.

He tweeted: "Jurgen Klopp showed compassion for all at the start of this pandemic, senior players heavily involved in Premier League players taking wage cuts. Then all that respect and goodwill is lost - poor this, LFC."

In February, the club announced they had made a pre-tax profit of £42m and increased turnover to £533m. Last year they also spent £43m on agents' fees.

Have to say that I was happy for Liverpool to win the league as they've seemingly done all the right things on and off the pitch. But furloughing some of their staff and sponging off the Goverment is unacceptable when the club and players make so much money. Disgraceful from Liverpool FC.

afcftw likes this.
  2. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

It says we are making up the difference so that's something but I agree that the club shouldn't be tapping into the UK resources when they could easily handle payments themselves.

afcftw, Zanjinho, Bumps and 2 others like this.
  3. wishiwasinliverpool

wishiwasinliverpool Well-Known Member

Mind your own beeswax, Gooner :emoticon-0172-mooni

Even if I do acknowledge it's not good to tap into public funds and it's a major misjudgement on our part

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    afcftw likes this.
  4. Bumps

Bumps Well-Known Member

Yep
    Very saddened that we have done this
    Not surprised but saddened :(
    The fact I am not surprised is fairly sobering too :(

afcftw and wishiwasinliverpool like this.
  5. O'l Gravy Leg

O'l Gravy Leg Well-Known Member

Staff will get paid mostly by the tax payer instead of a paycut for all the top brass, klopp and the players, which would be a tiny % of their combined weekly salaries to cover staff pay.

Lovely

afcftw likes this.
  6. Peej

Peej Fabio Borini Lover

in essence liverpool are paying the tax that the employees would have paid.
    If any Pl club does this with non playing staff I am shocked at each of them. Spurs to start, then Newcastle, but Liverpool?

7. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

It’s pretty grim that prem teams are doing this tbh. The smallest pay cut for the players would entirely cover the wages of the staff being furloughed but instead the government aka the people are expected to pick up the bill. The clubs doing this can go **** themselves.

8. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Disappointing move from LFC. On the other hand, first time in over 40 years that a Tory government will be sending money to Liverpool.

Let's not forget LFC top up the wages unlike Spurs etc.

And Henderson is heading an effort to get players to make donations (cutting wages also cuts taxes).

9. THE FOOL

THE FOOL Well-Known Member

I think I spotted a thing from the unions which said taking a 30% pay cut would equate to 500million, but this would also equate to a 200 million drop in tax collected which makes no sense.

The players themselves are looking at ways to contribute to the cause, at the end of the day, footballers are easy targets and this is just a stick to beat liverpool with.

As in all walks of life, some will happily give all there wages away while others with not give a ****.

10. astro

astro Well-Known Member

What's not making sense? About 40% of their salary goes to tax/NI. (As opposed to most Tory donors.)

You can't cut their salary but also ask them to still pay tax on money they don't receive.

11. THE FOOL

You've misunderstood my meaning, from the governments point if view, losing 200 million in tax is much worse than paying for staff to be furloughed.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  12. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

The excuse from the PFA is ****ing shameful. How dare they hide their greed behind a spun narrative that by continuing to take their full wages they’d be supporting the NHS. It’s an absolute ****ing disgrace.

BobbyD, Diego, Welshie and 2 others like this.
  13. THE FOOL

I doubt they will take a pay cut, but I do think something will occur. Alot of footballers are already heavily involved in charitable organisations and have schemes of their own.

What the pfa said did make sense, but was very poorly worded.

I'll be honest, as I said before going after footballers is an easy target when you could ask the richest 1% to give over a small amount of there wealth and it would help much more than them taking a pay cut.

Any amount of business have furloughed there employees, where any of the owners, executives and other top brass asked to give money to the lower paid workers. No, but what footballers get paid is obscene and they are all yobs anyway

14. astro

astro Well-Known Member

You disagree with their numbers?

15. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

If they don’t take a pay cut when the rest of the nation is facing unemployment, reduced wages (many will now be below minimum wage on furlough) and the future uncertainty and hardship this disaster will deliver in the coming months / years, then they’re an absolute ****ing disgrace.

They’re protected from being laid off due to their transfer value, and the greedy bastards are sat there on their multi million pound contracts refusing to budge and having the temerity to organise charity fundraisers - paid by normal working people ffs.

And yes football is an obvious target,primarily because of the heinous wages, but also because football is the traditional sport of the working man, and these beauts don’t give a monkeys about the fans or their clubs, who’s income is currently £0. They truly disgust me.

16. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

**** off you apologist beaut

Welshie and Peej like this.
  17. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Why do people keep saying "pay cut". Pay cut means no tax, no NI, and the club owner keeps the money. Surely it's far better (and legally easier) for them to get paid and donate money instead?

18. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

The players could take a small pay cut to cover the wages of the non-playing staff at the very least...

organic red likes this.
  19. astro

astro Well-Known Member

At LFC the non-playing staff are all receiving 100% pay anyway.

20. THE FOOL

Again I dont think this is the case, a number of players have spoken that they are working on something together, not a fund raiser but an actual strategy that will help.