1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread LIVERPOOL V TOTTENHAM

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by LuisDiazgamechanger, Apr 27, 2023.

1. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

I agree with all of this except the bolded bit. I don't accept that youngsters will learn to verbally abuse officials by watching managers do it. Learning how to express emotions usually comes from those closest to us. If you set aside the general aspect of that premise and just focus on the specific of how to express anger when watching football, don't we learn that from whoever we watch football with?

There has to be something seriously lacking in a youngster's upbringing if they are learning how to behave from a football manager. Loosely related, a child can learn how to play football by watching their favourite players and emulating their moves etc but surely learning how to express anger has already been done before a child ever watches a football match in earnest. Excessive anger has to already be in your nature and if a youngster has no such problem then they are unlikely to somehow create it to be like Pep, Klopp, Fernandes etc.

saintKlopp likes this.
  2. johnsonsbaby

I struggled to understand the 'because of him' bit. I re-watched for some clarity and I now think that Tierney must have spoken to the fourth official who has confirmed that Klopp didn't say anything to 'him' and so he's downgraded to yellow.

It's all a nothing situation really totally fabricated by Tierney. No words were said in anger (unlike on previous occasions) so Klopp has a right to say 'it's not okay what he said to me' because what was the red card going to be for?

Bumps likes this.
  3. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Because it fits his #controversialagenda

4. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Agreed. That’s the thing there may be the odd kid that used the excuse of ‘I’ve seen blah blah do it so must be fine’ but they probably are using that as an excuse for their behaviour, it doesn’t actually influence it. Kids don’t learn to punch other kids from watching stuff on tv etc, they learn behaviour from those closest to them (friends, parents, siblings). And I highly doubt a parent screaming at a ref on a Sunday morning kids game is using the ‘I saw my football manager do it on tv’ so must be ok. If they are, there are much larger issues with that person.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  5. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

They 100% do, from managers and players. Towards the end of my 11-a-side days I saw loads of modern day traits creeping in that wouldn't have happened in my younger days; diving for example, or showing pain (they role about like professionals do, my teammates would have booted me to make due of I'd don't that when younger!)

Bumps likes this.
  6. THE FOOL

THE FOOL Well-Known Member

I didnt want to say, but, well you know.

Mark Blow and Zanjinho like this.
  7. saintKlopp

No disrespect JB, but I think that's a very naive point of view. Role models are an essential part of human development and the detrimental effects of negative influences on children and adolescents are well-documented.
    Of course not everyone is the same, and as adults we can completely change an outlook that we were exposed to when younger, but it is a strong influence and shouldn't be underestimated.

BobbyD, Diego and johnsonsbaby like this.
  8. johnsonsbaby

I've already said that youngsters learn how to play (and play act) on a football pitch from watching players so we agree on that.

Manager behaviour influencing them is something entirely different. I bet if you asked any Liverpool supporter who was swearing at referees why they are doing it, none of them would say because Klopp does it. Unless you think none of them swore at referees before Klopp came. If they did swear at referees before Klopp came, who did they learn the behaviour from?

There has never been a time when football fans didn't swear or get angry at the officials. What about when football wasn't televised or there was very little newspaper coverage. Were there no fans abusing referees? Youngsters pay attention to what players do and say. I doubt very much that any are paying attention to what Klopp is doing on the sidelines.

If youngsters are swearing at officials it's the parents fault, not the managers.

InBiscanWeTrust likes this.
  9. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I don't think it matters whether it's a player or managers, kids see it and copy.

I've concerned it for years btw but did ask the tube myself when playing. I know emotions run high and it's very difficult to not do. However, it's clearly possible since they've managed it in rugby

saintKlopp likes this.
  10. Bumps

Bumps Well-Known Member

Yeah I know
    That’s what I didn’t quote but it alters nothing
    Everything is wrong with that statement

It does not matter who any of the protagonists are in the statement
    It’s just all wrong
    Like I say
    Easy now imho

11. johnsonsbaby

I acknowledge you have a different take on this to me but I don't think my take is naive at all. While I think players can have a big influence on youngsters, I seriously doubt that Klopp will have influenced one person in how to react to officials. That doesn't mean I think what he sometimes does is okay.

saintKlopp likes this.
  12. Bumps

Bumps Well-Known Member

Forgot Tierney was the ref in the Everton city game where pen should have been issued lol
    Yeah - he got no beef with us lmao

Zanjinho and johnsonsbaby like this.
  13. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

14. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

Thiago out for the rest of the season

15. saintKlopp

I think you're a decent bloke JB, but I'm not sure you realise that not everyone is as nice as you are and would like them to be.
    As to influence, it isn't just Klopp of course - I've already said it's unfair for him to be singled out when so many others behave badly - but he's a larger than life figure and harder to ignore I suppose.
    We're all shaped by our childhood influences - parents, peer groups, education and cultural imagery all have an important role to play in that.
    Those of us steeped in football culture often become blind to its excesses. Often enough in my life I've introduced new friends to the game who had no prior interest in it and they're quite shocked at the behaviour of players, managers and fans. It can seem to them that the game is played and followed by a bunch of savages and quite frankly it's not hard to see their point.
    Being high on emotion can only excuse us so far.
    As to the relationship between LFC and the media and authorities, there's no doubt that there are a lot of people who don't like us, but I don't think there's a conspiracy against us, and I don't think a bunker mentality is healthy.

16. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Lots of suggestions that Liverpool should be docked points because of Klopp's actions <laugh>

17. JB2

JB2 Active Member

In case anyone missed it - Trent kicking Richarlison’s shirt <laugh>

upload_2023-5-2_22-51-54.jpeg

18. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

19. Bumps

Bumps Well-Known Member

I don’t believe there is a conspiracy against us

what I do believe in is the way the press work

they build something up to tear it down

I just think it’s Klopps turn
    And eventually the press will win
    Whether it’s now or in two threes years time

They have done it with the likes of Steve Davis
    Like her or not Diana and way too many to mention.

it would not matter if he lays down and admits it
    Whether he argues it the press will make what they want to make
    I’m afraid the narrative looks set to me
    That’s why it won’t be said about Moyes, Mason, Pep Arteta anyone

that’s just an opinion and not meant to upset anyone

i could be bored currently pumping up 22 new balls and writing on them lmao

saintKlopp likes this.
  20. saintKlopp

I'm suitably impressed that you can pump balls, write on them and post on here simultaneously.