1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lock Down

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Redprintt, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

The 17 local area average for the Covid rate per 100k is 36.
    Across the Severn it's 45 and lock down has been relaxed.
    In a part of Leicester the rate is 280 per 100k.
    Wrexham is as close to Leicester as Bristol.

Is there a better way ?

2. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's actually 39 but I take your point.

3. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

I thought across the Severn they had more people vaccinated, so should not be so much of an issue..:emoticon-0105-wink:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  4. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I was initially, somewhat naively, supportive of the regional lockdown 'tier' system which targeted COVID 'hotspots' and released areas with low instances - for the very reason that you are raising RP, meaning only the severely areas were locked down.
    However, whilst that system might have worked in Germany where people are more disciplined, here in the UK it was not respected - people simply journeyed to the closest area which was in a lower tier - which had the OPPOSITE of the intended effect - spreading the virus wider than it would have done had their local area remained unlocked. We simply don't have the resources to police that type of system to ensure that everyone remains within their local area - selfish or ignorant people will always find a way to bend, bypass or break the rules - in fact, for some it becomes an exciting and 'naughty' challenge to try and do so.
    Having said all this, I think that given our vaccination programme seems to have been so successful and all 'vulnerables' and (willing) people over the age of 65 have been vaccinated - and these groups made up over 90% of the COVID hospital admissions (so I heard on a TV news show) then I think that keeping the country in lockdown, with all the economic and social damage it's doing, is now a disproportionate 'blunt instrument' response to what is a shrinking issue.
    Open the country up now I say - and if people who have refused the vaccine get sick with Covid then they should take their turn in the NHS treatment queue alongside Cancer and other illness sufferers (who one assumes will have been vaccinated as 'vulnerable')

5. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

I hear through the grapevine, that the vaccine centres set up will be closing down in the coming months...leaving it to GP practices & Health Centres etc....which in itself will be a huge challenge. Vaccinating the rest of society with first jab whilst giving out the 2nd jabs......this will have a massive impact, putting back regular health checks etc...IMO putting more lives at risk in the long term..