1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mac back for another crack.

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by throwoff, Jul 10, 2013.

1. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Coventry never played Cody to his strengths, often left as a lone man as Cov prefer 4-5-1. That doesn't fit in to his style of play, his 2010-11 season showed that he can be a class act with a partner and even last season with Kedwell or Burton he scored 4 in 7 games. Either way what a signing that I predicted all so long ago. I might change my name to Actually I'm Alwaysright, not how sure someone else will take it though. <whistle>

2. HOADIE_BOI

HOADIE_BOI Well-Known Member

Looks like you are thinking the same as me as that is why I said that he will do better for us as we play a different style to Coventry which suits him. He never really fitted in at Coventry due to the formation but he will at Gillingham as he has a target man next to him which is what he needs.

3. oldsparky

oldsparky Member

In my view we became far too dependent at times on hoof it up to Bayo and rely on something happening, which of course it often did.

It seemed to me that teams got wise to this tactic and some managed to stop us. To state the obvious though our issue was with not winning enough games, we often let in daft goals or failed to "park the bus"

I dont think MA will let this happen , Cody and Bayo aren't god like beings but I'd bet they will scare the poop out of a few defences! Add Kedwell (the) German and Linganzi into the mix and we may just have a special team for next season

Can't wait for some football!

Roy

4. SirKeefy

SirKeefy Member

Not quite true KPC.
    Cody played for Norwich in Div1 for the 09/10 season. 5 starts and 19 subs apps for 4 goals.
    Plus he had 25 starts and 18 subs apps for Coventry in the Championship (not div1 I know) for 8 goals. Not as bad as Coventry fans make out, particularly in a struggling team.

Personally I reckon we have have 3 potential 15+ goal strikers on our books. They won't all get more than 15 but I reckon Keds, Bayo and Cody all have the potential to.

When you add German in there, plus probable goals from Weston, Whelps and Dack I think we are pretty well set up front. If our defence/defensive midfield performs as well as last year, we might just do ok ;)

<edit> Just noticed on soccerbase that Cody scored Norwich's goal in the infamous 1-7 home defeat to Colchester. Never knew that.

5. brb

brb Guest

So why did you not want Bayo?

Agree oldsparky, I think the better mix here is Keds behind Bayo, because as I highlighted somewhere in a thread, as opposition teams become wise and counter act our game with the Bayo/Cody partnership, we will have Keds ready to counter act, while the opposition defenders are clambering to hold Bayo down. Mouth watering prospect if MA plays it how I hope.

6. HOADIE_BOI

I did not think that bringing in Bayo would be a good idea but now we have Cody as well I can see that it is a good move and I think I was wrong before in doubting the move for him.
    I think that the idea of Kedwell, Bayo and McDonald would work like you said as they would focus too much on Bayo and McDonald but then they are not going to be able to mark Kedwell as well which will mean that he will get more time on the ball and that would be very good, however which midfield do you think will work behind them as I am not sure which midfield would work. The only one that I can think of is Whelpdale, Linganzi, Dack but then this leaves out Gregory who I think is a good player.
    Anyway nice to not be able to pick a team as this shows how strong we are and I am sure we will get a good amount of goals next season.

My only thought is that if we do play a team like this is that we may be too attacking (not sure if that is a bad thing)

Nelson

Fish
    Legge
    Barrett
    Martin

Whelpdale
    Linganzi
    Dack

Kedwell

Bayo
    Cody

It does look a very good team with a mixture of different players because I think with a team like this then the defence will have their work cut out defending against us as they will mark Bayo and Cody more than the others and that will give Kedwell the freedom as well as the likes of Dack and Whelpdale who can then be creative as I feel that they will do well in League One, however will we be defensive enough without Gregory in the team. I have a feeling that Linganzi will do well though but do we still need Gregory in the team?

The good thing about this team is that it uses all 3 main strikers and then leaves us with (The) German on the bench for impact and also Birchall if he don't go and I think that either of them can slot into that position that Cody takes in the team and thrive.
    Maybe you are onto something here brb as it does get me excited, just need to make sure that Martin Allen knows that we are playing this formation next season.

7. brb

brb Guest

I don't really know the answer to midfield. I would like Martin given space on the wing, therefore that would see Weston spending time on the bench. My alternative focus is on the lads Dack and German, let us remember the big man Bayo is not going to be the answer to every game. So Dack, German, Weston with the added mix of Cody will also give us the options of instilling pace in to the side when required.

8. HOADIE_BOI

That is a good idea because then if sides come to play us and have plans of how to deal with Bayo and McDonald and then we don't play Bayo and play German and McDonald with Kedwell then that will ruin their plans and then they could have their work cut out as controlling German is going to be a lot different than controlling Bayo.
    It is good for Martin Allen as he will be able to change things around a lot and then that could cause a lot of problems for the opposition. I really like the options that we have and I for one would be happy if this was our last signing as all I think we really need is another back up or two for midfield but they could be on loan.
    I don't think that if we play this type of formation that we are talking about that Weston would fit into the midfield as I think that this midfield would have a much more central dimension and I don't see Weston playing a central position so I think that he would have to play upfront if we were to play this formation. However that will still leave us with Allen, Dack, Whelpdale, Linganzi and Gregory to choose from assuming that Lee is going to leave which will be fine, but as well as this we have some younger players that we can play such as Haysman, Hessenthaler and Grant who I believe can play central so we do have good options.

I think we may start to see more of what type of formation we may play in some of the friendlies that we have coming up against the bigger sides as Martin Allen may want to trial some different styles.

9. BSG

BSG Well-Known Member

Are you trying to out pedant me?? What is an apostrophe between friends?

10. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

You'll probably have to change your gender first.

How dare you suggest that I have friends.

Anyway - on a more serious note - it does look like that, with the players in the squad, we will have a plan B available in our matches - can't be bad.

11. Kedwell's Penalty Coach

True but the point still stands that our strike force at this level is largely inexperienced which is why I think MA may bring in another Burton type striker just to give something else

12. vinney

vinney Well-Known Member

Can't see that. If he wanted a Burton type player he'd have kept Burton