1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mags v City

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Smug in Boots, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

2-0 Really flattered City, they were on the ropes towards the end and if the game ended 1-1 it would have been a representation of the football on the pitch.

Having said that, sometimes the quality will just shine through in games no matter how hard the underdog tries, Kompany's 'last ditch tackle' is why he's considered on of the best centre halves in the world, that wasn't unlucky on Newcastle's part, that was just what they were up against. The suckerpunch was always going to come if Newcastle were serious about pushing for the equaliser.

Newcastle looked surprisingly alright, even at the back, that young kid that came on looked lively and Cabella looked good too. Colback had a solid game but I fear if Villa beat Newcastle (I think that's their next game?) then they will be in trouble this early, Pardew has nothing in his locker to recover a dip in form.

2. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Skunks talking about unfair!!!! The most unfair thing that happened over the weekends fixtures was that ludicrous penalty decision given against Sunderland which cost us two points..

3. Travelsick07

Travelsick07 Well-Known Member

I didn't think it was unfair. Tbh city looked a bit tired and didn't really look like they felt they had to come out of 3rd gear. They scored when they needed to. Otherwise they just let us play a bit.

Yeah the penalty was a joke and prolly cost your lot the game. I thought we looked ok, can't really say till we play someone our level. Yesterdays game looked like two teams from different leagues playing each other.

Yeah if we lose to Villa and don't win the game after we will be back to crisis mode again.

4. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Thought Fernando looked superb for City, won a load of balls, might be a top signing him.

5. Travelsick07

Travelsick07 Well-Known Member

Yeah, he looked imperial. I think had we had Tiote at the top of his game we could have competed yesterday, Colback was good but together with Anita ... the two of them, they don't have the physical ability to compete with the likes of Yaya, Fernando and Fernandinho. Just for height alone they were dwarved. City's team yesterday was a bunch of big guys too. While 4/5 of our midfielders were smaller than 1.75 cm.

6. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I thought, like a few have said, you were half decent, as you mention, you don't gauge yourself against the top sides, or we would be champions!

I maintain what I said before kick off Saturday, I think we can both finish top 10 this season, always a bastard to lose your first home game, but on the other side, it's an expected home blank out of the way.

I thought Dummet looked decent going forward, if a little heavy at times, he could develop over a few games.

7. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Really?

Newcastle didn't have a single shot on target and City did the minimum necessary .......... looked pretty easy to me.

8. Tel (they/them)

Newcastle will play worse than that (maybe not the shots on target stat!) and come away with a point or better. I think City just showed spirit of Champions to play crap and still win.

From a neutral point of view, the scoreline just seemed flattering to City after watching Newcastle play so well. City were worried towards the end, until that sucker punch came.

9. Smug in Boots

On the other hand this was Newcastle's opening day home fixture against the Champions.

If this was as high as they can raise their game, against a team that left top players out, then it was very average imo.

Every team has a spell where they press and this was no different, I was never worried that Newcastle would score tbh.

10. Tel (they/them)

Why would you be worried that they'd score anyway?

Few teams can produce their best stuff on the opening day, they also had their own players out as well don't forget. Pardew won't get anything out of them, I'm convinced he'll be gone in a few weeks unless they produce a string of wins to shoot and stay up the table.

Newcastle always play **** against City anyhow, few times we've watched on with invested interest and they've blown it. I bet they'd pick any other fixture to start the season with over a City game.

Just like us though, I don't feel we deserved a loss at home to Swansea... they got the result and fair play to them for their counter attacking and quick thinking, they didn't boss the game though, they were sideways and boring as usual, apart from one chance where new snail boy Gomis couldn't finish.

11. Smug in Boots

I watch every Newcastle game hoping they lose 10-0 tbh.

The closest they've come was 9-1 ........ against a team a few mile south of them iirc <laugh>

12. Tel (they/them)

Hahaha I wondered how you'd get out of that one!

Well done <laugh>

13. Smug in Boots

You little trickster Terry <ok>

I've been arranging my trip to the match for the last few days and just had a call from one of my sons who can't go.

He was unaware I was sorting out my trip, to Sunderland, because I didn't want to put pressure on him to go.

So he's arranged for other local Sunderland lads to come round for a BBQ at noon, watch the League Cup Final and then the live match.

So I'm duty bound to go round and pretend I was never intending to go .......... don't tell him will you?

All I have to do now is explain to Mr R&W who was asking if I was going ........... bloody hard work all this <doh>