1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Malky to miss out on Palace?

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Oldsparkey, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Betting has been turned around and it looks like the Palace job is going to go to Sherwood after weekend talks.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/crystal-palace/next-permanent-manager

Looking at the current Prem clubs, I'd have thought one like Palace would have been his best chance up there to manage this season, especially with Moody in residence. If that does pass him by, who up there going to be the next to be looking? West Brom and Southampton were possibilities over the summer with Pepe Mel and Pochettino departing, but both seemed to slip by Malky.

Maybe he should set his sights a little lower and accept a Championship offer if it came along. Taking another team up rather than waiting for a ready made job may be the best option for him. Strange though that clubs down here like Norwich and Leeds have been obvious opportunities this past 3 months but he doesn't seem to have figured for them either. North of the border, Celtic also seemed to pass him over.

I wonder if that half a season in the Prem has done him more harm than good.

2. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

Let's be honest Sparks football chairman are a funny breed but most are not stupid, the way he had to cow down and apologise to Tan would not have gone un-noticed.

I think he would be very lucky to get a job in the top 2 leagues but only if he don't need a reference.

3. EldonBluebird

EldonBluebird Active Member

Very perplexing as he was according to the Media the next up and coming manager about to achieve fantastic things.

There is a lot more to the apology to VT than we will ever know.

He should have been a shoe in for the Norwich job given his history with them but they gave it to Neil Adams
    Celtic gave the job to Ronnie Deila (who)
    West Brom went with Alan Irvine ??
    Southampton went with Ronald Koeman (fantastic footballer and fantastic manager)
    Palace will go with Sherwood.

So what exactly did go on to make him untouchable to other chairman ?

4. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

It's about midday and just noticed those odds on Sherwood are drifting out and Malky's are coming in - Sky were only giving 8-1 on for Sherwood earlier this morning and you could get 16's on Malky. The shortening odds on Sherwood were probably due to the article in the Telegraph this morning.

Funny old game eh?

5. EldonBluebird

Malkys odds are coming in due to certain Bluebirds putting a few quid on just so they can keep up with the pretence that VT is an evil dictator who got rid of Malky for no other reason than he wanted to.

6. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Chinese whispers, or perhaps Malaysian ones?

7. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

Malky is the best option for any side looking to get promotion from The Championship.

Best City manager of the last 20 years by an absolute mile.

8. EldonBluebird

Ha ha ha

Could be <ok>

Though the jobs that have passed him by at least 2 were perfect jobs.

9. Swamp

Swamp Well-Known Member

i thought they'd go for sherwood when the news came out. i knew malky would be touted because of the moody link but i can't see that at all. his problem is that when he left us we were teetering around the relegation zone, he did nothing to suggest he will guarantee palace don't go down, whereas someone like sherwood comes in with pedigree and will immediately command respect from the players.

realistically he's got to look to the championship for his next job, he's a proven championship manager, but hasn't yet done anything to go straight into a PL job&#8230;&#8230;<ok>

10. DaiJones

Not in my opinion by a long way, Alan Cork, Lennie Lawrence & Dave Jones done better than him without the money he had to spend and some he did not have to spend but still did.

11. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Whether you agree him being the best City manager for the past 20 years doesn't say much for the rest of them.

I liked Lennie, but let's face it, Jones was held up as the best by many and that's the measure of the others. I will agree though that he was better than the likes of Phil Neal, Hibbitt, Osman and Gould. Mackay made his name by taking our Championship side out of the division and rightly so, albeit funded by Tan. That doesn't make him automatically a Premier League manager.

The fact is that Malky is still out of a job 8 months on and there have been numerous opportunities to get back into management since then. Either something's wrong in the background, or he's overselling himself at Prem level.

Maybe some of the stuff that surrounded his dismissal from Cardiff is going to haunt him. I suspect only a very few know exactly what they are, but the fact remains that he seems to have a blot on his copy book that won't go away.

Some will suggest that the "sticking s**t" was put there by Tan and is unjustifiably causing him problems now - others will say Malky pissed on his own chips through his ineptitude and paid the price. The argument will go on.

12. DaiJones

I think who had to apologise will settle that one.

13. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

DJ - that fact seems to have been overlooked by many. Ignoring what doesn't suit your viewpoint is human nature - unfortunately, it doesn't alter the fact.

14. Hilts24

Fact - Malky Mackay achieved promotion to the PL.

The other stuff - idle gossip.

15. hampshire Blue

hampshire Blue Active Member

Can't deny the fact Hilts, Malky took us to the Premier League. With some of the most boring football we've played for years.

I remember the home game with Barnsley where we spent 90 minutes running away from them and scraped a 1 1 draw.
    Yes, Barnsley ffs not Barcelona.

16. The Exile

The Exile Member

....and 5 draws in the last 6 games, finishing top of the table with 87 points. We were lucky the teams below us also had a bad run.

17. Swamp

Swamp Well-Known Member

plus an open chequebook, you can't really compare jones and mackay as they operated on different budgets and circumstances&#8230;..

mackay is very good manager no doubt, but look at dyche getting burnley up on probably 1/3rd of our promotion winning budget. there are better managers out there, probably cheaper too&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;<ok>

18. Hilts24

No we werent.

Malkys team did what they had to to and got the job done.

Unlike his predecessor.

19. Hilts24

Hardly an open chequebook.

Marshall ,McNaughton , Hudson , Whitts , already at club.
    Taylor , Gunner , Cowie , Gestede , Helgusson all free.

Noone around a million , same as Mutch , Campbell £400k , Maynard £2m and Kim around the same. Connolly - £500k., Turner £750k

Malky rebuilt a club in a shambles after a gamble on expensive loans and players contract expiring failed.

What he achieved in 24 months was unbelievable.

Dave Jones also had a sizeable budget. Certainly far bigger than the Blackpool side who done us in the play offs.

20. taffthefish

taffthefish Well-Known Member

Hilts, you know I disagree with you on DJ. Malky had a fantastic opportunity to become a legend by taking us into the premier league and build his reputation. Instead he played politics and paid the price.
    He got us promoted on the second lowest points total for champions playing crap football. Our form toward the end of the promotion season was relegation form. Would you be sing to the same tune if he remained in place and had the same form toward the end of the season?