1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Man Utd vs Villa - You shall not pass!

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Treble, Dec 26, 2023.

1. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

At least he will now have more goals than McTominay lol

2. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Also shows that perhaps Ten Hag should've played him on the right weeks ago.

I really don't think he should've made these subs btw.

3. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

We have to take all three points at this point. At least one would hope…

4. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Just throw anything at the wall and hope one sticks. I don’t think there’s much method to how we play these days. We are living on the edge psychologically hoping to see the light of day.

5. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I've been a reverse jinx king today <laugh>

Hojlund breaks his PL cherry!

Diego likes this.
  6. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Told you all we always play better kicking to Stretty end second half <laugh>

**** knows how Rashford can be the widest man looking across the full width of the pitch and be 5 yards off-side so often, that said Brono was almost as bad.

Observation, Bruno should never in this World be a captain, first one to start shaking his head then dropping it and waving his arms.

Only captain in this squad is Martinez but unfortunately he is out.

cytrax likes this.
  7. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Excellent 2nd half performance.

I can't see Eriksen playing 90 mins every game but fck me keep that same starting 11 and bring in Shaw, that's it!

Diego likes this.
  8. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I think today showed good man management of Rashford by Ten Hag over the past 3/4 weeks. Credit where it's due.

He's then brought him back, played him on the left and put Garnacho on the right to show confidence in him.

Rashford responds by running his arse off, playing and linking up well and actually started to look like he was enjoying himself.

Early days but today he was very good.

Diego likes this.
  9. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

A genuine game of two halves!

Makes a nice change the positivity second half, if the first half is on Ten Hag then so is the improvement in the second.

cytrax and Diego like this.
  10. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

There's still half the first choice team still missing,
    I genuinely believe the intention is that we would be playing 4 3 3 and not this 4 2 3 1 bollocks.

The 1st eleven, for me, should be;

Onana (roll on the Afcon when we might get a glimpse of Bandiyir to see what he's like. Or even looks like!)
    AWB
    Varane
    Martinez
    Shaw
    Casemiro (Mainoo longer term)
    Mount (right of a midfield three)
    Fernandes (left)
    Rashford (left of a front three)
    Antony (or Garnacho, right)
    Hojlund

He's never been able to play that side.

I'm not making excuses, I'm just pointing out this truth.

Maguire, Dalot, Evans, McTominay, Amrabat, Eriksen, Martial should not be anything other than members of the squad sat on the (admittedly strong) bench, yet they've been having to be 1st team players most of the season.

11. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I think we're still a month away from seeing that but yeh goes without saying we need Martinez and Casemiro back.

Mount to give us options and find a system that works with him and Bruno in the side. Eriksen though is a great midfielder and would be my first choice, it's just a shame he doesn't have the legs anymore as well as his health issues.

12. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Also as much as I like Hojlund and want him to succeed, I think we need another striker as well, a more direct number 9.

13. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Oh yeah, agree on both points.

Eriksen is a top player but he's never going to be a first choice 90 mins player, he's just can't do that anymore and is not the future.
    Mount should be. Needs to get fit and we can see where he's at.

I think Hojlund is a 9, he needs a Mark Hughes or a Dwight Yorke to help him out.

This is a strong squad, or should be, but at no point this season has the first eleven all been on the pitch at the same time.

14. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

We can’t keep talking about injuries, Chief. Injuries are effectively part of the game.

We are flushed with resources at this club. The notion that somehow the players that start any of games throughout the season should be deemed not good against at least 17 of the twenty teams is just plain ridiculous.

We have scored 21 goals this season. The least of all the twenty teams in the league. Like seriously wtf?! Is that really because of injuries? Absolutely not! It is simply because we don’t know how to get the most out of our players and we don’t know how to keep them motivated, which is where the manager has been failing. End of! We also need to question why we get so many injuries. This may the result of the method that ETH is using which again brings it back to training and game strategy.

15. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

It's not the odd injury, it's the whole back four ,or the whole midfield, all at the same time.

It's not a basic as you try to make it sound, at all.

To form a team you need consistency of availability, and therefore selection.
    At no stage during this whole season has either the back four or midfield been fully fit at the same time.

Diego likes this.
  16. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

You're a very patient man <laugh>

17. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

But Chief, which recent season have we had a consistent back four? Besides, we can’t explain the lack of goal by simply saying that the manager has never been able to play his first eleven. I’m not even convinced that he knows what that eleven is at this time. And to think that that only Sheffield United has scored less goals than us is something that is hard to understand and I don’t think it has anything to do with injuries. It points to a terrible setup, training, and methods that all need to change.

18. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Last season; when Martinez, Varane and Shaw all played together regularly and we came third at ten Hags first attempt. Feel free to correct me, but have those three all played together this season?

Have Mount, Casemiro and Bruno?

And I'm pretty sure, when everyone is fit, then a preferred first team will suddenly appear.

That's how it works like.

I don't even believe this is a preferred formation, it's just having to cobble one together as there are always 2 or 3 players missing.

It's not far off everyone being available though.

cytrax and Diego like this.
  19. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Casimero, great reader of the game who often cuts passes out without having to tackle. Good on the ball and is capable of some great passing, also has a nice nack of pointing to where he want's the ball at free kicks and getting his head to it

Matrinez/Maguire, very good defenders who are capable of making some great long passes out of defence as well as carrying the ball forward into midfield (or further) to start attacks.

Shaw, very good left back whilst also acting as an auxiliary winger and linking up with Rashford to great affect (also gets into the oppo area).

Mount, not yet had a chance to see where/how he fits in but at very least will be a good alternative to Bruno or work alongside him.

These are players who as a set change the whole dynamic of the team and the way we start/build attacks and to think we don't/shouldn't miss that many when all out together is foolish.

Chief likes this.
  20. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Playing Garnacho on the right made all the difference. Sulky Rashford got to play on the left, and it also showed Antony to be a complete ****wit.

cytrax likes this.