1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Managerial Perspective

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Le Tissier's Laces, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Just trying to think clearly amongst the clamour for a moment. Have a look at the managers through the league. Who there hasn't had hard times, been questioned, been criticised? Who do you think really is "better than Ron" right now? Let's check them out then let's reevaluate the criticism RK is getting, please.

1 - Ranieri - widely castigated during his time at Chelsea and had the mick taken as 'the tinker man'. Sacked.
    2 - Wenger - has been MASSIVELY criticised by Arsenal fans over the last two seasons with a lot of them saying he's lost it and should be sacked/have been sacked.
    3 - Pellegrini - never really seen as "good enough" by the majority of City fans
    4 - Pochettino - sacked by Espanyol. Whined at on here as 'stubborn and not having a plan B'. (You might just notice he's a pretty damn good coach by the way)
    5 - Van Gaal - you'll find very few United fans that don't want him out right now.
    6 - Pardew - One and a half season wonder. Pretty much everywhere he's been.
    7 - Flores - Doing a great job in that "first season back in the Prem" kinda way. Would you swap him for Ron right now? Or is he a flash in the pan.
    8 - Bilic - Again, doing a great job and has bought well. Probably considered "unproven" as yet in the Premiership though.
    9 - Klopp - reputed to be one of the best managers in world football. So far this season his stats are identical to Brenda. Still, a good manager, no doubt.
    10 - Martinez - dodgy second season where many fans were moaning and wanted him out (sound familiar?)
    11 - Hughes - another doing a great job this season, but was disliked as stodgy when he went to Stoke, and sacked by City.
    12 - Well, we know about this one.
    13 - Pulis - stodgy long ball football. Effective, but would you want him?
    14 - Howe - doing a great job. Many people's pick for when/if Ron leaves. But failed outside of Bournemouth so far. Pretty badly.
    15 - Mourinho (since yesterday) - the best manager in world football. A trophy machine. Sacked.
    16 - Neil - doing a decent job at Norwich, but unproven.
    17 - McLaren - laughed at as England manager, okay at Derby, hopeless so far at Newcastle
    18 - Monk (since last week) great first season, crap second season. Sacked.
    19 - Allardyce - well, he'll save you from relegation.
    20 - Garde - The impossible job.

My point being, there's not a manager out there that's not had a hard time, or is likely to come across one. All this talk of "how much longer should Ron be given" is so bloody previous. He's having a hard time right now, but as Fats says, unless there's complete discord behind the scene, it's a lack of confidence issue. Stop reaching for the nuclear button at the first sign of trouble.

2. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

Well said that man!

3. TBD

TBD Active Member

Good analysis, but let's be honest it's clear RK is the man and we'd be lucky to keep him untill the end of contract. We live in a world which demands constant and instant success and stability is often forgotten about. However we have a very good and well respected manager and we'd do well to have a more stable period after lots of change in the club in the last few years.

lamby likes this.
  4. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. Is this the sane thread? I think I'd better keep off the other one.

5. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

I'm liking this one.

6. Toss saints

Toss saints Well-Known Member

I see very few people calling got Ron's head, but to be slightly more open minded in his selection, when his favourites are not doing it for him at the moment

7. Le Tissier's Laces

No, I hear you and agree. I just thought it was interesting looking down the list and taking everything into consideration.

Toss saints likes this.
  8. Le Tissier's Laces

Interesting point about favourites too. All people, all managers, in all walks of life have people they trust more than others, and who they are more inclined to give longer chances to than others. That's just human nature and we shouldn't castigate him too much for that. There are usually good reasons.

9. Toss saints

Toss saints Well-Known Member

I agree, but as a fan you get frustrated when YOUR favourite does not play and in your own view you are right and justified by others poor performances, hence the fun of the supporter

10. Shepherd's Clearing

Shepherd's Clearing Well-Known Member

That's a well-considered and thought out post but just being Devil's Advocate, when would you sack a manager?

Looking at your point-of-view from another angle you could say that no manager should ever be sacked for team performance and the trouble is once the house is engulfed in flames it is too late to put it out.

11. Le Tissier's Laces

I think Ronald deserves this season, and probably next. The time to sack a manager, as with Mourinho, is when the players have patently lost trust in them and stop playing for them.

12. Shepherd's Clearing

Shepherd's Clearing Well-Known Member

The trouble is I think Chelsea can get away with that because if the little gob-sh**s are now happy they will beat a lot of teams.

With Saints it will be too late to turn it around as our current squad is not good enough - and more than one probably wants to leave.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  13. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

I think that losing to Spurs/Arsenal won't prove anything. It's the games after that which count. If we struggle for the five games after that, I would seriously consider it. Although my honest opinion is that as bad as Koeman's selections have been, we have no serious options to replace underperforming players as we have sold every player worth money.

14. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

May be controversial, but IMO now is the time to offer RK a contract extension. IF he agreed, it would show confidence in him for the longer term and he would show confidence in Saints. However, we are not privy to what is going on behind the scenes....perhaps there are other issues...personality problems, Ron being unhappy with future plans etc.

15. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

One other thing to remember is that as well as being better than they are showing, this team is still learning how to play together. There's no consistency in the midfield as they are all strangers. Wanyama, Cork and Davis had all slotted into a settled, well-drilled team when they arrived. They had Morgan there who dictated games and therefore took the pressure off of them.
    This season's recruits have had to come in and be thrown at the deep end without the same leadership.
    We always said we were playing better than the sum of our parts due to the team being so well drilled - well now Big Ron needs time to drill the new guys.

16. Bill Hill

Bill Hill Well-Known Member

Do we adopt the same approach to managers as players i.e. bring in the next best manager available outside the top 4 knowing if successful they will likely move on. Happened with Poch and will happen with koeman unless we match his ambition. It's bad enough having to rotate players every summer but you cannot do the same with the manager too and expect any sort of stability.

My point is koeman is in year 2 of a 3 year contract I think. It has to be extended or he has to leave else we tread water at best with everyone knowing he is off at the end of next season.

We need to find the right manager to see out a 5 year plan minimum - hopefully that is koeman, if not it was an error going for him in the first place.

17. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Has anyone known RK to stay beyond his initial contract?

18. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Well-Known Member

A different manager won't stop our best players leaving at the end of every season. As far as I know RK never planned on sticking around beyond his contract?

19. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Who are the punters who would be interested in Saints best players, and which players are likely to be snapped. I can think of Mane beyond that I cannot see a rush of teams wanting to take anyone else.

20. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

Give RonKo the tools to do the job and he will do it, short change him and even he will not be able to produce another miracle.

Schrodinger's Cat likes this.