1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Mark Robinson/England Women's Cricket#

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Howden Tigress, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

Deep breaths my friend.

2. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Have you got me on ignore?

3. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

I'd go with that. Makes sense to be honest.

4. Is Vic there?

Is Vic there? Top Tipster

I was at Grammar with Mark and Nick and caught the same bus to school each morning on Endike. I think they both played for City Boys from junior school and I was actually in a careers lesson when NB was asked what he intended to do when he left school, "a professional footballer ", the teacher wasn't too impressed, I was, he was a good lad, never was a show off.
    Mark was also a quiet lad who had obvious sporting talents. But he wasn't the best cricketer in my opinion, there was a lad called Robbo who was great, but he wasn't interested, just liked having a laugh, didn't take it at all seriously. I say this because he was, and still is my best mate 37yrs later.

Howden Tigress likes this.
  5. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

Iv'e got you on ignore.

6. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

I don't blame you. I would too if I knew how.

Howden Tigress and Kempton like this.
  7. spesupersydera

spesupersydera Well-Known Member

My wife has me on ignore <laugh>

Kempton and Howden Tigress like this.
  8. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

Another outstanding achievement by a ladies sports team. Also snatching victory from the jaws of defeat is hugely impressive.

Quite a few of our lady teams are doing brilliantly too. Long may it continue.

Be good to see more of them recognised at the SPOTY awards too.

Cdtiger1 and Howden Tigress like this.
  9. Mister Slush

Mister Slush Active Member

Mark was one of the first people we interviewed for 'From Hull To Eternity' fanzine, in 1991. Had just broken into Yorkshire's first team then I think? And yes, he was/is a big City fan.

Howden Tigress likes this.
  10. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

No. But I am apparently not getting notifications to all replies to threads I have been on.

11. Barchullona

Ok, here you are. Oh, sorry, I misread your post...

please log in to view this image

12. RichardG

RichardG Well-Known Member

He'd started out at Northamptonshire and then came to Yorkshire after that (then Sussex, where he ended up as coach). He held - and possibly still holds - the world record for the highest number of consecutive innings without scoring a run. He also took me to my first ever Hull City game with his dad when I was eight. His mum taught me at Fifth Ave Primary and was always playfully mocking my weekend diary entries because they revolved around Hull FC (who my dad would take me to see every other Sunday). After a few weeks of this her husband and son (Mark) turned up at our house one Saturday lunchtime to tell me and my parents they were taking me to City. We beat Peterborough 4-1 in October 1982 in what was one of David Seaman's first ever games. I was hooked and have never looked back. Truly wonderful teachers - which is what Mark's mum was, and I was to have plenty more at Fifth Ave Primary and then Endike Juniors - can influence your life forever in multiple different ways.

Last year I interviewed Mark for my book about City (I've been interviewing a handful of the better-known fans along the way). He was on tour with the England womens cricket team and invited me to their hotel in Chelmsford to do the interview. It was lovely to be able to thank him for setting me off on the City-supporting journey. It was more than a bit distracting, however, trying to focus on the interview when several young female athletes were sat around us watching the Wales v Portugal semi-final in their pyjamas! There didn't seem to be an oversized ego among them though. Each one was polite, friendly, humble. Mark's job has caused him to miss a few games over the years, understandably, but he remains a massive City fan and a huge advocate for all things Hull. He's a terrific bloke too. I couldn't be happier for him or the rest of the team.

13. Barchullona

Great story.

RichardG likes this.
  14. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Great story Rich.
    Can I ask what teachers at Endike influenced you, been an ex Endike lad myself, though some of mine will have gone by the time you were there.

15. RichardG

RichardG Well-Known Member

Thanks Chazz. And yes indeed. Mrs Robinson and Mr Darley were terrific at Fifth Ave, but Endike was an amazing school. Mr Coates and Mr Banks seemed to give the place its energy and ethos, but the likes of headteacher Mr Wollaston (who left while I was there), Mr Capes, Mr Tidyman (the infamous Raggy), Mrs Doran, Mr Connell, Miss Franks and various others were great with me, even though they were continually telling me to get my hair cut. Looking back, they had a point. (Incidentally, I know the first names of all of these teachers, yet still, 30-odd years later, it feels disrespectful to use them.)

From what I can gather, Endike was a very good school for a long while - 60s/70s/80s certainly. While I had good teachers at other schools who I'll always be in debt to, the whole of Endike Junior School has something special. I feel very lucky to have gone there when I did.

Chazz Rheinhold likes this.
  16. Chazz Rheinhold

Amen to that last line.
    Wollaston was great. So too Banksy. Never got on with coatesy tho. Seem to remember it was cos he was supposed to takeover our football team but we all refused and kept Steve graham and Fred cowell for the whole 4 years.
    Connell was good too. I'd forgotten mrs doran.
    Some of the older ones may have gone by the time you,went there.
    Abraham, Hewson, sapper Duncan, shearer.

I'll never forget getting a lift to a football match after school by Hewson, who was this scary science teacher who we thought didn't care about football.
    As he dropped us off at Longhill his parting words were, remember we are Endike we don't lose. Never forgot that.
    We won

17. Barchullona

Never went to Endike, or any school in Hull for that matter,but the name FredCowell rings a bell with regards to football for some reason.

18. Chazz Rheinhold

Scout for City. He retired a few years ago from it. Been associated with the club for about fifty years.

A mate saw him a few months ago and he still had his flat cap and long overcoat on. He must be 90 now but still getting around.

19. Barchullona

Cheers, that will be it. I think Dick Lexic mentioned him to me years ago with regards to City for some reason.

20. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

RichardG and Chazz Rheinhold like this.