1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Match Chat

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by 2whitestripes, Oct 17, 2020.

1. 2whitestripes

2whitestripes Well-Known Member

Indeed, and the threat of loosing some key players.............

2. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

After giving an early goal away (which from where I sat looked offside) it looked ominous. But full credit to all the Players who stuck to the plan and we got back into the game with some neat passing and moving the ball quicker into forward positions for Raul to either hold it up or to the wings to stretch their fullbacks.
    The back 4 were immense along with Palhinha they protected Leno from really having much to do. Glad Willian was back which allowed Iwobi to patrol Central Midfield and break lines and along with Cairney create telling passes.
    Good to get a win like this and erase the poor performances against Burnley and Bournemouth.

2whitestripes and Fulham COYW like this.
  3. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

Happy New year to all. Yesterday's game was unbelievable and fully deserved. It just shows how we missed Willian and Raul.

I started the game thinking a draw would be good and even more so after they scored after 5 mins. I must admit I too thought it was offside but fair play. Bassey was my MOTM but really the whole team did so well. I wasn't sure about him after his first few games with a couple of stray passes leading to goals but credit to Silva and the coaching staff he's fitted in now so well, unfortunately we are going to lose him for the African Nations tournament - also it was his birthday so what a day for him.

4. Super Brian McBride

FA Cup Game against Rotherham United being played on Friday 5 Jan because of London clubs all being drawn at Home in draw.
    Rotherham have found a bit of form in recent weeks against good opposition, so it will depend on what team they put out.
    I expect Marco Silva will make changes to the team and give squad players a chance to shine. Rodak in goal against his old loan club ?
    Would be nice to have a cup run and the weather may play a big part if it is wet and blustery.

5. Super Brian McBride

Rotherham was fairly easy game, didn't really need to overstretch to win. Now get Newcastle at Home in the next round.
    The league cup 1st leg starts a run of tough matches, but a least we get to have some breaks.
    Liverpool is going to be tough, IMO it will be down to the Ref we get, as now without VAR the Liverpool crowd will try to intimidate, so with our history, a sending off will not help us, or the way Liverpool seem to practice falling over in the area could be our downfall.
    Let's hope to keep it close for the 2nd leg, Liverpool have injury problems, but we are missing two key players in Iwobi & Bassey, Diop & Pereira will probably replace them with Reed taking Cairney place for the away leg, Raul up front for Muniz, shame we haven't Adama back to run them ragged as a late sub.

2whitestripes and Fulham COYW like this.
  6. Fulham COYW

The Rotherham game was a bit boring I felt. Relying on Muniz or Vinicius for a goal is torture. I am though excited for tonight and hope we are still in the tie at the end of game. I think despite their injuries the Liverpool fans are over confident. I'm so looking forward to this, do we hold back and keep the score positive for second leg or go for it and take advantage of their injury list ? - will be interesting to see.

2whitestripes likes this.
  7. Fulham COYW

Disciplined and good shift put in. Tie well and truly still alive - only half time ! Could have been better but would have taken just a 1 nil deficit beforehand. We can do this.

8. 2whitestripes

I'm coming down for this one, the Cottage should be shaking!

Fulham COYW likes this.
  9. Fulham COYW

Well it wasn't to be. The early Liverpool goal was crucial. Had we scored first I'm sure it would have been a different story. We did well but nervously gave the ball away far too much and it was only in the last 20 mins that we came alive. Proud that we got as far as we did.

10. 2whitestripes

Liverpool's 2 deflected goals made the difference, although their high press is quite remarkable.
    A great game overall, and so pleased to have been in the Hammy End for it.
    The atmosphere was brilliant, not that the Sky audio picked up too much, with their mics adjacent to the away support, as usual.
    Newcastle is going to be a tough one so soon after.............

11. Super Brian McBride

Very sloppy with our passing in the first half and in games like these we need to take our chances, like the one Palhinha had from the corner in the 1st half.
    Atmosphere was so good I couldn't hear the Liverpool fans for most of the game.
    It's been reported that people were stuck outside queuing to get in 15 minutes after kick-off as printed & Mobile Q-codes failed to scan properly causing delays, I got there about 7.20pm and only 3 people in front of me, but one had a q-code ticket that didn't scan and had to come out again, if you multiply that by hundreds trying to get in nearer KO time, that will have caused the delay. I had a standard ticket for my normal season ticket seat and that scanned perfectly.

12. 2whitestripes

Mrs 2WS and I were in a queue of at least 20, very crowded outside, but we all filtered through okay, other than a guy putting the ticket in upside down, they live amongst us...............

13. Fulham COYW

You can make the same comments about both the Newcastle and Everton game - played well but with no threat up front. Why we haven't brought in a striker and just don't know. I hear Raul may be out for a bit so there are to be few goals scored for the near future.

14. Fulham COYW

Funny game today. Fulham wel on top in the first half but a nervy 2nd. The timing of the 3rd goal was crucial. Great to see Muniz score a brace. He's gained the confidence that was needed.

15. Super Brian McBride

A real confidence booster at Old Trafford. It looked like in the 89th min we'd blown 3 points but then a Fergie time winner gives us 3 points.
    It has to be the same starting line up against a Brighton team who have lost a few players but will still be a tough opposition to beat.

16. 2whitestripes

3 -0, we're on form. Muniz is leading the line and playing well, as is the rest, and hopefully the beginning of a strong finish to the season.

Super Brian McBride likes this.
  17. Fulham COYW

It's been an incredible turnaround for young Muniz. It was almost at the stage where we had given him as much a chance as we could but it was not working - then suddenly we're on a roll. Silva saw something and fair play kept giving him chances. It's been a transformation and I'm so pleased for him, confidence is everything.

18. Super Brian McBride

With Raul Jimenez coming back to training, it means we have a full squad to chose from for the game at Wolves, may be for the first time this season, so should have a strong bench.
    Wolves have a few injuries, but should still be a an even game I'd hope to pick up a point or 3 to keep our run going.
    Big question is does Marco bring back Palhinha or stick with Reed & Lukic and a winning team ?

19. Fulham COYW

Yes, the Palhinha situation is a conundrum. Lukic had a very good game v Man Utd and did well v Brighton. He's been unhappy with the lack of games and given his chance he's performed. Reed is just all round hard grafter. If Palhinha starts to be dropped it will be a good indication of what will happen in the Summer. I'm thinking we'll get another win on the counter, Traore with the winner !

20. Fulham COYW

Well, 3-Nil v Spurs, such a great performance and result. I always think its strange what fans think after a win or a loss. If you read reports from Spurs fans it was the worst they have played all season, everyone under performed, just a terrible performance. Well I don't know, I think Fulham had something to do with it and just played better and took a few of our chances.

On our day we've proved we can beat anyone. We just need to work on the games against teams like Burnley, Chelsea and Sheffield Utd for our league position to reflect how good the team actually is.