1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Match Chat

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by 2whitestripes, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

Superb display by Fulham, by every player. Marco got his tactics spot on. Yes the Spurs fans are trying to play it down, may be it will knock some of the arrogance out of them, as I live in North London and a have to put up Spurs & Arsenal and a lot are always condescending towards little old Fulham, expecting 6 points off us, it's nice to have a season like this, beginning to get some respect

Fulham COYW likes this.
  2. 2whitestripes

2whitestripes Well-Known Member

As Marco keeps saying, "consistency".
    3 wins in the last 4 and all games against sides above us in the league, says a lot about how good we actually are.

Fulham COYW likes this.
  3. Super Brian McBride

Sheffield United was a bit of a roller coaster, but follow that with the Forest 1st half, both were disappointing.
    Think it's what we have to expect with the tactics that Marco Silva employs. It's risk football, that we will dominate a game by overloading the attack, that leaves our defence venerable to breakaway attacks and chasing a game.
    The Forest game, obviously the 3 subs on 33 minutes was an interesting twist, but again our risk football left the defence exposed.
    Need to recover from these games again against Newcastle, it will be interesting to see what changes Marco will make.

2whitestripes likes this.
  4. Super Brian McBride

Bit of an erratic game against Newcastle, should have been well ahead at half time, but again 2nd half gave away a sloppy goal to lose the points.

Needed the pick up that the West Ham game gave us. Again a match in which we had less possession but created the better chances and were well worth our win.
    Liverpool next Sunday will need all our fighting spirit to get some points from the game, we've been really unlucky in the games we've played against them this season so far, so let's hope that changes.

5. Super Brian McBride

Bit of a disappointing performance against Liverpool. Kept giving the ball away in our own half and inviting pressure.
    Having said that I didn't think Liverpool were great and if the whole team had been more aggressive then we had a chance to beat them as on the few occasions we got into their box they panicked. Willian not playing was a big miss.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
    Fulham COYW likes this.
  6. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

Agreed we weren't at the races v Liverpool. Everton showed how it is done. Hope me recommence with a good performance v Place who are buzzing at the moment.

7. Super Brian McBride

Palace was another game where we couldn't deal with a high press against us in the 1st half.
    It didn't help that Diop took a while to find his confidence and bed himself in.
    See we employed the injured goalie trick to get a team talk on the touchline and that seemed to settle us a bit.
    The only real excitement in the game were the two goals in a game that was fairly dull.

8. Fulham COYW

Yes I thought it a bit dull. We certainly didn't play well in the first half and got our goal in a brief period of good play. My friend at the end of the game said he really enjoyed the game saying it was a real end to end hard fought game. If we play like that against Man city we will get mullered.

I still think though we should be starting with Cairney. We lost the midfield play again v Palace which has been our strength I would say this season and gave the ball away far too easily.

Pleased though with the season ticket price next season. I was expecting a much higher hike.

9. Super Brian McBride

Very disappointing against City. City deservedly winning but too easily as Fulham kept giving the ball away with very little to show in terms of shots on goal.
    I didn't like the performance of Anthony Taylor would allowed the likes of Haaland and Rodri to batter into Fulham players yet gave freekicks to City when our players tried to get stuck in. Fulham did well in the 1st half keeping De Bruyne and Haaland quiet but failed to to put in a tackle on Gvardiol for the 1st goal. After Fulham's only real effort from Muniz had been kept out in the 2nd half, the ball fell kindly for Foden for the second after Robinson had missed a through ball to Silva that left him free to pass to Foden who had no one closing him down, and after that 2nd goal Fulham gave up and had no real fight in them.
    A nice tribute to Viv Busby at the beginning of the game and farewell to Boa Morte, as he leaves to coach Guinea - Bissua, on his walk around the ground in the players parade after the game were the highlights of the day.

Now to see what changes are made during the summer.

Fulham COYW likes this.
  10. Fulham COYW

Went to the final game today v Luton. Thoroughly enjoyed the game. Quite a few changes and apart from a 20 minute spell in the first half we were in control of the game. I love old Luton's ground, so much charm. The bar in the ground is a real throw back to the 1970s but have to say efficient. Very impressed with the Luton fans also - loud and supported their team throughout.

Supporters gave Boa Morte and great send off at the end. All the players gave their shirts to youngsters. I saw one 8 or 9 year old youngster on the way home beaming and just so excited he had Tom Cairney's shirt - a day he will always remember.

Super Brian McBride likes this.

11. Super Brian McBride

It was good to have an end of season victory going into the summer break, gives everyone a boost.
    Let's hope this summer doesn't have the late drama of us losing key players and talk of our manager being poached.
    I'd like to see us bring at least 2 CBs before pre-season games so they can be bedded in, as I believe Centre-back is a position where partnerships are needed to be forged to have a stable defence.

Fulham COYW likes this.