1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match thread and prediction - Ipswich v Barnsley

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by stretchyboy, Aug 1, 2016.

1. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Right, lets get the ball rolling with the first of this seasons Match threads and predictions.

It will be interesting to see the team Mick puts out for the first game. This will usually be Micks preferred starting eleven for the season, bar any injuries. For the first time in a while it looks like we'll have no injuries at all (assuming Hyam and Pitman are fit, which were told they will be) - and also assuming we don't sign anyone that'll go straight into the first 11.

There could be a few quandaries for Mick this year.
    First one will be who will be our No.1. Judging by pre-season, it looks like Bart has the jersey - lets see how long he can hold onto for.
    Next, will Webster get a chance, and if so, will it be Smith or Berra that gets dropped. Personally, I would drop Berra and start both Smith n Webster, but doubt that will happen, and therefore will be the usual back four to start.

Next is midfield - we all know that Skuse will be the first name on the team sheet, so who will partner him in the middle? You have Douglas, Hyam, Bru, Bishop and even Dozzell (i'll dismiss Stewart, as will be extremely unlikely he'll start). My money is on Hyam and Bishop, with Sears having his customary deep role.

Up top, that leaves 2 out Murphy, McG and Pitman - assuming McG is fit, then it'll obviously be him and Murphy, with Pitman again being the super sub.

I think Mick will try and change our style of play to a more possession game, but unfortunately that means we could be seeing a lot of 0-0's, 1-0's and 1-1's...

I'll stick my neck out and go for an uninspiring 1-0 win, with a McG early penalty.

Nuggets likes this.
  2. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Bart
    Chambo | Smith | Berra | Jonas
    Bish | Douglas | Skuse | Stewart
    Sears | Murph

A 2-1 win with new boy Ward coming off the bench to set up Pitman for a late winner after Barnsley cancel out Murphy's opener

3. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

2-0 Town.
    Sears and Bishop.

4. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Bart

Chambers (grrrr)
    Smith
    Berra
    Knudsen (grrrr)

Bishop
    Bru
    Skuse
    Stewart

Sears
    Murphy

I would go

Bart

Emmanuel
    Webster
    Smith
    Kenlock

Ward
    Bish
    Skuse
    Stewart

Sears
    Murphy

Obviously it all depends how fit Ward is and who else comes in before Sat. I think we will win comfortably!

San Diego likes this.
  5. Spanish

Back in UK in Oct for 50th wedding anniversary, guess what fecking week it is?

6. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Congratulations your Mrs must be a very patient lady......<cheers>

7. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Interesting how people have picked Stewart?! I'd be absolutely gobsmacked if he's in the 18 Saturday. That said, Dozzell / Kenlock are playing for the U21s tonight which perhaps indicates they may be getting game time in the cup game Tuesday and not the league one. Perhaps reading too much into it.

Line up -

Bart / Chambers / Knudsen / Berra / Webster / Bishop / Skuse / Bru / Douglas / Sears / Murphy

SUBJECT TO CHANGE as I have a feeling we will have one or two more in for the game!

I don't think McGoldrick is fit enough yet to play from the off. Perhaps Pitman. Apparently the new lad Ward not yet fit so he may have to make do with a place on the bench. Not a Douglas fan but think Mick may opt for a narrow midfield for this game.

Scoreline, not sure. We've had a very underwhelming pre season and Barnsley have been flying since last Christmas. I can see us trying to get the ball down more and not being at all fluid in this one. Perhaps nervous and not wanting to get off to a losing start. 1-1.

Nuggets likes this.
  8. Spanish

Feck me weighty, I'm only 46, it's the outlaws anniversary and we are back for the party! Mine is 20yrs in Sept

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  9. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, and we're nearing the start of a brand new season ... in the Championship ... again.

As far as pre seasons go, it has seemed fairly uneventful, with a lack of signings and no big departures. The most prominent concern has been our failure to beat sides like Barnet, Cambridge, Charlton, and Royale Union Saint-Gilloise, which is fairly worrying. The lack of goals has also been odd, considering we usually hit the target frequently against weaker opposition. Then again, it is pre-season, it really counts from here on out!

We've not seen many signings, although Webster and Ward both look promising. The fact we're spending money again shows that there is at least some kind of ambition from the board, and an acknowledgement that you have to spend a bit of cash in this division. I don't think we could have got away with another summer of loanees and freebies.

It's also good to see a few youngsters being blooded and given their opportunity, even if the cynic in me thinks that comes down to a lack of squad depth. The likes of Emmanuel, Kenlock, Dozell, and McDonnell should be able to get some minutes under their belts and hopefully make an impression.

We might have more signings coming in. I still think we need a right back and another winger. Lamah and/or Kaikai would be nice, and yes, I'd happily take both for the numbers out wide, which we sorely lack.

As for the season, I'll make a preliminary prediction of a high mid-table position (9th or 10th). It's a competitive league and I'm still unsure if we have the talent, consistency, and adaptable style of play to ensure we remain competitive over 46 matches. Some would say that's being unambitious, others would argue it's probably on par with what we can expect from this squad. I hope to be proved wrong and we can finish in the top six, I just can't see it happening this campaign.

Nonetheless, my heart thinks we can hit form and that McCarthy shows a willingness to play a more adventurous, attacking style of football that yielded such a strong start this time last year.

Regarding Barnsley, I think we'll scrape a 2-1 victory, McGoldrick and Sears to get on the score sheet.

COYB

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  10. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Very considered and intelligent assessment Nuggets.
    I'm afraid I can't get any enthusiasm for the prospects this Season,whilst I have renewed my Season Ticket again I will pick and choose what other games I attend,probably give Stevenage a miss!
    As for predictions of the scores, afraid I can't even be bothered to get the dice out!

11. yorkiegit

yorkiegit Active Member

Promising signings but still concerned about our defence, pre season results back up our defence shortfalls
    I predict dour 1-0 defeat

12. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

I can't remember this board being so quiet at the start of the Season.Let's hope for an exciting game,one way or the other, to liven things up!

whitestallionblue73 likes this.
  13. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

You know what al, I have woken up today with a strong sense that a miracle will occur. After watching last night's game, and watching the so called runaway winners, I don't fear anyone in this league. The two signings this week have made me feel a lot more positive about our chances, and even today I think we'll win with plenty of goals scored (unfortunately at both ends)...I change my prediction to a 4-2 win

San Diego likes this.
  14. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Come on you blues......

15. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

It's match day again!
    Back to getting up early on a saturday morning.

16. whitestallionblue73

whitestallionblue73 Active Member

Let the games begin . 46 matches and hope in our hearts> Best to Town and all the fans on here over the next 9 months.:emoticon-0103-cool:

17. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Come on Ipswich!!

18. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Get in!!!

Here we go lads, we're off and running.

19. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Typical.

20. Spanish

Come on towan, ignore what dinosaur Mick has instructed you to do, go for all 3 points!