1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Thread: Watford v Burnley

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, Mar 1, 2012.

1. geitungur akureyrar

geitungur akureyrar Well-Known Member

The Match Thread
    The BBC or ESPN threads.

watford.gif burnley.jpg

WATFORD 3 v 2 BURNLEY
    Jay Rodriguez - goal 41 mín. 0:1
    Nyron Nosworthy - own goal 50 mín. 0:2
    Nyron Nosworthy - goal 54 mín. 1:2
    Alex Kacaniklic - goal 72 mín. 2:2
    Troy Deeney - goal 75 mín. 3:2
    Troy Deeney - caution 75 mín.
    Ross Wallace - caution 82 mín.
    Attendance: 11.612

Burnley travel south to WD18 to meet Watford. The Clarets look to improve on their record in and around London where West Ham United and Millwall have been their victims. The Hornets are looking to take a step closer to safety.

WATFORD

• The Manager – Sean Dyche

please log in to view this image

“You can’t guarantee results any week, especially not when the top of the table side come to town, but we pride ourselves on performance levels and we felt today we came away from our performance levels and that can undo you against anyone but certainly against the market leaders.”

“I think part of our development is not always going to be happy times. We have had spells this season were it hasn’t been happy times but we came through it and we will work to do it again because two games ago we were on a lovely run and performing nicely.”

• The Hornets

Martin Taylor is still injured and Stephen McGinn has played his first minutes of football for over one year. Troy Deeney and Sean Murray are both nursing strains but should be fit for the forthcoming game.

Todays team
    Tomasz Kuszczak
    Lee Hodson, Adrian Mariappa, Nyron Nosworthy - own goal 50 mín. and goal 54 mín., Lloyd Doyley
    Alex Kacaniklic - goal 72 mín. for Prince Buaben - 46 mín., Jonathan Hogg, John Eustace (c), Dale Bennett for Sean Murray - 89 mín.
    Troy Deeney - goal 75 mín. and caution 75 mín., Joe Garner

Substitutes: Scott Loach (GK), Dale Bennett, Alex Kacaniklic, Chris Iwelumo, Marcello Trotta

Craig Forsyth: found Burnley's goal in the first game.

Update on the Hornet's latest statistics

BURNLEY

• The Manager – Eddie Howe

"From our point of view, and probably for the firsT time in a long, long time, we didn't perform. That's probably as poor as I can remember. From the first whistle it was totally out of character for us.”

“Earlier in the season we had produced performances similar to today and certainly last season, but we felt we had moved on and were a better team and a real force to be reckoned with. So this is a bad slip and we need to regroup and recover and make sure we put it right.”

• The Clarets

Chris McCann’s hamstring injury is likely to keep him out of Saturdays match.

Last time out, v Millwall

Lee Grant
    Kieran Trippier, Brian Easton for Michael Duff - 46 mín., David Edgar, Ben Mee
    Chris McCann, Dean Marney, Ross Wallace - caution 82 mín., Jay Rodriguez - goal 41 mín.
    Martin Paterson for
    Charlie Austin - 68 mín., Danny Ings for Josh McQuoid - 82 mín.

Substitutes: Brian Easton, Marvin Bartley, Martin Paterson, Danny Ings, Brian Jensen,

Jay Rodriguez: scored Burnley's last goal.

Who will win?
    Current form
    After a short run undefeated Watford have really hit the rocks. If two defeats was not bad no goals and seven conceded is painful. Burnley are a little better with two defeats in the last two matches with one goal scored and four lost. Their form before that was average two draws at home and a win and a defeat while travelling with three goalsscored and conceded.
    The hosts will be looking to win three points to move closer to safety from relegation and Burnley to keep alive hopes of the play-offs.

Akureyri's Prediction: 2-1 On recent form with neither team managing to win both teams could move to three matches with a draw. Watford will be more desparate for the win and will get it after letting in the first goal.

There is a history

The last match: Burnley – Watford 2:2 The first game of the season started well for the visitors managing to take a 0:2 lead, but as is their skill they lost that. Burnley got the better statistics with much more possession and out shooting the Horents by 20 to 13. Craig Forsyth and Mark Yeates both scored their first for the Hornets.

Into the past There have only been fourteen league games between these two clubs in Watford. The hosts have seven wins to the Clarets five, with 23 goals to 15, so nearly three goals in each game. Burnley's best performance was their 1:3 win on their last visit. Watford's best was a 4:0 win in May 1980.

Strange but true The last hat trick by a Watford player, in a league football game, was Michael Chopra's effort in a 4:7 win for the Golden Boys in Burnley in the remarkable game in April 2003, unless you know something I do not!

skál/skål/cheers/salut

Don't forget
    The Hornets Nest
    Drop in for some match chat.
    Travellers may want some information about Watford.

2. babyhornetdan

babyhornetdan Well-Known Member

Great thread as always AK. No one makes them quite like you do.

This will be an interesting game. We need to put the last two behind us and get back on track. I have predicted 2-1 to the 'orns.

I will be getting down early again so, i would love to get Eddie Howe's autograph as well as Rodrriguez and any others who are willing lol.

3. Saxet

Saxet Well-Known Member

Burnley are not going up. We are not going down.

Cant we just settle it with a full-on scrap between Sean and Eddie in the centre circle ?

Home win. Three points. Danke.

4. My Name Is D

My Name Is D Member

Would pay good money to see that

5. vic-rijrode

vic-rijrode Well-Known Member

"Rodrriguez" - I admire people who can roll their r's.

6. babyhornetdan

I used to be able to when i did my GCSE (O level) in spanish. But since i gave it up i have lost the touch. :(

If you were commenting on the spelling mistake, i just copied AK's as Google Chrome did not like my spelling

7. vic-rijrode

Spanish - how times change - I did Latin at O level!

8. Al the Hornet

Al the Hornet Well-Known Member

3-1 to the Golden Boys. Simples!;)

9. babyhornetdan

That did come back in as a compulsory subject in Key stage 3, but that was 3 years after i did it lol. I would have loved to try my hand.

10. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Me too - managed a II ;) Very strange after only getting a V for English. <laugh>

11. babyhornetdan

Ok BB, you will have to explain that one to me. Im only 70 in personality, im still only 21 in mental capacity.

12. vic-rijrode

It may look at first glance like an arcane subject to do - but it was necessary to do it to have a crack at going to Oxford or Cambridge Universities in those days.

It does prove surprisingly useful when trying to figure out the meaning of words, English, French, Italian and yes, Spanish - many words have the same Latin root.......

Back to the match in hand.........doesn't quire have the same ring to it since Clarke Carlisle moved on - reunited with Aidy at Sixfields I see - maybe the last throw of his managerial career?

13. Bolton's Boots

II = 2, V = 5
    O levels were marked from 1 (high) to 7, with 5 being the lowest pass mark. Odd that I just scraped a pass in my 'native' tongue yet was almost fluent in a dead language.

14. vic-rijrode

They do a Scots Gaelic O Level? Or is that just Scots (as in Rabbie Burns?)

15. babyhornetdan

Ohh, i get it lol.

But yes, lets get back on topic lol. Once again i managed to divert the convo completely.

16. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Great thread Ak, as always, thank you :)

I'm with Al...

3-1 home win...simples :)

17. Bolton's Boots

<laugh> Doric ;) It's popular even on these boards - yon Buckie loon maks twa spikers.

18. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

Dybia a ni ll chraf a enilla. Ai 'r hymrysonfa ydy cara fel 'r blasa agorwr , 'i s yn cerdded at bod yn adlonni. (I think that we'll scrape a win. If the match is like as the season opener, it's going to be entertaining.) I thought as it's St David's Day (no-one picked up on my greeting in the Nest this morning) I'd provide some Welsh.

19. babyhornetdan

Sorry Barry. I was checking before my lecture and must have missed it. <doh>

20. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

sorry Barry, i saw it, and it went totally over my head lol