1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Thread: Watford v Sheffield Wednesday, 14/12/13.

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Mexican Hornet, Dec 12, 2013.

1. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

I could never bring myself to boo my own team but that was a desperately poor performance. Bellerin had a few skilful moments and Hall made some attempt to direct and lift others but apart from that there was little to commend. I'm puzzled as to why Deeney was given the captain's armband. Somewhere along the way he has lost the fighting spirit he had and spends too much time complaining and gesturing...not what we needed from a captain yesterday. It's disappointing that two decent away results haven't delivered any confidence at home. It's beginning to look from the body language that the team needs a psychologist as much as a coach. Losing an early goal ought to lead to renewed effort but there was no energy when we won the ball and moved forward. Wide players and midfielders were slower to get forward and make themselves available to receive a pass than Sheffield Wednesday and they didn't look a good team. I wish I knew what the answer was. I think a couple of strong characters in midfield would help. I'm not sure another striker to support Deeney is the answer unless it helps him to regain his appetite for the ball. One thing is certain, any kind of home win, scrappy or not, will come as an enormous relief to fans and players alike.

2. tworossjenkins

But it is like the players don't care. Deeney does, FF does, Fabbrini, Farioni don't. Cassetti, who I think is a class act, had a poor game today. The goal was not down to Bond and did anyone else think Nos was a bit lucky to stay on and no pen? I did not clap the boys off, they did not deserve it. Mate who knows things says Thorne and Bellerin have to play as per contract, so Zola has less room for manouvre.
    I say stick with GFZ.
    This is a bit about expectations. Last year maybe we overachieved too early so fans think the play offs are a shoe in. Maybe not and mid table is where we deserve to be..??

3. Roger68

Roger68 Active Member

The defence is error-prone, the midfield lightweight and the attack underwhelming. Some players can produce a moment of skill, but no player can drive/influence the team to victory over 90 minutes. Opponents just have to wait for our mistake(s), score and then frustrate us for the rest of the game. Possession without end product is useless, and we are as poor at defending set pieces as we are at making use of the ones we get. So what now---same manager , new players, or same players new manager? I think Zola has earned the right to at least 5 more games with a target of 7 points. Dyche was about one game from the sack about this time in his tenure--then we won after a bad run, and never looked back. Time for steady nerves and loyalty

4. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

COYH<wizard> COYH <magic> COYH <wizard> COYH <magic>COYH <cracker> COYH