1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Matt Tubbs - DC number 1 target

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Bristol Rovers boss Darrell Clarke is facing competition in a bid to land top January transfer target Matt Tubbs. Clarke has made the Bournemouth striker his number one transfer window target and is hoping that their time together at Salisbury City will help him persuade Tubbs, 30, to become part of Rovers’ bid to return to the Football League at the first time of asking. But after scoring 15 goals on loan at AFC Wimbledon since the start of the season, Tubbs has become hot property and is attracting the interest of four or five other clubs.

Putting together a financial package to persuade Tubbs, who is believed to be earning in excess of £5,000 per week at Bournemouth, could also prove to be another stumbling block for Rovers. The security of a long-term permanent contract could help Clarke sway a deal in Rovers’ favour for a player who is set to return to Bournemouth at the start of January to consider his options before becoming a free agent in the summer.

Wimbledon boss Neal Ardley, of course, is keen to keep Tubbs at Kingsmeadow for the rest of the season, but admitted that the chances of that happening are now looking increasingly unlikely. He said:
    “We’d love to have Matt Tubbs for the season but it is impossible to lock down the loan. Bournemouth and Matt have got the option in January to do what they need to do, we’ve tried to offer incentives for both parties to leave him here for the season. Matt is enjoying himself, but he is 30, his contract is up with Bournemouth in the summer and he will do what is right for him. When you’ve scored 13, 14 goals before December you’re going to have clubs sniffing around you. Is Matt going to be here at the end of January? I don’t know - watch this space. When they are someone else’s players and you’re only paying 25 per cent of their salary you can’t call the shots. We’re looking at other options but he wouldn’t be easy to replace.”

One club to have already publicly expressed an interest are League Two side Portsmouth, who could offer Tubbs the opportunity of a move without the need of relocation. Finances, however, remain tight at Fratton Park, but manager Andy Awford admitted: “I’ve seen him play a lot because he’s been on the south coast, he’s been at Salisbury and at Bournemouth. He is one we considered in the summer and one in the mix but it didn’t quite work out for whatever reason and he went to Wimbledon. Matt has done really well there, scored lots of goals and is available in January – and one we would definitely consider. He is one of a number of players we are considering because he is available, but you don’t always get what you want in football. I’m sure plenty of other clubs are considering him but unless some of our current players go out it won’t be able to happen anyway.”

Clarke, meanwhile, has yet to publicly declare an interest in Tubbs, but has confirmed that he would like to sign “two or three” new faces during the upcoming transfer window.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Bristo...tory-25777856-detail/story.html#ixzz3NHwaNuaB

2. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

The signing of a player who scores 15 goals between start of season and beginning of new year would show serious intent by the club to get out of the conference at the first attempt. Lets hope that the club can A persuade him to come
    B that the board can find the finance to support DC in his desire to bring in quality players and take this club to the next level

3. Black Sea Gas

Black Sea Gas Member

I hope the fact that this is now public knowledge does not mean that Rovers miss out on the man that could sort the Season. This aside my guess and expectation is that MT will be a Rovers player very soon. This will show (at last) real intent from the man at the top NH, to get us back where we belong. Back DC and get MT at the Mem.

4. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

I'd love to think that we could sign Tubbs but I'd be amazed if it happens. He's 30 and on form - why on earth would he consider upping sticks and signing for a non-league side? Finances might be tight at Pompey, but seriously, if they put together any kind of package he'd be daft not to sign for a big club like that.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Yeovil came sniffing about for him. DC would have to be as persuasive as a Professor of Persuasion from the University of Advanced Persuasion, in Persuasionville to land Tubbs. Fair play if he pulls it off.

5. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I think the only reason how DC can pull this off is that they knew each other at Salisbury. That may help him. Also 3 year contract would be the rumour which could help. He could be the player that makes the difference from a play off spot to champions spot.

Now we do need a striker who can bang them in more often than Akinde. But who do you drop to fit in this goal scorer? I like the partnership of Blissett and Taylor and they work well together. I wouldnt want to drop either of them. I would go 3 man attack or push Taylor out wide.

6. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

Less than half a season to get a promotion medal could well be an attractive proposition even if it is non-league.
    Portsmouth are going nowhere this season.

He could have a get out clause to leave if we do not get promoted.

7. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Well going by what the Wimbledon manager has said, Tubbs will make a decision quite quickly after their FA cup game vs Liverpool - so I presume by this time next week! Also Wimbledon have made the 1st move in trying to sign Tubbs. Over to Rovers to make a bid or risk losing the chance to sign him, if of course we are actually interested!

Here is what Wimbledons manager has said....

“We’ve offered Matt Tubbs what, for us, is an incredible contract. We’ve done everything in our powers to keep him. Matt’s got a decision to make. He could stay on the current loan deal he’s on now, but we’ve offered him the option of a permanent move if he wanted to leave Bournemouth. There are four or five clubs chasing him but when you’ve scored 15 goals that’s going to happen. We’re safe in the knowledge that myself and the board have tried really hard to keep him and Matt knows we want him. He’ll make his decision in the next few days. The Liverpool game is his focus but I would think after that he will make a decision about his future. He won’t want it to drag through January".

8. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

Is Tubbs playing for the Wombles tonight or is he cup tied?

9. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

playing. so is lambert. currently 1-1.

10. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

A lot of ex Rovers players on display tonight- Rickie, Harry Pell, Adam Barrett and Sesn Rigg who had a great game. <ok>

11. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

i havent watch the game so didnt know about the others <ok>

12. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

13. old timer

As Pompey according to the press seem to lurch from one financial crisis to another I would have thought that we would be a better long term place for him.as long as we can meet his financial requirements. We do appear to be fairly sound financially and therefore a better bet for his long term future.

Gasheadseamge79 likes this.
  14. old timer

According to the WDP Rovers have missed out on Tubbs and are looking at other options

15. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

16. old timer

In the past players either correctly or otherwise were linked with transfers to the Rovers now there never ever seems to be any rumours correct or otherwise. Does DC make his staff sign a secrecy clause or does he just not tell anybody

17. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

no idea mate <ok>

18. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

DC's probably going for someone else anyway...

19. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Ali Durden from BBC has tweeted this:

"Matt Tubbs close to signing for new club after ending B'mouth contract, but I'm told #BristolRovers have missed out. Moved onto new targets."

20. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Tubbs has now signed for Portsmouth.