1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mesut Ozil

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by PINKIE, Jan 14, 2019.

1. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

What do we do about this situation ?

Emery clearly doesn't think he's offering enough and has rightly hooked him. Trouble is without him we have almost zero creative input in the team.

Could we sell him ? There's very few other clubs that are going to pay him £350k and what would we get for him £35m-£40m That would certainly be enough to buy another creative mid.

Or do we keep him and hope that he finally manages to put in a shift every week ?

2. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

It seems Emery has the same issues with Ozil that most Arsenal fans do.

It's a weird situation because the guy is technically phenomenal and he still looks physically fit so the issue is really just enthusiasm/motivation. But he slows the game down for us - and shows no interest in actually defending.
    Emery actually needs a prime Fabregas type to play the playmaker role. A creative midfielder who can harass, close down and help defensively.

What makes this even worse is that Mhkitarian has been just as bad so we are really lacking in the creativity department at the moment.

Ozil would still excel in Italy and would probably do fairly well in Spain - where the tempo is a little slower.

At 350k I think we are probably better off selling him. That's the salary for two top players he is occupying and at the moment he's barely making the bench. The main issue is right now his price would be right down - he's not playing week in week out. He's no longer in the German National side and hasnt played in the Champions League for a couple of Seasons. Realistically I think we would only get £30 Million for him.

3. BobbyD

BobbyD President

doubt anyone wants him. Lets face it, any club who would want him (the smaller clubs) won't be able to afford his 350k wages a week (18m a year) or anywhere near that.

Any of the big clubs who do want him probably don't want to pay him 350k either. If they did they would have snapped him up last year when they could have got him for free. He's now another year older and he can't even start in this arsenal side so i'm not sure why he would have interest from a big side.

A class player on his day but emery is going to have to find a way to fit him in because right now your team isn't looking very creative.

Also he needs to drop xhaka the clown and play torreira

4. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Agreed. Ozil is still one of our best players. Against West Ham we had zero creativity. It's alright having two great strikers, but if there's no service to them, then you might as well have Morata up front ;)

Also you're right, nobody is going to want to take Ozil on £350k wages, and he'd probably have to take a step down in both club ambitions and wages if he wanted a move, which he won't. So we're stuck with him and need to get the best we can out of him.

As for Xhaka <doh> I've said from the beginning of this season that Emery should play Torreira and Guendouzi in the middle. Xhaka is just a liability.

5. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

What's perplexing is that our general defending as well as injury list seems to be even worse now than when we had Wenger in charge and that's saying something. But **** me that French twat didn't half leave our club in the ****ter with crap players on high wages and huge gaps in the squad that our cheap ass board won't pay to fix. I genuinely can't see us fixing this for a good long time. And who knows whether Emery is good enough to fix it anyway but let's give him until Jan 2020 before I give him a proper audit. A few transfers windows and 18 months to stamp his training and tactics on the team. If we don't see something useful by then then we never will. Liverpool needed huge spends to get to the top but you could see that Klopp could make a difference from not long after joining. It's not like Emery is looking like he can really polish turds either. I was expecting some slightly more dynamic changes in players desire and approach (a la Pogba at United) but most of the ****e is still just playing like a pile of ****e. Ah well, let's get players back fit, loan players like Suarez in and see what happens.

6. TheBear

Emery wants a starting 11 built around on workrate, pressing from the front and Wenger wanted a posession based side. Emery is trying to make his system work with a bunch of players that dont really suite his style at all.

An issue we have now is that Emery doesnt really control who the Club brings in and out. People keep saying 'Emery will bring in his own players' but the truth is Unai is only a coach he IS NOT a manager.

Minislat and Raul Sahlelli have total control over who we being in. Emery has little more than an opinion he can relay.

7. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Maybe Emery needs to adapt his ways first if the players aren't able to implement this style. You only need to see how Klopp has changed his style. Likewise Mourinho couldn't force his own philosophy onto those United players.

8. TheBear

For sure.

We have an attacking squad and setting them up soo defensively is just not working. If I was him I would just accept we are going to concede goals until we sign some defensive quality and just set the team up to attack.

9. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I disagree with this. These are supposedly top quality professional players, they are the ones that need to adapt and get on board with Emery's philosophy.

10. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

its a difficult time for sure - I was afraid of the board not backing Emery, and whether its because theres no money, or the wages are high, or whatever, it looks like they have decided not to back him. We cant really afford to skip transfer windows like this, but it is what it is. The other major problem is by the time we sort out our midfield and defense (if ever I guess) most likely the likes of auba, mkhi, ozil, will be too old and on the down, and they are our most expensive players.

I read somewhere someone saying that Denis Suarez is a very Everton-type signing, which were my thoughts exactly, though Ill give him a chance.

I think we are a couple of years away from being a decent side again.

11. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Yup. If you arent going to dole out now then you make a good point about hitting the reset button.

You need to sell of the higher earners and older members whilst they are still valuable and slowly make your way back to the correct standard as its unlikely you will get cl (the alternative route).

Might be worth selling someone like auba whilst he still has value and having laca as the number one striker as hes still relatively young

12. TheBear

No, Just no budget for players at the moment.

I disagree with this thoroughly. The idea that Dennis Suarez is 'Everton level' because hasnt managed to force his way into Barca's lineup is crazy. For a start he's competing with Messi, Iniesta, Dembele, Malcolm, Coutinho.

Firstly they have a FAR better squad than us, Secondly many players (Ibra/Thiago/ etc..) have failed at Barca and gone on to prove themselves as World class.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  13. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

As has been mentioned, the massive issue is the wages that the previous regime put him on. £350k p/w for a 29-year old at the time, whose performances had split opinion, was always going to be a very risky decision. It was either going to stimulate the team and push us on or it was going to backfire as Ozil reverted to type. Sadly for us, it backfired horribly.

That lucrative contract he was given was so clearly out of desperation.

There was no way the club would have lived down the utter embarrassment of having both Ozil and Sanchez leave in the same window/same year. Not just from the fans, but how would it have looked to other potential signings we wanted to make? How were other top sides going to take us seriously again?

Ozil and his agent knew they had us over a barrel. We either succumbed to their demands or we let yet another supremely talented player leave for nothing.

However, it was entirely the club's fault for letting both of them run their contracts down in the first place. I have no idea what Dick Law or Ivan Gazidis were doing when it came to contract negotiations, but the fact we've lost Sanchez, Cazorla, Ramsey and Gnabry for free, when we could have easily got £150m-£250m for the lot of them if none of them wanted to stay, really doesn't reflect well on their time at the club.

When you look at the fees Liverpool have gotten for some of their unproven players, it puts us to shame.

Meanwhile, the likes of Jenkinson, Xhaka (who will NEVER be good enough for us) and Elneny got bumper contracts and pay rises for doing...err...what exactly?

People are pointing the finger at Kroenke for why we are where we are, but we're the 3rd highest net spenders since Klopp arrived at Liverpool. 4th highest if you want to go back to 2012. We have the 9th highest wage bill in Europe. Liverpool's wage bill is only £9m more than ours, yet they are miles ahead of us in terms of competing and in terms of general squad development. And this is ALL without Kroenke needing to invest any of his personal wealth.

The fact of the matter is we have had a lot of money at the club. But a lack of strategy, unclear planning and bad decision-making has led to us not spending it wisely. It is also why we are in danger of breaking Premier League wage control rules AND FFP regulations.

We now have a situation where we have an ageing, average group of players who are on big money that we can't shift because no-one else will give them the time of day due to their excessive wage demands. There is a lack of balance and quality within our squad, but we can't do anything about it now. We have to wait until the Summer before we get any significant money to spend.

It has been a complete shambles from top to bottom. And it's set us back a good 3-4 years too.

The only thing we can do is just hope Emery ****houses his way into the top 4 or win the Europa. We literally have no other choice but to hope we get better results.

TheBear likes this.
  14. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

I believe that you have to support the manager and bring in the players that he needs, however, this does take time and the new manager has to use what's at his disposal until changes occur. That includes a player he doesn't fancy, namely Ozil. I agree with the rest that he needs to go based on his astronomical wages and the fact he doesn't meet our managers requirements, but it's criminal that Emery isn't using Ozil when we have limited creativity in our team. He need to find a way of fitting him in and make it work. £350k a week is a HUGE amount of money to pay someone that isn't playing, especially when that player can give so much on the pitch.

You can say what you want, play Ozil and he will assist aplenty. Quality doesn't suddenly disappear overnight...

15. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

I think Emery is struggling to adapt to English football. He may have become slightly overconfident after a rather fortunate run of results in his first half season.

I worry that his tactics are actually playing into the hands of the top teams, in that playing the same strategy and tactics as the other top 6 do, with a smaller budget will result in 6th place. You cant win, by doing the same thing, with a smaller budget and the same methods.

If you think Liverpool and Man City are perfect and doing everything right they can't be beaten. The only solution is to come up with a rock-paper-scissors way to defeat their strategy. You cant defeat a high press with a similar high press if you cant outspend them. We have to go to a Leicester City long ball counter-attack strategy or something else. A manager must adapt his strategy to his players, the players cannot be changed as easily and will yield an inferior team. In the long term, perhaps, but it is far too soon for this.

16. TheBear

Unai feels that Ozil isnt giving 100% - he has told him to put more effort in, brought Ozil back into the side then dropped him again. ( a few times now)

If Ozil is still not doing what the manager is asking of him he deserves to be dropped.

Fans shouldnt be criticising Emery for dropping a lazy player.

17. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

I support Emery's decision.

Only because people are slamming Emery for dropping him, but if he played him people would be slamming him for playing a lazy player. Its a lose-lose situation.

winifred122 and TheBear like this.
  18. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

https://arseblog.news/2019/01/ornst...sted-to-ozil-its-best-for-him-to-leave-audio/

Ornstein saying that Emery and the club hierarchy all believe that it's best if Ozil moves on because they don't see him in their plans. And they've told him this to his face.

Their decision to do this is financially driven as well as performance-related. But Ozil doesn't want to go (on £350,000 p/w, can't blame him).

He's apparently taking extra gym and training sessions to work his way back in the side, as he apparently wasn't working as hard as the other players in previous training sessions, but the club still feel it's best if he moves on.

This is going to be a big problem IMO.

And the timing is not idea either.

I want Ozil to leave in the Summer, but right now, we are in a battle for 4th (just) and in 2 cup competitions. Why tell him this now when it's better to have a player of his vision and passing (which no-one else in our squad has) in our team? Why do this midway through the season when we need every single player to be helping in any way they can?

I hope I'm wrong, because I'm very pro-Emery, but if this decision backfires, I fear a large portion of the fanbase will start to turn on him. This has Pogba vs Mourinho MK II written all over it.

19. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Tbh its stupid. They should play him and use him.

Sidelining him isnt going to help. Firstly maybe they are thinking he will take a wage cut to go elsewhere. Big mistake.

Second hes one of your more creative players and you are seriously struggling for it at the moment .Big mistake

Lastly if he isnt playing and showcasing his skills, why would anyone want to get mugged off from arsenal as well as pay him the big bucks if no one knows if he can still do it.

20. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

The whole thing is a shambles at Arsenal atm. We're shipping out Ramsey, trying to get rid of Ozil who nobody wants and we've got no cash to bring any players in.

bobo_97 likes this.