1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Michael Owen

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Charlie Dogscock, Sep 3, 2019.

?

Is Michael Owen a Toon Legend?

Poll closed Sep 10, 2019.
  1. Yes

5.6%
  2. No

50.0%
  3. Purple Dildos Rock

44.4%
  1. Captainpancakes

Captainpancakes Well-Known Member

exactly the issue

ignorance

that is your issue ! like I already concluded fingers in ears spouting utter hate

2. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

The Stephen Carr story was to do with your comment about him being booed.

Martins had a better scoring record than Owen, Owen massively underacheived considering his previously levels of goalscoring and the expectations of him.

Do you think Kluivert was good for us too?

3. Captainpancakes

again no relevance whatsoever !

kluivert got ****ed over when the fans got robson sacked and souness came in though

why are creating separate argument ??

the fact is owen had a very very good career scoring goals at 3 massive clubs and even at Newcastle and England

Newcastle fans got in his arse because he wanted to play for his country and it no doubt pissed him off like it would any human being

4. cronemeister

cronemeister Well-Known Member

What like you did on the last page with Joelinton? **** me mate.

I think Kluivert ****ed himself over to be fair like many that have done before him.....wonder if he every found that diamond stud out of his ear that he lost on the pitch somewhere (might have been wolves I think?

I don't think fans got on Owens back cos he wanted to play for England either. I don't think any fan would begrudge a player from their club representing country as well. What hacked us off was that he seemed to "prefer" playing for England than he did for the club paying him £120k a week. Normally players stop playing for their country to prolong their club careers, Michael Owen seemed to want to do it the other way round!

5. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Well if you are comparing what he has achieved with your average Joe on the street, yeah he had a stellar career. If you are comparing him with other footballers I think he probably falls back into the good category.

You could separate off his England career though. He had a very good international record for me. If you think of the Argentina goal, or the Germany hat trick, they are iconic moments of that England era. So I think everyone should highly respect that side of his career.

Once he left Liverpool his club career was pretty much over. Real Madrid couldn't wait to see the back of him, we couldn't, he was just a bit part at Man U and Stoke was just a pay day. I don't think he was terrible at any of those clubs bar Stoke, but he was a long long way from top class. Anyone classing his club career as stellar would have to be certified I think. Most of his honours were picked up at Liverpool bar the token league, league cup and charity shield medals at Man U. If you took his peak years only his career was stellar. If you look overall, its just a good career such was the drop off.

Not his fault, its a simple case of physiology. His greatest asset was his pace which from 17-23 was absolutely electric. He then slowed and because the rest of his game was not top notch bar his finishing, his level sunk quite a bit.

JakartaToon likes this.
  6. Captainpancakes

I think he falls into one of the best strikers this country has produced which is better than just good.

The fact is hes told a few home truths.

If i was him damn right id have gone to the world cup.

7. Captainpancakes

Not a seperate argument at all. That was a question btw

Id have gone to the world cup !

You would to

8. Warmir Pouchov

You have to be joking/wumming with this one? I've heard some utter garbage in my time but this is near the top of the tree. Do you not remember which Kluivert turned up at Newcastle? The fat **** who clearly still had loads of ability but wasn't really bothered anymore. This was further evidenced after he left Newcastle. Ask the Valencia and PSV fans what they thought of Kluivert.

You seem to be mistaking the Ajax and Barcelona Kluivert with the one post Barca. The bloke went from elite to just a good striker. The sad thing with Kluivert was he could still do it, we saw the odd glimpse. If he'd got himself in shape he'd have ripped it up wherever he went, he was that good. In his defence, and I know many will say so **** he was getting paid loads, he had off field issues which I think basically ended his career. His marriage broke down and his wife didn't move to England. She divorced him 2 months later. He probably brought it on himself by tomming about in Barca, but its still a **** of a thing which has to affect your football. He was never the same after that and we were just a bit unlucky. Some will say we should have done our homework but I'd have risked Bobby getting the best out of Kluivert too.

9. Captainpancakes

Nope and we went through this at length yesterday.

You cant and wont fool me... michael owen was and still is like numerous other players treat like **** by our unrealistic fans.. hes told you all straight and rather than have a rethink are spitting back.... no class as usual..

10. Warmir Pouchov

Maybe in the first half of his career. But in the 2nd half he was a pale shadow of that striker and pretty average. I think the fact he can acknowledge this himself is pretty brutally honest to be fair.

He has told a few home truths, a few lies, and manipulated the truth in others circumstances. No problem for me, he's no different to Roy Keane, Shearer etc. All massive egos, and the person at the centre of a storm only sees it from their eyes. I don't know what the big deal is with the comments to be honest. Sells a few copies I suppose and his PR company will be driving this furore on his instruction. The fans and Shearer don't realise he is playing them with every bit of attention they give him. Its what he has set out to do because he'll get rich off it.

11. Warmir Pouchov

Nah you're just talking **** mate <ok>

12. Warmir Pouchov

I think Chaos is just a bit nostalgic. He just loved the 90's when Kluivert and Owen were actually top class.

Munson. likes this.
  13. Captainpancakes

Not the case however because im not as ignorant ill say this.

I think theres an argument for both sides of this debate.

Just because we dont agree doesnt mean either side is talking nonsense .

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  14. Captainpancakes

Fair enough but injuries didnt help! His goal scoring records at every club including ours was actually good. My point is still the same.. hes told a few home truths the fans dont like hearing and as usual theyve reacted like the people on jeremy kyle .

15. Captainpancakes

can I also say that Michael owen is a little twat of that I have no doubt

16. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

Are there any fans of any club he had played for that thinks he was great?

17. Captainpancakes

Most football fans these day are nerds and plebs. They never even remembered their pe kit to avoid physical activity and in my experience know nothing about football. Then theres the high end fan that goes to games to try and look good... or in other words is an arsehole. Of course theres still a percentage that have actually played football that know something , but not enough of them sadly.

18. YAJERK

YAJERK Active Member

Didn't Kluivert score 13 goals in a season for us? Or am I making that up.

I quite liked him. He scored that backheel goal. Henry scored one like a week later and was given all the plaudits and goal of the season :emoticon-0114-dull:

Munson. likes this.
  19. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

Yes, but the majority of those goals were against mickey mouse teams in the European Cup.

6 goals in 25 league games was hardly a great return for someone who was previously one of the world's best strikers. He obviously had great natural ability, but clearly didn't give a ****, he was injured all the time, overweight and more interested in night clubs than being on the field.

20. YAJERK

YAJERK Active Member

He was our second top goalscorer that season, and 6 in 25 (When if memory serves he spent a lot of time coming off the bench) would be good by today's standards... Just saying.

Munson. and Flash like this.