1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mitrovic ban

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Mar 20, 2023.

?

How long should Mitrovic be banned for

1. 3 matches

4 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. 4 matches

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  3. 5 matches

7 vote(s)
    11.7%
  4. 6 matches

8 vote(s)
    13.3%
  5. 7 matches

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  6. 8 matches

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  7. 9 matches

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  8. 10 matches

23 vote(s)
    38.3%
  9. 11 matches

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  10. More than Di Canio

11 vote(s)
    18.3%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic is facing a lengthy ban after the Football Association said its standard punishment for his sending off at Manchester United was "clearly insufficient".
    The striker has been charged with violent and improper conduct after a straight red card for pushing referee Chris Kavanagh during Sunday's 3-1 FA Cup quarter-final defeat.
    Manager Marco Silva has also been charged with abusive behaviour towards match officials.
    Fulham boss Silva will also face an improper conduct charge for allegedly throwing a water bottle in the direction of the assistant referee.
    And the club has landed an additional charge of failing to control its players in the Old Trafford encounter.
    A player is typically suspended for three matches after being shown a straight red card for violent conduct, but that ban can be extended, depending on the circumstances.
    Paolo di Canio was banned for 11 games in 1998 for shoving referee Paul Alcock when playing in a Premier League game for Sheffield Wednesday against Arsenal.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
  2. The Exile II

The Exile II Well-Known Member

Did the ref fall over theatrically? Makes a big difference.

RTB likes this.
  3. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

he also has a bit of form for this and while i hate to see 'extended bans' i have to stick with what i said...if that means some extended bans to stop the harrassing officials then i am all for it BUT it has to be followed by all the officials for every player of every team, if we now see a man city player (for example) do the same thing and not get a card then i guess there will be 'hell on'.

i went for a 5 match ban and i would suggest double that if he does it again same season with new season being a clean slate.

RTB likes this.
  4. Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon Well-Known Member

It was **** all. The ranting and raving he did after the red card was worse than the "push".

It's obviously not acceptable behaviour but the standard 3 match ban is sufficient in my opinion.

RTB likes this.
  5. RedNWhite4Life

RedNWhite4Life Well-Known Member

It wasn't a full on shove like Di Canio it was more a way of saying hey you I'm talking to you. It was unacceptable and I feel the reaction to being sent off when he kept going in an aggresive manner should be what is punished. I'd say something like a 6 game ban don't think it warrants a Di Canio style ban after all Di Canio had already been sent off it wasn't the push that got him sent off so in theory Di Canio only received an 8 game ban for his.

Think the FA will make an example of him which I kind of agree with but I personally don't think the crime warrants such severe punishment.

RTB likes this.
  6. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

No but he certainly got covered in Serbian spital

7. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

I said 3 but changed my mind, 4.

RTB likes this.
  8. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Fernandes pushed the lino away in Man Utds previous game as well and should have been sent off. I'd be giving them both 6 games minimum.

Nordic, C Montgomery Burns and RTB like this.
  9. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Yep - even though it wasn't as aggressive as Mitrovic, he still pushed the official.

Oliver's Army likes this.
  10. Oliver's Army

There's a fair few refs and lino's I'd ban for longer than 6 games though. The bigger problem in football is the standard of officiating imo.

Bigmackem and RTB like this.

11. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

6 game ban. It wasn't as bad as Di Canio but it was OTT aggressive and deserves his punishment doubled.

I'm sure the lino pushed Bruno first, tbf. I dont think the incidents are comparable at all.

12. Oliver's Army

Lino should have flagged and ref should have sent Bruno off. Shouldn't do that to the officials. Its not just about "is it aggressive enough". I was watching that Man Utd game with my son who plays U11 and ive had to explain to him why that's unacceptable. If he (or his teammates) think that they can do that on a Saturday ant grassroots level then we may as well pack in. We have had 16/17/18 year old refs (male and female) this season who have made good and bad decisions but they are learning their trade as well but we suck it up and get on with it.

Then we get ****ers like Bruno, Mitrovic and Silva doing that stuff which doesn't help anyone at any level of the game.

Dorset, Wes, Nordic and 4 others like this.
  13. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Rules:
    A yellow card for physical contact with any match official in a non-aggressive manner (e.g. an inquisitive approach to grab the official's attention). A red card for physical contact with match officials in an aggressive or confrontational manner.

Oliver's Army likes this.
  14. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Di Canio wouldn't have scared Mrs Smug tbh ...

... Mitrovic looked totally out of control and the referee had good cause to be worried.

Needs a serious ban and three games just doesn't send out a strong enough message imo.

I can't remember the reputation of Fulham ever being so damaged.

samwise_new likes this.
  15. Daz

Daz Well-Known Member

The problem is there is no consistency from the FA whenever anything like this happens. Fernandes got nowt, Di Camino got 11 games so I’m going for a 5 game ban.

They need to send a message that this isn’t ok to do this but on the other hand they do nothing regarding verbals from players on the pitch towards officials. The whole thing needs a massive shake up and the FA have no balls to change anything.

rowley and RTB like this.
  16. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

I used to volunteer to run the line for my son's team, and on a few occasions got abuse from players when they didn't like the decision, it is a tough job and it makes you wonder why any of these young kids want to be a ref.

17. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

Disagree. He's verbally and physically abused him. He's attempted to intimidate him. This cannot be allowed to go unpunished

Dorset, Wes, Nordic and 4 others like this.
  18. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

I used to run the line for my son's u12s. One of the opposition Dads was hurling abuse at me for an offside decision. I casually advised him that if he didn't stop shouting at me, I'd be inserting the flag where the sun don't shine. He went quiet as a mouse after that

19. Oliver's Army

Some of the stuff is crazy what goes on from parents and some coaches towards young people who want to become refs. I've seen half a dozen parents going bezerk at a ref at full time for a marginal offside decision, just because their precious little Johnny might be on the losing side and be upset for an hour after the game. Just take the little twat to McDonald's after the match and he will forget about it. <laugh>

Dorset, rowley, Brainy Dose and 3 others like this.
  20. Oliver's Army

Exactly. And off he goes. Its a simple rule, don't ****ing grab/push/pull the officials. Especially when it's a decision based on the ref seeing multiple replays form various angles.