1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

MKM Stadium Now Cashless...

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Mr Hatem

Mr Hatem Well-Known Member

2. Ric Glasgow

Ric Glasgow Well-Known Member

I think a lot of these builders merchants that deal with tradesmen will eventually move towards account only sales.This in effect could nullify self employed builders from claiming that they earned the minimum when the reality is they've spent £100k on roof tiles etc over the course of a year...

I know of some greedy twats that deal 'cash in hand',pocket a grand a week and claim benefits...

3. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Next think you know travellers will accept card payments for trimming in your hedges and tarmacing your drive, issuing you with a receipt with their VAT registration number on it. Maybe...

4. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

You want to look up what went on in Greece.<laugh>

5. BlackAndAmberGambler

BlackAndAmberGambler Well-Known Member

Mr Hatem likes this.
  6. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

Look on a £20 note, from the Bank of England, 'I promise to pay the the bearer by demand the sum of twenty pound'
    Cash is legal tender and if an establishment refuses to take it go elsewhere, as I have done already, one pub immediately changed their policy and the same at the bar at Hull Truck.
    Got to conform when going to City though which will mean I won't be spending much.

steverico and Newlandcasual2 like this.
  7. Mr Hatem

No religion ta.

BlackAndAmberGambler likes this.
  8. x

x Well-Known Member

the disappearance of cash is potentially a major evil of digitalisation where there are repressive regimes, including the pervasive "cancel culture" currently effing with concepts like freedom of speech and freedom of thought. current cancel culture tactics include shaming companies that trade/otherwise deal with targetted individual into closing down accounts, bannings from stores, etc. take that to its clear extreme and you get people being unable to deal with banks, unable to use utility companies, and unable to purchase the basics of life. methods that will be used aplenty in communist countries.

9. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

And then the internet goes down or there's a power cut and everyone is ****ed.

10. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

That’s a very good point. There's been plenty times I've wanted to use my card to pay, but the machine's down and I don't have cash on me. Can't see that happening at the MKM obvs <yikes>

11. Mr Hatem

Just like it is here. You can't even buy electricity credit when the system is down.

12. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

You’ve got that the wrong way round, banks charge far more to bank cash, than they take on card payments.

SW3 Chelsea Tiger likes this.
  13. Tickton Tiger.

Not in my business they don't.

14. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Unless you’re getting shafted by whoever provides your merchant services, you’ll be paying 20-35p for every £100 you take on a debit card and 75p-£1 for every £100 you bank in cash (credit cards are higher than debit cards, but sill less than cash).

It’s obvious why banks want to move away from cash, it needs counting and costs a fortune to move around, far cheaper for them to do everything digitally.

15. allowentry

allowentry Well-Known Member

Trouble is they are doing you a favour as paying then cash results in 20% off your bill for the work done to your house which can be thousands. But you don't have anything to fall back on if anything goes wrong, same with guvvy jobs.

16. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

In a way but actually they’re just charging astronomical prices for their work nowadays
    But getting a good builder whose reliable is like getting a good owner!! Nigh on impossible

17. steverico

steverico Well-Known Member

My card machine charges me 1.6% a customer wanted to pay a heating job on her card £2300 in total, I said sure you pay the near £37 charges I will get, soon decided to bank transfer it, I know big companies will get better rates but it’s a massive bonus for card companies, all it does is put prices up, cash should still be king.

18. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

If you took that to the Bank of England, and asked them to honour that promise, what would they give you?

19. Tickton Tiger.

Call me old fashioned but I remember the days when the Bank used to pay the customer by way of interest for every pound they banked with them. They then made their money by loaning your money out to lenders at a higher rate of interest then they ( the Banks) paid the saver.

20. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

Bravo sir!

I find the MKM to be a Bermuda triangle of phone /internet reception but regardless of that the tech fails too often and is therefore too unreliable to be the sole means of payment.

Cash is king and doesn't need passwords, batteries, the internet, a fixed number of users etc.

Club should expand rather than narrow its options.